2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Renault is spending money and recruiting heavily for their factory team. Mclaren has been sliding backwards. Renault will be nipping at the front before Mclaren; they are ahead of them now.

There are now three manufacturer teams. Red Bull now having a works status PU once again. It doesn't look like Mercedes or Ferrari are interested/have openings. He is likely looking at Renault and Red Bull. If he jumped to Renault, Red Bull would take up Sainz once again.

To keep this slightly on topic, I say either Alonso sticks around for another year or leaves for Indy and Norris slides in.
Honda!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dren

I thought about that when I was typing my earlier post but figured he'd just retire. Maybe he'd like to stick around at Mclaren for another year.
Honda!

zoroastar

if daniel does move to mclaren there is always a small possibility that alonso could be at redbull next season.

dren

zoroastar wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 19:22
if daniel does move to mclaren there is always a small possibility that alonso could be at redbull next season.
I think they'd rather just call back Sainz but you never know in F1.
Honda!

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 19:09
Honda option for Mclaren in 2021? As a customer, right?
Yes, I know there's all the blown up spat in the media but the guys actually on the shop floor still get on with their counterparts, and they'll all tell you they'd be happy to go back once Honda gets themselves sorted out, it's just a shame it wasn't till the later half of last year that they did otherwise Mcl would still be with them.

Problem is now Red Bull is in the mix they might stick their oar into any such deal, should it ever come to it.

diffuser

techman wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 16:31
if daniel goes to mclaren, the only reason would be for money. i dont blame him if he is thinking of retiring soon . get the money, mclaren will never win a title any time soon. so take the opportunity
That and running from Honda!!!

RonDennis
RonDennis

PhillipM wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 19:34
Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 19:09
Honda option for Mclaren in 2021? As a customer, right?
Yes, I know there's all the blown up spat in the media but the guys actually on the shop floor still get on with their counterparts, and they'll all tell you they'd be happy to go back once Honda gets themselves sorted out, it's just a shame it wasn't till the later half of last year that they did otherwise Mcl would still be with them.

Problem is now Red Bull is in the mix they might stick their oar into any such deal, should it ever come to it.
If they were still running with Honda, they would again put the blame on Honda.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 18:24
Depends how far ahead he's looking, if he thinks RB might struggle next year while they get on top of the Honda packaging as well as new rules, and he's thinking 2021 with the new ruleset might be a turnaround for Mclaren (who still have the option to run the Honda then if it's looking likely to blow the Renault away), maybe he'll gamble.

It'd take a huge commitment from Mclaren, and he'd have to have been treated pretty poorly by RB (but the, up 'till this year he was, and the MV collision won't have helped) this year to even consider it.
Say what now? Do you have any links or is this insider knowledge?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Chasis_1992

zoroastar wrote:
Impossible. How could Alonso run Le Mans 2019 with Toyota and F1 with Red Bull Honda?

Jolle
Jolle

Chasis_1992 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 00:00
zoroastar wrote:
Impossible. How could Alonso run Le Mans 2019 with Toyota and F1 with Red Bull Honda?
I don’t think Honda will be keen to have someone shouting “GP2 engine” again. Even a good chance Alonso has to look for a non/Honda car to compete in Indy with

godlameroso

Frankly I think it's water under the bridge at this point, if McLaren wanted to run Honda engines again they could, they just wouldn't get any of the perks they had before.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 00:08
Frankly I think it's water under the bridge at this point, if McLaren wanted to run Honda engines again they could, they just wouldn't get any of the perks they had before.
And what about RedBull? McLaren blocked them from having Honda PU’s sooner, I think they will return that favor with pleasure.

godlameroso

Red Bull is under no threat from McLaren even with the same engine, maybe if McLaren fixes its aero issues and takes a big step forward, but at the moment, I dont think Red Bull is worried about McLaren.
Saishū kōnā

techman
techman

mclaren messed up their aero in 2013. from that year onwards, they couldnt get it right. they would need someone like adrian newey to turn thing around for them.
no it will never happen. surely honda learnt a lesson with mclaren. they cant repeat the same again.