2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Amus:

Just love their Motorhome =D> =D>

Now we just need fast Cars [-o< [-o<

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

On the radio Alonso didn't say "I don't care" but "I don't care for Grosjean" that he was approaching him, but ye FOM decide to cut it and make some more drama. And of course, every time Alonso is on radio they broadcast it, like other drivers are silent.

Godius

What happened to the Segafredo sponsoring? They always have been a close sponsor but I can't seem to find the branding on the car anymore.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso Fan wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 01:48
I think Alonso's had enough

http://sport.bt.com/f1/mclaren-consider ... 4280495584
I think he will leave F1...was hoping for Renault switch, but looks like Sainz and Hulk are staying too. Indycar 99% me thinks.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

mwillems

Jackles-UK wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 03:28
Let’s be honest, the absolute “worst case” scenario for McLaren if Alonso leaves is pairing Vandoorne with Norris. Both could be GP2/F2 Champions by year out (if Norris can stay the course) and Stoffel has only been about a tenth behind Alonso most weekends - I guarantee a lot of drivers on the grid would struggle being as close as that, Kimi included! Hardly reason to panic, rush out and get someone in quick for the sake of it.

As much as I would love to see Kimi back at McLaren, I feel that unless they get a truly world class driver like Alonso/Ricciardo in, dumping £10m on a drivers salary just for the sake of it is unwise; put it towards hiring a few top-class aero/powertrain people instead.
Button back for a season, anyone?? :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:01
Jackles-UK wrote:
Let’s be honest, the absolute “worst case” scenario for McLaren if Alonso leaves is pairing Vandoorne with Norris. Both could be GP2/F2 Champions by year out (if Norris can stay the course) and Stoffel has only been about a tenth behind Alonso most weekends - I guarantee a lot of drivers on the grid would struggle being as close as that, Kimi included! Hardly reason to panic, rush out and get someone in quick for the sake of it.

As much as I would love to see Kimi back at McLaren, I feel that unless they get a truly world class driver like Alonso/Ricciardo in, dumping £10m on a drivers salary just for the sake of it is unwise; put it towards hiring a few top-class aero/powertrain people instead.
Button was terrible in Monaco last year.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 13:27
Alonso Fan wrote:

I think he will leave F1...was hoping for Renault switch, but looks like Sainz and Hulk are staying too. Indycar 99% me thinks.
I think if McLaren show life at resolving this issue. He will stay. I think this threat of him leaving is to start a pity party and have someone reach out to grab him.

Like or Hate ALO he drives ratings. His Indy stint made him really popular in the USA which doesn't hurt him either.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:55
mwillems wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:01
Jackles-UK wrote:

Button was terrible in Monaco last year.
I'm joking, and I'm fairly certain he won't return... :lol:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

godlameroso

techman wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 09:33
The current car is actually very good, except for two crucial details, if they fix that the car will come good. Will it be good enough to win? Hard to say, but it'll definitely be faster than Renault or Haas.
you reckon their aero is good. then why are they slower to renaults.? let be honest. if you take alonso out of that mclaren , its basically another williams. alonso is getting the best of it and still struggles to match the renaults. that show how bad the car is . the car has not one issue , so many issues. so for them to beat renault this season will be a suprise to me. what mclaren need to do completely focus their attention to 2019 season early
The aero is good except for 2 crucial details which keeps them from exploiting the full performance of the car, which as I've stated is actually very good, or the others wouldn't bother copying them.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27064

This is the thread where I explain where they need to focus to turn their season around. Maybe they can't really change that area because of how the car is engineered. Ferrari made this area modular so they could keep upgrading it without requiring big changes to the car. I fear McLaren doesn't have that luxury baked into the car, and they're working to re-engineer that part of the car so they can start experimenting. It's a huge technical challenge to accomplish this mid season but the payoff is worth it, particularly since this part not only unlocks all the performance of the car but it's going to be exactly the same next year.

The only thing that changes is the height of the leading edge of the bargeboard, which won't have much of an aero hit on total performance of this area.
Saishū kōnā

BJHF1
BJHF1

JonoNic wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 10:21
He's (techman) trying to control the conversations on these threads. He completely ignores topics that doesn't push his agenda. It's always an , "I think..." conversation with him.
In reality he's just stating the truth. Thinking you're just one or two quick fixes away from completely turning the situation around and showing the cars great potential is a bit naive. You've got an armchair aero guy claiming the cars performance is very good minus 2 aero details. Maybe he needs to be reminded the car is being lapped atm.

Techman and other critics probably ignore a lot of convo because in the big picture they feel it is irrelevant. I think at this point it's becoming clear, major changes are needed to turn this situation. The small talk is over.

ronanharris09
ronanharris09

Godius wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 12:24
What happened to the Segafredo sponsoring?
The contract ends in 2017, that's all.
Godius wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 12:24
They always have been a close sponsor
Even if the they used to be close enough.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 13:27
Alonso Fan wrote:

I think it's almost certain that Alonso will race in Indycar next season. Pairing Lando with Kimi might be the only realistic option as I can't see Ricardo jumping into the McLaren mess, unless McLaren turn things around quickly in the next few races.

dren

So where would Vandoorne be going?
Honda!

f1universe
f1universe

Kimi?, he will drive to collect the check and can we expect him to do anything decent if the car is not great?. Lando and Stoffel is the way to go.

Phil

dren wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 16:58
So where would Vandoorne be going?
Haas?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter