Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 11:24
LM10 wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 09:43
Is there anything new on the Ferrari this weekend? According to AMuS there are gonna be aero upgrades in Silverstone.
Haven't seen anything new. I guess they might give their new FW, which debuted in France, a few more tests. Aero update coming in Silverstone but I don't think it'll be big since they just recently had a big bargeboard update in Canada and ofc the new FW. Maybe some floor/diffuser changes.
I wonder if they would go for some McLaren RW endplates, just like Merc.
Ferrari has tended towards "piece meal" upgrades as opposed to large packages for a while now.

And yeah no upgrades that i can tell this weekend.

LM10
LM10

Thank you for the answers.

ScrewCaptain27

Picture of the turning vanes mounted under the chassis:
Motorsport.com
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Vanja #66

In race thread there are mentions of Ferrari bringing new floor and diffuser. If it happens, it's a very good effort from the team. In my view, they aren't working their diffuser quite as hard as Red Bull or Merc. Complete guess (and most likely horse $hit), it just fits my overall view on these three cars and their characteristics.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 18:57
In race thread there are mentions of Ferrari bringing new floor and diffuser. If it happens, it's a very good effort from the team. In my view, they aren't working their diffuser quite as hard as Red Bull or Merc. Complete guess (and most likely horse $hit), it just fits my overall view on these three cars and their characteristics.
Half of that is discussed here:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... x-1055868/

MtthsMlw

I wonder what they'll do with the diffuser, I feel like the design they're currently using is kinda maxed out(?) some other teams like RB are using very similar solutions for a while now and you don't see a lot of 'movement' there. Ofc they're quite limited with what they can do in that area.
I also hope that we'll see some interesting changes to the sidepod inlet and sidepod deflector since that one photo without the aero parts showed that behind them lies quite a normal inlet. Probably not this weekend but sometime in the future eventually.

Vanja #66

There's always room for small geometry changes that can make all the difference in different stages of the lap (better corner entry/exit, mid corner, braking stability, etc).
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

jaba.hut

Or maybe with some geometry alterations they can make diffuser more effitient in range of high speed corners and adjusted to character of Silverstone compared to MC. And slow speed corners they can maybe fix with mechanical traction instead of aero. Maybe you loose some, but you gain on other side which is more dominant in Silverstone.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Quite often the case, diffuser geometery is very inherently tied to ride height and control of such, so you may run slightly different designs for different types of circuits.

Sevach
Sevach

MtthsMlw wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 20:58
I wonder what they'll do with the diffuser, I feel like the design they're currently using is kinda maxed out(?) some other teams like RB are using very similar solutions for a while now and you don't see a lot of 'movement' there. Ofc they're quite limited with what they can do in that area.
I also hope that we'll see some interesting changes to the sidepod inlet and sidepod deflector since that one photo without the aero parts showed that behind them lies quite a normal inlet. Probably not this weekend but sometime in the future eventually.
Ferrari is the one team (from the contenders) that came late to this diffuser design, in Australia they still weren't on top of it, so there might be something more to get there.

Maybe a combination, like Sauber recently went too?

MtthsMlw

Spoon RW is back.
via Albert Fabrega

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Is that a little monkey seat wing? Or just something therefore for setup/installation?

MtthsMlw

Slightly altered RW endplates.
Old: tested in China

New:

MtthsMlw

New/different fins on the rear brake duct.
via @motorlat

Old: