2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

proteus wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:53
Redragon wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:48
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:43
Let's be honest here... He was lucky to get 8th since three front-runners have a DNF, but yeah, better this than nothing... They are still going down-hill not the right way up... Hope the Silverstone update does something good for that car... :/
There are rumours the update is coming on Germany or Hungary, I think the big problem of the team is they don't have enough time to manifacture fast enough pieces after adopting Renault engine late last year and pre season problems
Even if they can deliver everything to the Silverstone its a slim chance the update could produce massive gains. First race weekend is more of a practice run, especially for a car and a team that has fundamental problems. The key to all is that they repeat their doing of the last few seasons and regaining ground lost in the second half of the season. They have a solid platform in the Renault unit, what they need is now not to give up and raise the morale. Issues must be fixed and people stimulated to be hunting for the solutions needed.
Well said!!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

proteus wrote:
Redragon wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:43
Let's be honest here... He was lucky to get 8th since three front-runners have a DNF, but yeah, better this than nothing... They are still going down-hill not the right way up... Hope the Silverstone update does something good for that car... :/
There are rumours the update is coming on Germany or Hungary, I think the big problem of the team is they don't have enough time to manifacture fast enough pieces after adopting Renault engine late last year and pre season problems
Even if they can deliver everything to the Silverstone its a slim chance the update could produce massive gains. First race weekend is more of a practice run, especially for a car and a team that has fundamental problems. The key to all is that they repeat their doing of the last few seasons and regaining ground lost in the second half of the season. They have a solid platform in the Renault unit, what they need is now not to give up and raise the morale. Issues must be fixed and people stimulated to be hunting for the solutions needed.
Well said!!!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

techman
techman

good job boys. alonso in P8. good work

Redragon

techman wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:01
good job boys. alonso in P8. good work
I feel the sarcasm! :wink:

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Race pace anyone?

diffuser

techman wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 23:19
I would like to see Waffle leave asap. He's too far behind Alonso.
dont blame vandorne. blame the car, which is terrible. they need to address lot of issues with that car
ROFL... People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... Yet, that McLaren, finished ahead of both STRs. BOTH on their 5th PUs and yet just the 9th race. Still 1.5 races before we reach the mid point of the season.

RonDennis
RonDennis

According to Marca, Alonso wants to do another year in F1. Let's hope he stays with McLaren.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:58
proteus wrote:
Redragon wrote:

Well said!!!
1 - This has nothing to do with adopting the Renault PU. This is all to do with a AERO problem, them stopping production of new parts before they could get correlation with the wind tunnel and trying and figure out what is wrong.
2 - Silverstone should be a good race for us, it's a high DF track, we're less exposed when everyone is running high DF.
3 - I think their Quali Pace in the last 2 races has been compromised by the more than normal amount of testing they've been doing in FP.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Silverstone should be okay as it's even less traction dependent than here, and it's also hard on tires with long high load corners like RBR.

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:28
Silverstone should be okay as it's even less traction dependent than here, and it's also hard on tires with long high load corners like RBR.

McL-H
McL-H

PhillipM wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:28
You are sarcastic, right? Traction is very important on Silverstone. Poor traction out of Club, The Loop, and Luffield will ruin your laptime massively.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

There were updates originally planned for Silverstone, not sure if that's still the case. But if it is still the case, the way things are going, one can only keep our fingers crossed.

ollandos
ollandos

after today race ..its clear .......the problem on this car is ......the tires...mclaren work his tires on very different way ..compare any other ..

Soichiro
Soichiro

diffuser wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:07
techman wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 23:19
I would like to see Waffle leave asap. He's too far behind Alonso.
dont blame vandorne. blame the car, which is terrible. they need to address lot of issues with that car
ROFL... People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... Yet, that McLaren, finished ahead of both STRs. BOTH on their 5th PUs and yet just the 9th race. Still 1.5 races before we reach the mid point of the season.
There is nothing to laugh and roll about for a McLaren fan. I believe you very much understand that having finished ahead of 1 STR and Saubers with destroyed tyres (bad for last 15 laps) and another having destroyed the car and retired is nothing to be happy about. Even fighting with Sauber and STR should be considered below par for McLaren, especially when only Alonso as a top driver can manage to do that recently.

Furthermore about your 5 PU count. I am pretty sure you can understand that 2 PUs were destroyed in accidents and 1 was added to the pool for strategic reasons (Hartley starting last and already in "penalty zone") skews the picture for Hartley. With Gasly they had some problems with 2 MGU-H (the second was not revealed actually what it was), that is true.

Many of those points McLaren has, were given not earned, so they have to prove a lot in the future races.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

A lot of luck today but still, some speed was needed to make passes and Alonso passed quite some guys. Alfa Romeo Sauber seems like a new team, they seem to be true midfielders now. Also Renault's pace didn't seem that special either, when Sainz got dropped back on that pit stop error he couldn't really recover while Alonso recovered pretty well considering that he started from pit lane.