2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Fernando vs Charles LeClerc is becoming a thing. They've been battling each other almost every race weekend lately.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Soichiro wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:39
diffuser wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:07
techman wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 23:19

dont blame vandorne. blame the car, which is terrible. they need to address lot of issues with that car
ROFL... People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... Yet, that McLaren, finished ahead of both STRs. BOTH on their 5th PUs and yet just the 9th race. Still 1.5 races before we reach the mid point of the season.
There is nothing to laugh and roll about for a McLaren fan. I believe you very much understand that having finished ahead of 1 STR and Saubers with destroyed tyres (bad for last 15 laps) and another having destroyed the car and retired is nothing to be happy about. Even fighting with Sauber and STR should be considered below par for McLaren, especially when only Alonso as a top driver can manage to do that recently.

Furthermore about your 5 PU count. I am pretty sure you can understand that 2 PUs were destroyed in accidents and 1 was added to the pool for strategic reasons (Hartley starting last and already in "penalty zone") skews the picture for Hartley. With Gasly they had some problems with 2 MGU-H (the second was not revealed actually what it was), that is true.

Many of those points McLaren has, were given not earned, so they have to prove a lot in the future races.
They all had to run the same number of laps. McLaren didn't destroy it's tires, it deserved to finish ahead."FULL STOP".

Personal, I don't care about the Honda PUs. I'd be happy to NEVER talk about Honda again in this forum. I know techman comes in here and takes swipes at McLaren, so I swipe back. Simple.

RonDennis
RonDennis

ollandos wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:31
after today race ..its clear .......the problem on this car is ......the tires...mclaren work his tires on very different way ..compare any other ..
No the problem is aero, which has it's effect on the tires.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

After yesterday's qualy, Alonso said on spanish TV that we still need to wait one more race. When asked what did he mean with that he just said sthg like "I don't know, just give the team more time". But he specifically said ONE more race, not some more races or some more time

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

dr_cooke wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 21:04
After yesterday's qualy, Alonso said on spanish TV that we still need to wait one more race. When asked what did he mean with that he just said sthg like "I don't know, just give the team more time". But he specifically said ONE more race, not some more races or some more time
Maybe all the stress is getting Fernando confused. Because Zak said in France that they can't do much during this triple header.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 21:19
dr_cooke wrote:
Maybe all the stress is getting Fernando confused. Because Zak said in France that they can't do much during this triple header.
I understood he meant one more race of suffering. Upgrades after Silverstone, that is. But who knows?

RonDennis
RonDennis

dr_cooke wrote:
Yeah, after Silverstone.

zoroastar

Soichiro wrote:
diffuser wrote:
techman wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 23:19

dont blame vandorne. blame the car, which is terrible. they need to address lot of issues with that car
ROFL... People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones... Yet, that McLaren, finished ahead of both STRs. BOTH on their 5th PUs and yet just the 9th race. Still 1.5 races before we reach the mid point of the season.
There is nothing to laugh and roll about for a McLaren fan. I believe you very much understand that having finished ahead of 1 STR and Saubers with destroyed tyres (bad for last 15 laps) and another having destroyed the car and retired is nothing to be happy about. Even fighting with Sauber and STR should be considered below par for McLaren, especially when only Alonso as a top driver can manage to do that recently.

Furthermore about your 5 PU count. I am pretty sure you can understand that 2 PUs were destroyed in accidents and 1 was added to the pool for strategic reasons (Hartley starting last and already in "penalty zone") skews the picture for Hartley. With Gasly they had some problems with 2 MGU-H (the second was not revealed actually what it was), that is true.

Many of those points McLaren has, were given not earned, so they have to prove a lot in the future races.
then maybe that goes some way to get points lost in 2 races where alonso had to retire while in the top 10. thats racing, no championship ever has been run without both good, and bad luck.

zoroastar

turns out alonso was running a 2017 spec front wing...

GhostF1
GhostF1

diffuser wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 20:14
Soichiro wrote:
diffuser wrote:

They all had to run the same number of laps. McLaren didn't destroy it's tires, it deserved to finish ahead."FULL STOP".

Personal, I don't care about the Honda PUs. I'd be happy to NEVER talk about Honda again in this forum. I know techman comes in here and takes swipes at McLaren, so I swipe back. Simple.
Just going to add to that for the sake of correct information.
Vandoorne smacked into Gasly and heavily damaged his floor which compromised the whole car, with loss of downforce which affected the tyres. So what you're claiming isn't strictly true. And if you're going to have a stab, don't say "I don't care" when someone rebuttles you with a fact lol (regarding PU count). You come across as toxic.

Throw stones, but have the facts before you throw.

RonDennis
RonDennis

zoroastar wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 21:44
turns out alonso was running a 2017 spec front wing...
You sometimes wonder how good those updates really are. Mercedes said that it hadn't brought any big updates this year until Austria, they were at top in Melbourne and they were on top in France.

"We didn't know how the car was going to work, especially after we opted to put one of last year's wings for the race," he said. "We didn't even know what flap angle to put on it, because this car had never run with this wing so we went a little bit blindsided into the race."
Last edited by RonDennis on 01 Jul 2018, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

restless
restless

diffuser wrote:

LOL, you are the one talking about Honda in Mclaren topic...

I think Silverstone will be better race for Mcs -turns are mostly high-medium speed, so whatever the problem it should be masked.
So maybe P10-P11 in qualy

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

So, how was the race pace of Alonso compared to Renault and others like Haas? Interesting to see with 2017 front wing. Gotta compare in similar stints tho with free air.

ispano6

McLaren was running 19th and 20th during parts of the race. Looked like a 9th best car on the grid. At times Williams looked stronger and STR certainly were faster before Vandoorne's desperation move prevented Gasly from being able to show their true pace. Surprised if Vandoorne doesn't get points off his license as that was a far more blatant and poor decision than Hartley getting cut off by Perez at Bahrain.

diffuser

GhostF1 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 23:11
diffuser wrote:
Soichiro wrote:

Just going to add to that for the sake of correct information.
Vandoorne smacked into Gasly and heavily damaged his floor which compromised the whole car, with loss of downforce which affected the tyres. So what you're claiming isn't strictly true. And if you're going to have a stab, don't say "I don't care" when someone rebuttles you with a fact lol (regarding PU count). You come across as toxic.

Throw stones, but have the facts before you throw.
My point was that he just used the vandoorne thing as an opportunity to take a stab at McLaren. I stooped to his level and for that I appologize.