2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Fernando Alonso scores points in Austria with 2017 front wing

"We didn't know how the car was going to work, especially after we opted to put one of last year's wings for the race," he said. "We didn't even know what flap angle to put on it, because this car had never run with this wing so we went a little bit blindsided into the race."
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

Motorsport.com
McLaren’s former technical chief John Barnard made some pretty outspoken remarks ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix about his old team.

On the back of the Woking-based outfit’s competitive struggles, Barnard suggested that so big was the change needed to turn things around that the whole company may not be able to survive.

“They’ve had this matrix management system installed by probably [former boss] Martin Whitmarsh, and you’ve got to break that down,” Barnard said.

“I don’t know how long that will take, [or] whether the team can survive that kind of a fundamental turnaround.”

Is this not what EB has been doing since his arrival ?? IIRC I read it in an interview EB gave.

Thunder

Afaik the Matrix System was thrown out of the Window alongside Martin Whitmarsh.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Thunder wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 08:30
Ok this whole McLaren / STR "who ruined the others Race more" stops here.

If you want to discuss the Race, do it here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27403
If you want to discuss STR related things, here you go --> viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26882
I think you can go a bit further and delete some of those posts.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis
RonDennis

It doesn't make much sense to continue complaining. We all know that the situation isn't good currently, McLaren knows it as well, but let's at least wait for the coming updates. According to the Spanish media the experimental parts there were tested did what they expected, so let's see what they can do after Silverstone.

Big Tea

Anyone know at exactly what point the old wing was fitted and why?
Was it fitted due to breakages and not having a later wing available, or did they just decide ' hey, you know this wing is not doing what we thought, lets compare it to last years'?

I sincerely hope it is due to not having a spare, although that is concern enough, but to take 7 or 8 races to decide all that time money and effort has moved them backwards needs addressing NOW
Especially if the updates already in the pipeline are based on this (mis)information
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Big Tea wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:13
Was it fitted due to breakages and not having a later wing available, or did they just decide ' hey, you know this wing is not doing what we thought, lets compare it to last years'?

I sincerely hope it is due to not having a spare, although that is concern enough, but to take 7 or 8 races to decide all that time money and effort has moved them backwards needs addressing NOW
Especially if the updates already in the pipeline are based on this (mis)information
They ran out of the latest spec ones so had to fit a pre-Mexico 2017 wing which does not have the inboard slots on the second and third element around the Y250 region.

Big Tea

Dipesh1995 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:25
Big Tea wrote:

They ran out of the latest spec ones so had to fit a pre-Mexico 2017 wing which does not have the inboard slots on the second and third element around the Y250 region.
Do you know at what point, so we can have a comparison? or was it from the pitlane only?

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Big Tea wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:29
Dipesh1995 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Do you know at what point, so we can have a comparison? or was it from the pitlane only?
After qualifying, Alonso damaged his wing during qualifying.

Big Tea

Dipesh1995 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:33
Big Tea wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:29
Dipesh1995 wrote:

After qualifying, Alonso damaged his wing during qualifying.

Thanks, so there is no direct comparison then? Shame, It would be interesting.

gdanielwesley
gdanielwesley

It's surprising that they ran out of the current spec FW but they had an old one available.

I assumed that they were going back to a part they were comfortable with last year to help solve their correlation issues.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Big Tea

gdanielwesley wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:53
It's surprising that they ran out of the current spec FW but they had an old one available.

I assumed that they were going back to a part they were comfortable with last year to help solve their correlation issues.

Even more surprising that it went on Alonsos car :D

gdanielwesley
gdanielwesley

Big Tea wrote:
gdanielwesley wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:53

Even more surprising that it went on Alonsos car :D
Alonso was going to start lower than sv, that might have been the reason.

diffuser

Soichiro wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 07:04
diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 06:07
In the graph below you see the Gasely loosing pace starting on lap 46, not on lap 1. He never seems to recover after being lapped.
At that point tyres just had enough, there is probably more than one reason why. On lap one, his race was probably compromised, but we should take this into an other thread if you want to discuss it further.
Yeah, the insident on lap 1 is on the F1 web site. You clearly see its Gasely who doesn't see vandoorne and drives over his wing with his tire. There was no contact/damage with the STR diffuser.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/ ... ap_1.html

PhillipM
PhillipM

Alonso broke his, SV didn't, so either way Alonso would take a wing change, you wouldn't take two lots of penalties just so you could swap wings on both cars.
Vandoorne ended up on an old repaired wing after the start crash too.