2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScottB
ScottB

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

McLaren has been very political for a while now, strangely so for an F1 team, with 'leaks' and current and former staff members all publicly slinging at each other, the whole Freddogate was always going to doom at least one member of the 'matrix' once it got traction, Whitmarsh has returned, briefing to the press and now EB has fallen on his sword.

Another reorganisation, how many is that now in the last few years? Who is making the hiring decisions for those who join the management team? It really does paint the picture of a very unhappy camp, while it could be considered a good thing; a winning team at the wrong of the grid should be unhappy, but it seems to be unhappy among itself, rather than channelling that energy outward. Can Zak, Gil or anybody else there round up the troops and galvanise them for the fight ahead?

McG

RonDennis wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:07
McG wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 14:48
Dunno man, I'm sceptical about everything McLaren do right now. Why this big change in the 1st year with Renault, surely the problem with their speed is settling in with the Renault engine?

I don't like EB but I think he's the fall guy in this. GdF? Wtf.
The positive thing is that it can't get much worse. I'm also sure Alonso will stay for 2019, which is good news as well.
I would love to agree but there are still several places to drop back, then last.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

RonDennis
RonDennis

McG wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:15
RonDennis wrote:
McG wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 14:48
Dunno man, I'm sceptical about everything McLaren do right now. Why this big change in the 1st year with Renault, surely the problem with their speed is settling in with the Renault engine?

I don't like EB but I think he's the fall guy in this. GdF? Wtf.
The positive thing is that it can't get much worse. I'm also sure Alonso will stay for 2019, which is good news as well.
I would love to agree but there are still several places to drop back, then last.
Have some faith, they will bounce back eventually. You have to give Zak Brown some time, because these changes simply take time.

Interview with Zak Brown about the current situation, more changes are coming up.

Asked what further additions could be expected, Brown said: "We will promote within and I'm sure we'll be bringing some external resources in as well."
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... llier-exit
Last edited by RonDennis on 04 Jul 2018, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Boulier was the guy brought in to fix McLaren's problems, clearly he didn't succeed but firing him doesn't magically solve anything.

It's a bit like di Montezemulo at Ferrari, they cycled through team principals and technical directors but none of them fixed the problems because the underlying issues were higher up the chain.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Raleigh wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:19
Boulier was the guy brought in to fix McLaren's problems, clearly he didn't succeed but firing him doesn't magically solve anything.

It's a bit like di Montezemulo at Ferrari, they cycled through team principals and technical directors but none of them fixed the problems because the underlying issues were higher up the chain.
That's also why they are talking about 'systemic and structural' failings within the organisation.

McG

RonDennis wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:17
McG wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:15
RonDennis wrote:

Have some faith, they will bounce back eventually. You have to give Zak Brown some time, because these changes simply take time.

Interview with Zak Brown about the current situation, more changes are coming up.

Asked what further additions could be expected, Brown said: "We will promote within and I'm sure we'll be bringing some external resources in as well."
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... llier-exit
I don't have any faith, but plenty of hope.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Big Tea

AJI wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:03
Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 14:50
I think Williams should jump at Bullier....
To cement their position at the bottom?
Boulier was a disaster. This is the first real step in a full restructuring of the F1 team. Everything up until now has merely been a bandaid on a bandaid. Time to rip it off, take the pain, and rebuild.
I have to disagree. He was there as a mouthpiece, not to run things. Everything he did, or was told to do came through a 'Committee' above him.

In Zak's words 'systemic and structural' failings within the organisation
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Thunder

One more Article with the new Team Structure highlighted .

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _failings/
Andrea Stella - Performance director: "He is ultimately responsible for getting the most out of the race car at the race weekend."

Simon Roberts - Chief operating officer: "He will lead the technical team. He reports in to me and will be responsible for making sure we have a very fast race car."

Gil de Ferran - Sporting director: "Gil will work with the racing team and the drivers to make sure we enhance the team's performance.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FLuidd
FLuidd

New structure means 2 things:

1. The fact that it took this long to sack Eric means that the Zak is culpable, maybe his lack experience in running an F1 team plays a huge part.

2. Mclaren wont be able to reach a podium in the next 5 years since this seems like the start of a transition period, which in itself not is a bad news, change is happening.

The way things are at McLaren points out to the fact that team resembles more a multinational company than a racing team.

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 07:54

Agreed.

How high were the costs of in season testing anyway? At least compared to what teams like Mclaren are spending trying to catch up or are losing in terms of prize money and sponsorship compared to where they should realistically be in the WCC?

Re PU costs, I have said it many times, cap the costs to the customer teams and allow more PU per season. If Merc, Ferrari, Renault and Honda want to spend however much or development, fair play to them, but it would keep the costs to teams down.
I never got why they just didn't make Thursday at 1/3 or half of the tracks they race at a test day. I mean you're there aren't you?

diffuser

Redragon wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:36
After reading Zack words, it is clear was forced to resign. I think it really shows the deep crisis in the team because it was time for action/reaction and no resing as it will delay even more the solutions.
As in most sports, when the team doesn't perform the manager gets it.

There was interview with Zak in France I think ....where he said that EB was responsible for performance that was the first hint. The 2nd was the hiring of Gil de Ferran. He seems to be a EB clone with better English skills.

diffuser

Thunder wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:58
I would be more in Favour of #bringbackjost to be honest.
Really, What Josh doing these day ??? Managing Merc ?

TAG

Every decision made at McLaren since the infamous Spa 2012 race has proved to be the wrong one, or one following a wrong path. Perhaps this is a turning point, but we've had a few of these dramatic announcements since then. We'll have to wait and see. I am hopeful of their return to form, perhaps a long term focus with 2021 and the new regulations there as a works team. Porsche may be interested, they've worked together in the past.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

diffuser

shotzski wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:22
While Eric has definitely left the team, whatever happened to Tim Goss? Has he also left the company, or just reassigned to a different role within the Mclaren group?
I thought he was headed to Williams.