2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Last edited by GrayGreat on 04 Jul 2018, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Fernando will get linked to everything, it fits the media's narrative of him being a political figure. It's very possible that Andrea had been doing a top job in previous capacities, he's been making steady progress at Mclaren. Gil was initially brought in to work with and mentor the young drivers, probably because he did a good job with Fernando at Indy. Besides, I hear that Stoffel is dating Gil's daughter. So why isn't that a link?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Gil de Ferran is a Penske guy. Shares history with Zak.

f1universe
f1universe

So basically he want to say they put this guys there because they are friends with Alonso. I didn't expect less after the fantasies he wrote about Alonso leaving Ferrari.

kasio
kasio

hmm. he is telling the problem is speed of organisation, how fast they work. really? they cannot go faster because they do not know what is their problem. so problem is not speed. looks like bullshit. to me it looks their problem is that they did rush and did not think enough.

Redragon

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 16:24
Redragon wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:36
After reading Zack words, it is clear was forced to resign. I think it really shows the deep crisis in the team because it was time for action/reaction and no resing as it will delay even more the solutions.
As in most sports, when the team doesn't perform the manager gets it.

There was interview with Zak in France I think ....where he said that EB was responsible for performance that was the first hint. The 2nd was the hiring of Gil de Ferran. He seems to be a EB clone with better English skills.
I would have keep EB until Christmas, to analize and go with him all the decisions and steps have been done in the past and why, also to talk with factory and their imput. Then with better idea of the situation sending him free. Because changing one manager to other don't resolve the problems if the problem it is well cemented on the staff at the factories or above on the managing level.

Jolle
Jolle

So, quoting Zak Brown in his American accent: “We must keep Fernando happy”

Redragon

Jolle wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 17:44
It would be a slap in the face if both EB and Alonso finish on Renault next year, apart of Redbull signing with Honda.

Big Tea

Redragon wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 17:31
diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 16:24
Redragon wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:36
After reading Zack words, it is clear was forced to resign. I think it really shows the deep crisis in the team because it was time for action/reaction and no resing as it will delay even more the solutions.
As in most sports, when the team doesn't perform the manager gets it.

There was interview with Zak in France I think ....where he said that EB was responsible for performance that was the first hint. The 2nd was the hiring of Gil de Ferran. He seems to be a EB clone with better English skills.
I would have keep EB until Christmas, to analize and go with him all the decisions and steps have been done in the past and why, also to talk with factory and their imput. Then with better idea of the situation sending him free. Because changing one manager to other don't resolve the problems if the problem it is well cemented on the staff at the factories or above on the managing level.
It does not make much sense to fire/quit at this exact point, but perhaps Eric did know what was wrong and told them so in no uncertain words, which leads to this. They cannot then keep him and keep face.
If he has continually told them where the problem lies and something along the lines of being of him being told "sort it out or you are fired", his 'unconsidered' reply would mean the two sides could not work together, but may also hammer home what he has said
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zeph
zeph

Somewhere, Wazari is popping open a bottle of champagne.

Steven
Owner

Jolle wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 17:44
You shouldn't exaggerate this. It was actually Boullier who recommended hiring Alonso.

In any case, why did Goss actually leave? Perhaps that was due to a conflict with Boullier, who not feels the results?

alexa
alexa

It think it would be best for them to bring back Jost Capito.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

godlameroso wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:58
taperoo2k wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:06
RonDennis wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:49

Yeah, you really have to watch out when people are saying that your job is safe.
That's usually code for "You have x time left to turn things around, or you'll be given your P45 forthwith".
We'll find out in the next month or so, if firing him will improve the technical side of the race team. I wouldn't expect a massive leap in performance, just McLaren starting to work through all of it's problems. It feels like there's been a bottleneck in the decision making process at McLaren that's hindered the team.
He isn't an engineer, his failure was a PR one.
Depending on who you believe, Boullier was likely responsible for the technical setup
at McLaren.

Big Tea

taperoo2k wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 19:36
godlameroso wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:58
taperoo2k wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:06

That's usually code for "You have x time left to turn things around, or you'll be given your P45 forthwith".
We'll find out in the next month or so, if firing him will improve the technical side of the race team. I wouldn't expect a massive leap in performance, just McLaren starting to work through all of it's problems. It feels like there's been a bottleneck in the decision making process at McLaren that's hindered the team.
He isn't an engineer, his failure was a PR one.
Depending on who you believe, Boullier was likely responsible for the technical setup
at McLaren.
But being called 'responsible' does not necessarily mean he does anything like make decisions on what parts and settings are used on the car. He may well be in the sense that he is the team leader and 'where the buck stops' but we keep hearing that mclaren have so many bosses, how much of a boss is he?

Can someone who disagrees with him just plain ignore him, overrule him or go to another boss and get a different answer?

Could it even be that he makes a decision then a higher up comes along and plain over rules it?

So much we do not know.

It is probably a good thing he is gone as it marks a point in time things are ( supposed to be ) changed from.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mansell89
Mansell89

I too am interested in the Goss bit. I’m sure I read a number of years ago that McLaren rotated/alternated the chief designer of the car, and IIRC was Goss the guy who produced the fast 2011 car that was quicker than they expected and didn’t know why?

That ring any bells or is it my hazy memory/Incorrect knowledge?