2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Most thoughts on the whole matter can only be seen as speculation, even by most journalists. If I was to hop on the speculation bandwagon, I'd say maybe Eric championed the Renault switch. It was common knowledge that the shareholders, Mansour Ojjeh in particular wanted Honda dropped after the disappointing pre season testing. But for them to believe it was all Honda issues, they would have been told. Like someone posted yesterday, Eric presented the data (possibly on reliance of info from Goss) and said "we would be winning races if not for Honda".
Mansour swung into action, believing his very good relationship with Mercedes (at the top) would help secure the deal. I know I've read somewhere that the Mercedes bosses were open to the idea, but Toto wasn't. I also read somewhere that Toto wasn't keen because Mclaren wanted a Works level supply, which Toto shot down. Then there was the half hearted attempt at getting Ferrari, but that was always going to be unlikely.
Now, where I speculate that Eric came in is pushing for the switch to Renault. Maybe Zak, Mansour etc had settled to stick with Honda, after failing to get a deal with one of the big two, considering all things, not least the $100M from Honda. Maybe Eric then put Renault forward, insisting on his apparently dodgy data that they would still win with Renault, guaranteeing that the late switch would have minimal disruption on 2018.
Like I said, I'm only speculating, like a lot of us are doing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Redragon

ivanlesk wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 10:39
RonDennis wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 02:47
Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 01:19

Nobody works for an arrogant boss, they only work in spite of them.

Let's see how quickly the underappreciated workers at McLaren rise now that EB's arrogance isn't stifling them.
This. He looks arrogant, he acts arrogant and that certainly doesn't help when you have to rely on your staff. Nobody was talking about McLaren being on pole in Silverstone, but giving out Freddo's should have been enough for giving him the sack. Imagine how disrespectful that must feel. I'm sure they rather would be thanked than being handed a f**king Freddo. You really have no idea how to treat people if you do something like that.
Yeah, Ron was certainly better in giving bonuses and thanks...
Depending how you are delivering those Freddos, If you say jokingly by now we only can offer you Freddos but as soon those targets and results arrive you will get xxxxxx bonus added to your salary. Then the Freddo is insignificant. But if you have asking me the whole year hard to do extra work and the only prize every time is the Freddo yes that is insulting.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Redragon wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 14:19
ivanlesk wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

This. He looks arrogant, he acts arrogant and that certainly doesn't help when you have to rely on your staff. Nobody was talking about McLaren being on pole in Silverstone, but giving out Freddo's should have been enough for giving him the sack. Imagine how disrespectful that must feel. I'm sure they rather would be thanked than being handed a f**king Freddo. You really have no idea how to treat people if you do something like that.
Depending how you are delivering those Freddos, If you say jokingly by now we only can offer you Freddos but as soon those targets and results arrive you will get xxxxxx bonus added to your salary. Then the Freddo is insignificant. But if you have asking me the whole year hard to do extra work and the only prize every time is the Freddo yes that is insulting.
Wasn't referring directly to Freddos, but agree with you....

jz11
jz11

without knowing what exactly is the cause of their problems it is impossible to say whether sacking him was the right or wrong thing to do, at least from the interviews of the last 3 years, I could tell that they put ALL the blame on Honda, and nothing on themselves, and this year you can clearly see that there are problems at their end as well, and who else it to blame than management? they are responsible for the various departments working under them, and if one or more of them fail at something, then it is the top managements problem to spot that problem and solve, and for years they basically did nothing, and as I understand, EB did some restructuring at the factory, which might as well have contributed to the result of today, so I'm more inclined to think that someone at the top end was responsible for the in-team climate going toxic, which led to poor results over all, might be that someone wasn't promoted and didn't like under someone else leadership or something along the lines, anyway - that is the top peoples job to see these things and deal with them, if they can't - well, they need to go

bill shoe
bill shoe

I agree with all the talk about how McL put all the blame on Honda and now it seems clear that was not true. However, I still give massive credit to McL for choosing Renault last year because they knew it would give them no place to hide. They could still be sulking behind a Honda powertrain right now if that's the path they had chosen.

I know this praise doesn't give them any championship points, but there are many philosophical places to hide in F1 and McL is not hiding in any of them.

diffuser

jz11 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 14:38
without knowing what exactly is the cause of their problems it is impossible to say whether sacking him was the right or wrong thing to do, at least from the interviews of the last 3 years, I could tell that they put ALL the blame on Honda, and nothing on themselves, and this year you can clearly see that there are problems at their end as well, and who else it to blame than management? they are responsible for the various departments working under them, and if one or more of them fail at something, then it is the top managements problem to spot that problem and solve, and for years they basically did nothing, and as I understand, EB did some restructuring at the factory, which might as well have contributed to the result of today, so I'm more inclined to think that someone at the top end was responsible for the in-team climate going toxic, which led to poor results over all, might be that someone wasn't promoted and didn't like under someone else leadership or something along the lines, anyway - that is the top peoples job to see these things and deal with them, if they can't - well, they need to go
He's a manager , they're a dime a dozen.

In my personal experience as a engineer, managers never tell me what the problem is, they always ask me. They then turn around and echo what I said in a politically correct manor to whom ever and handle the heat. They don't fix anything.

All this is coming square off of PP's shoulders. EB has had 3 choices 1- Believe him, 2 - not believe him and do nothing 3- not believe him and make changes. His hands might have been tied on #3. By making changes you don't necessarily want to fire PP, you got to believe he's trying to do the right thing so you try and get him help. That help might come in several forms. Anything from personnel to equipment.

The problem was likely there last year. to what degree we'll never know. It might have been there for several years masked by all the PU issues and McLaren's faith in Honda's PU. Typically any kind of correlation issue will just keep getting worse till you notice it.

RonDennis
RonDennis

ivanlesk wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 01:19

Nobody works for an arrogant boss, they only work in spite of them.

Let's see how quickly the underappreciated workers at McLaren rise now that EB's arrogance isn't stifling them.
Ron was one of the most hated guys in the paddock and he also scared a lot of people away at McLaren, which is one of the reasons why he is no longer running the show.

bill shoe wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 14:45
I agree with all the talk about how McL put all the blame on Honda and now it seems clear that was not true. However, I still give massive credit to McL for choosing Renault last year because they knew it would give them no place to hide. They could still be sulking behind a Honda powertrain right now if that's the path they had chosen.

I know this praise doesn't give them any championship points, but there are many philosophical places to hide in F1 and McL is not hiding in any of them.

Indeed, I know people say it's a mistake. I beg to differ. They probably would have blamed the Honda engine this year again, although I believe that they wouldn't have those big problems that they have this year. Changes are certainly needed and only time will tell if they're the right ones.

DrewF1

Albert Fabrega on Twitter:

Brown"Luchamos para P6 y P7 como equipo. No tenemos tanta carga como año pasado. No era mejor chasis d parrilla. Hablé con los pilotos. Alonso tiene mucha experiencia. Creo en su instinto. Sería un error no escucharle. Es un líder en equipo. Creo q quiere estar aquí mucho tiempo"

Brown a la pregunta si habrá equipo. Indy para el año q viene: "Ahora queremos estar concentrados en F1. No hemos tomado aún la decisión. Alonso quiere ganar la triple crono y queremos hacerlo con él "

From Google translate:

Brown "We are fighting for P6 and P7 as a team. We do not have as much cargo as last year. It was better chassis d grill. I talked to the drivers. Alonso has a lot of experience. I think your instinct. It would be a mistake not to listen. It is a leader in team. I think q wants to be here a long time "

Brown the question whether there will be equipment. Q Indy for next year: ".. Now we want to be concentrated in F1 have not yet decided Alonso wants to win the triple time trial and we want to do with it"
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

TAG

bill shoe wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 14:45
Their sponsors figured that out back three or four years ago. There is no silver lining here, IMO the way forward is to scrap everything and focus on 2021. Just like Mercedes did when they joined.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Thunder

So turns out *shock* Stoffel was also consulted. So Fernando isn't the lone TD. ;)
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/900451/1/ ... nt-changes
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

They sound so.... humble now, I almost feel sorry for them..

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... y-1056233/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Jackles-UK

Earlier this year I think it was EB who said that they had “met their targets” with the new car but that others had likely exceeded them which is why they were further back than expected. That can now be outed as nothing more than a bare-faced lie because nobody would target less downforce that the previous season.

If things don’t improve markedly once the season restarts after the summer break I can see them using the MCL33 as nothing more than a test mule for the 34 - it’s clear they need a few extra months of development just to catch the other midfield runners like Renault/Haas etc.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 16:21

A bit too late, but it's good that they finally understand they are no longer the team they once were. Only good things come from modesty. It also takes a lot of pressure away, although I'm sure the internal goals are set much higher.

Jackles-UK wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 17:27
Earlier this year I think it was EB who said that they had “met their targets” with the new car but that others had likely exceeded them which is why they were further back than expected. That can now be outed as nothing more than a bare-faced lie because nobody would target less downforce that the previous season.

If things don’t improve markedly once the season restarts after the summer break I can see them using the MCL33 as nothing more than a test mule for the 34 - it’s clear they need a few extra months of development just to catch the other midfield runners like Renault/Haas etc.

They already doing that and they need to, so that the problems of this year won't affect next years car.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

When McLaren were making crazy promises that they will win again shortly everyone was blaming them that they promise a lot and deliver nothing, now they're staying grounded, realize their issues and give no crazy promises and everyone is blaming them again. Can you decide what you want really?

HPD

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 16:21
Well done Mclaren. Well done Zak.
It is the most difficult step but the most important one. Recognize your mistakes of the present and the past.

I hope that the Mclaren Group returns to the place where it belongs, fighting with the best. The pilots are passengers, but the company is the most important.

I wish the fans of the Mclaren team the best.
And my friends, fans of Honda, I ask for Peace. Zak already recognized the mistakes of the past, the "Mclaren vs. Honda" should never exist.
Good luck.