2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ollandos
ollandos

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

its clear to me right now ..mclaren problems
1.not have sister team ..
2.lack of money

i think probably mclaren spend much more less time for R&D for 2018 compare many others teams ...that is lack of money problem ...there is not people mistakes ....right now for the future ...the 4th place have very big prize and is a big target ..with keeping alonso gives other air for next season ..and with red bull switch a hope for more better result ..ok honda made steps ..but if we see ..until the half way of season is on 5 engine ....this compination can be atractive for new sponsors deals and bring more boost for the team ....i hope from now the team can find the power to react and catch all this targets ...we cant wait for miracle ..only watch the fight for the 4th place this year ...

RonDennis
RonDennis

ollandos wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 18:19
2.lack of money

i think probably mclaren spend much more less time for R&D for 2018 compare many others teams ...that is lack of money problem ...there is not people mistakes ....right now for the future ...the 4th place have very big prize and is a big target ..with keeping alonso gives other air for next season ..and with red bull switch a hope for more better result ..ok honda made steps ..but if we see ..until the half way of season is on 5 engine ....this compination can be atractive for new sponsors deals and bring more boost for the team ....i hope from now the team can find the power to react and catch all this targets ...we cant wait for miracle ..only watch the fight for the 4th place this year ...
Learn to type.

Mansell89
Mansell89

McLaren and Hondas biggest mistake was not having any sister teams. RBR and Toro Rosso will see real benefit from their close relationships.

I have to agree McLaren are distavantaged by not having a sister team as such. They are probably gambling on Renault giving them works status in exchange for help on Gearbox and possibly Energy Recovery (long term)? That would then help both teams.

However, seems pretty clear that the wind tunnel is a massive issue right now and that needs to be priority number one, or else their planning and design is somewhat inaccurate.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

HPD wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 18:02
Ground Effect wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 16:21
They sound so.... humble now, I almost feel sorry for them..
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... y-1056233/
Well done Mclaren. Well done Zak.
It is the most difficult step but the most important one. Recognize your mistakes of the present and the past.

I hope that the Mclaren Group returns to the place where it belongs, fighting with the best. The pilots are passengers, but the company is the most important.

I wish the fans of the Mclaren team the best.
And my friends, fans of Honda, I ask for Peace. Zak already recognized the mistakes of the past, the "Mclaren vs. Honda" should never exist.
Good luck.
agreed. these are actually very good signs.
compare it for example to Williams, whom are still on a high horse.
i feel for paddy lowe, i don't have him that high to be honest, but it must suck working in that environment.

i think now is the time to go to mclaren and see a reshuffle.
sadly enough, right now would be THE time to sign with Honda, not years ago.

let's hope they can find a way to re-organize and get stronger, and meanwhile find themselves a partnership with preferably BMW and see them mount a mighty engine, or go cosworth.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Ground Effect wrote:

Would this mean, that Andrea Stella will be judging the numbers and Simon Robberts the person to make the right departments work on the negative results Andrea Stella points out?

Big Tea

It depends how they see this move. As a signal that things change from here on in, or as 'right thats it, we have fixed the problem'

If they think EB was the problem, it will get worse. If they are using this to draw a line under this week and start a new regime from now on, then they are in with a shout.
They still seem not to have one person who says jump, and everyone asks how high, but getting them all jumping will be a good start.

Andras is a technical leader and should report to and confer with De Ferran, who should then go to the high ups with one plan, not asking what is happening but telling them what they want and when. There should be no pressure directly on Stella, but through De Ferran. All then read off the same sheet
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wesley123
wesley123

Ground Effect wrote:

It's hardly humble. Between the lines it still reads "yo we are the best and if you think we aren't then you are wrong".
For example;
“So we have identified an area in which our car this year is weaker than last year’s car."
All cool, but he then does not name why it took only half a season to figure that one out.

The issue is that if you are the second slowest team you can't really hide behind much anymore, and the article doesn't actually name much of an issue. It only says they are looking into it and is essentially just Zak Brown saving his own ass and putting the blame on Boullier. One would think they would have learned that using a scapegoat isn't all that helpful
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Redragon

The one hidding like a chicken and it was the most vocal about ditching Honda and has been really quiet this year is Jonathan Neale. But hey woul I know

adrianjordan

ollandos wrote:
2.lack of money

I suspect that English is not your first language, if so then I can only praise you for trying, but that post is almost unreadable I'm afraid.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

diffuser

Jackles-UK wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 17:27
Earlier this year I think it was EB who said that they had “met their targets” with the new car but that others had likely exceeded them which is why they were further back than expected. That can now be outed as nothing more than a bare-faced lie because nobody would target less downforce that the previous season.

If things don’t improve markedly once the season restarts after the summer break I can see them using the MCL33 as nothing more than a test mule for the 34 - it’s clear they need a few extra months of development just to catch the other midfield runners like Renault/Haas etc.

I bet you he meant "the targets" in the wind tunnel, not on the track.

makecry
makecry

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 20:31
ollandos wrote:
2.lack of money

I suspect that English is not your first language, if so then I can only praise you for trying, but that post is almost unreadable I'm afraid.
I dont know about it being unreadable, kinda condescending. It's not remotely perfect but it's not almost unreadable.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

I am not English, neither it is my first language, yet I understood that post perfectly.

McMika98
McMika98

Redragon wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 20:22
The one hidding like a chicken and it was the most vocal about ditching Honda and has been really quiet this year is Jonathan Neale. But hey woul I know
Yeah they need to fire him asap as well, gave the whole Mclaren team an excuse last year which contributed to their arrogant belief. He was pushing for the breakup before the season and was there in Singapore when they announced the divorce. No leadership whatsoever.

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 20:31
ollandos wrote:
2.lack of money

The sister team was more of a need when they were with Honda, they have Renault and RBR (for the time being). It would still help for driver development. I can't think of another reason why a sister team could help...

With regards to money...Maybe but I don't think it's what brought this on.

diffuser

McMika98 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 20:43
Redragon wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 20:22
Yeah they need to fire him asap as well, gave the whole Mclaren team an excuse last year which contributed to their arrogant belief. He was pushing for the breakup before the season and was there in Singapore when they announced the divorce. No leadership whatsoever.
He was moved to the motor car division(McLaren Group) at the time of the last firing. Zak Answers directly to the shareholders for F1.