2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
restless
restless

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

ollandos wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 18:19
its clear to me right now ..mclaren problems
1.not have sister team ..
2.lack of money

i think probably mclaren spend much more less time for R&D for 2018 compare many others teams ...that is lack of money problem ...there is not people mistakes ....right now for the future ...the 4th place have very big prize and is a big target ..with keeping alonso gives other air for next season ..and with red bull switch a hope for more better result ..ok honda made steps ..but if we see ..until the half way of season is on 5 engine ....this compination can be atractive for new sponsors deals and bring more boost for the team ....i hope from now the team can find the power to react and catch all this targets ...we cant wait for miracle ..only watch the fight for the 4th place this year ...
lack of money?
They were 3rd on money spent in 2017, 4th in 2018
And how Red Bull switching gives hope for better is beyond me...

zeph
zeph

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/

Matt Morris is Chief Engineering Officer, and I believe as such responsible for the car. His resumé is not that impressive, head of transmission at Williams in 2006, then to Sauber in 2010 as Chief Designer. Moved to McLaren in 2013, just in time for the team’s decline. Peter Prodromou is CTO-Aero.

I would assume that Paul James is responsible for trackside operations?

Redragon

In Spanish interview Alonso said that consulted and informed are similar but are different words and he was informed two hours before announcement on press but wasn't consulted on the changes

PlatinumZealot

Adios Alonso!!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 56233/?s=1
"Realistically, this is going to take some time to fix, so I think we are years away,” said Brown.

Zak is a coward. You see why I want this man fired?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PhillipM
PhillipM

He's just taking any short term pressure off the team while they get it sorted out, so he's taking the stick rather than the guys at the front.

RonDennis
RonDennis

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 00:23
Adios Alonso!!

"Realistically, this is going to take some time to fix, so I think we are years away,” said Brown.

A coward? You clearly haven't noticed what's been going on at McLaren in the last six years? If McLaren wants to sign new staff, that will take years, because you can't just switch teams. Getting a team back on track simply takes years. It doesn't mean you can't have any success in the meanwhile. McLaren already talked about improving their facilities, so that will take time as well. There is no magic bullet. Stop complaining so much. Yes the current situation isn't good, but they finally seem to understand what's happened to them. Give them some time. I think Brown has made a good impression this week.

Ted68

PlatinumZealot wrote:
It is crystal clear. He is spending alot of time over here in Indy car circles while the F1 cars and team struggle for direction. There is no existing McLaren Indy team, officially, yet. Focus on righting the team that needs it before spending the enormous effort and cash flow that it takes to start a new team. How many small problems could have been dealt with with the time and resources spent at Indy in 2017/18?

Mansour Ojjeh has some deep pockets, true. But remember, his TAG brand was Williams title sponsor in the early-80s before pulling out and backing McLaren in the mid-80s. For those who don't recall how that went down, while still backing Williams, Ojjeh procured Porsche built engines for McLaren that carried the TAG moniker. Much as the TAG Heuer branded Renault sits in the back of Red Bull today.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

McG

Ted68 wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
It is crystal clear. He is spending alot of time over here in Indy car circles while the F1 cars and team struggle for direction. There is no existing McLaren Indy team, officially, yet. Focus on righting the team that needs it before spending the enormous effort and cash flow that it takes to start a new team. How many small problems could have been dealt with with the time and resources spent at Indy in 2017/18?

Mansour Ojjeh has some deep pockets, true. But remember, his TAG brand was Williams title sponsor in the early-80s before pulling out and backing McLaren in the mid-80s. For those who don't recall how that went down, while still backing Williams, Ojjeh procured Porsche built engines for McLaren that carried the TAG moniker. Much as the TAG Heuer branded Renault sits in the back of Red Bull today.
Are you inferring that the Mclaren investors are about to pull out of McLaren?
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

makecry
makecry

McG wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:52
Ted68 wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Are you inferring that the Mclaren investors are about to pull out of McLaren?
They are owners. They can't just pull out of McLaren without selling the team lol. It's not like you are banging a girl and you can pull out whenever you want. :roll:

MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM

I don't see why you take him as a coward. With Boullier out of the way, he's directly taking the stick now. The team has been under immense pressure in the last couple of months and what Zak is trying to do is to reset the expectations and ease off some of that pressure. You might dislike him as a person, but I believe he is doing the right thing at the moment.

Adios Alonso ! Really ? Where can he possibly go.
Otherwise it's pretty interesting, as McLaren downfall started with Alonso's arrival back in 2007.
Somehow Ron managed to miss-manage everything that season. He got everything wrong, he took it personally and it affected not only him, but the Team as a whole. He started a chain of reactions that led to McLaren losing their title sponsor first and then Mercedes as their partner.

I don't want to be too harsh when it comes to Ron, but he was the one who literally buried McLaren.
Chassis wise Mclaren was fading in 2013 and 2014.
Lewis going to Mercedes was another huge blow for the Team.
At this point McLaren needed a revamp as a Team.
Instead of doing that, someone decided it's better to hide the trash under the carpet and reclaim the former glory by partnering with Honda....and magically all the problems were meant to go away.

Do you remember the glory days of McLaren Honda ? We sure do, but that was 30 years ago.
Honda had a more recent record with BAR and then as works Team. Button himself admitted he wouldn't have won in 2009 with a Honda engine in the back of his car.
In the end, we all knew McHonda was more of a marketing gimmick, an idealized image of former glory backed up by no guarantees of success .

Circumstances weren't favorable either, the new engines were extremely complex and the freeze and token system meant that if you don't get the power unit right from the very first beginning you're going to struggle massively..... which actually happened. What I was forced to watch in the last three seasons was McLaren suffering terribly at the hands of Ron, who orchestrated this exclusivity contract with Honda. Not that he locked Honda in , but he also managed to trap McLaren in this financial arrangement, in which Honda was paying the bill of the PUs, Honda was providing sponsorship, Honda was paying part of the drivers salaries. It soon became obvious that there is no way out of this for McLaren without substantial outside support (read it tons on $). As the relationship with Honda proved toxic for both parties, I'm really glad Zak Brown found a way out of it and is now trying to rebuild the team.
It will probably takes years, and I appreciate he has the g**s to speak that aloud: “I don’t know if that’s two or 10 or somewhere in between, probably more like somewhere in between... “

When it comes to Alonso, I'm not quite sure whether Ron was seeking revenge or redemption when he signed him again in 2014.
Will he stay with McLaren in the future ? No idea, but I hope he'll be around for a year or two.

PlatinumZealot

RonDennis wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Adios Alonso!!

A coward? You clearly haven't noticed what's been going on at McLaren in the last six years? If McLaren wants to sign new staff, that will take years, because you can't just switch teams. Getting a team back on track simply takes years. It doesn't mean you can't have any success in the meanwhile. McLaren already talked about improving their facilities, so that will take time as well. There is no magic bullet. Stop complaining so much. Yes the current situation isn't good, but they finally seem to understand what's happened to them. Give them some time. I think Brown has made a good impression this week.
Do not be tricked by Zak into thinking McLaren is some minnow team. As far as I see McLaren have only a human resource problem; not financial, not technological and not infrastructural. McLaren doesn't make engines either so they are far from stretched. They don't need a magic bullet per se, nothing is stopping them from getting themselves together and turning over a solid "best of the rest" car for next year. I feel the source of the problem is the dirty politics. McLaren stinks of "brown stuff."

What makes you think they understand what's happening to them? Interesting...

I was fooled at first, but it didn't take too long to realize that Brown is in over his head.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Ted68

Ojjeh is not the owner, he is a shareholder. And not a majority at that. My post is saying that current events are reflecting those of the past. Therefore, perhaps there is a situation to be looked at.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

RonDennis
RonDennis

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 02:47
RonDennis wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Adios Alonso!!

Do not be tricked by Zak into thinking McLaren is some minnow team. As far as I see McLaren have only a human resource problem; not financial, not technological and not infrastructural. McLaren doesn't make engines either so they are far from stretched. They don't need a magic bullet per se, nothing is stopping them from getting themselves together and turning over a solid "best of the rest" car for next year. I feel the source of the problem is the dirty politics. McLaren stinks of "brown stuff."

What makes you think they understand what's happening to them? Interesting...

I was fooled at first, but it didn't take too long to realize that Brown is in over his head.
I suggest you read the recent interview with Zak Brown in Autosport Magazine. The goal is to repair those things for 2021 when the new rules start to kick in. He clearly states that it doesn't mean they won't be competitive in the others years. Brown is currently looking at every aspect of the F1 team and he already confirmed that external people will be brought in. The problem is that most staff in F1 can't join others teams whenever they want, so that means if you sign someone now, it could be a year before he's at McLaren and another year to make some kind of impact. We're talking about running a team with 700-800 people, you're clearly underestimating how much work there is to do. You seem to be obsessed with Zak Brown, but this guy has only been here for a full season. First you complain about McLaren being to positive, now they show some dignity and explain what has being going internally and now you're blasting them for that.

He's even addressing the politics within the team.
"The reason the car is not performing on the track is because we're not performing well as a team," Brown, McLaren's executive director, told Sky F1's Rachel Brookes.

"What I see is we're too slow to react, we need to simplify things within the organisation and we need to operate like a race team.

"[McLaren need to become] a much faster organisation, we're a bit too slow and a bit too clunky. That's not any one individual's fault, I know we have got great people here, so it's our ways of working that need to change.

"My job is to get all 700-800 people rowing the same way as quickly as possible, communicating well because it's those people that produce the race car. So we might have a race-car problem, but it's how we built the race car that's actually the real problem."

PlatinumZealot

I don't remember Ross Brawn, Guenther steiner or Bob Bell laying it out like this. They just did the damn thing and let the results speak for themselves...and Why does he have to remind us what his roe is? Lol

Hah. Zack fortunately has a good support system. But its all about how he harmonises with them. You clearly are convinced that he has done and will do well. I also am going off perception, signs, comments from insiders, rumours... So let's see how he does.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

M840TR
M840TR

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Adios Alonso!!

He is doing the opposite of last year. Setting expectations low. Last year they hyped themselves tremendously and then Bouillier came out and said before testing "we want to under promise and over deliver". What was he even thinking? You can't just talk the talk without walking the walk.