2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman
techman

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

both zak and eric needs to go. i believe they are both bad in decision making. last year they were in hype mode, and now they are the opposite. rather than fixing their management issues , they got rid of their main sponsor honda and now they have to pay alonso, renault and also honda for the divorce. next season they will see redbull honda wining races and more questions will be asked and zak will have nowhere to hide. didnt eric say honda are not here to win and mclaren are here to win? and honda are lost? funny what goes around comes around.

zeph
zeph

I dunno. Zak Brown inherited a mess and has to clean house. Even though he came in as exec director in November 2016, he has been CEO only since last April.
Turning an operation like McLaren around takes time. I say wait and see what happens next year. I don’t know that Brown is responsible for this year’s misery.
Last edited by zeph on 06 Jul 2018, 07:16, edited 2 times in total.

Singabule
Singabule

techman wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 05:31
both zak and eric needs to go. i believe they are both bad in decision making. last year they were in hype mode, and now they are the opposite. rather than fixing their management issues , they got rid of their main sponsor honda and now they have to pay alonso, renault and also honda for the divorce. next season they will see redbull honda wining races and more questions will be asked and zak will have nowhere to hide. didnt eric say honda are not here to win and mclaren are here to win? and honda are lost? funny what goes around comes around.
Zack no need to go as he already swallow bitter pill that he produce before. Give him more time and space to breath, and see MCL being overlap by RB honda next year. At least he becoming wiser by turn down their change in winning championship

GhostF1
GhostF1

The first correct decision this company has made in the last few years was
1. To overthrow the top heavy, fat cat executive structure. There was a point in time it looked like they hired people for positions that made no sense.
2. Have the CEO publicly admit, in interview with Natalie Pinkham, they have made some incorrect claims last year regarding their chassis and laid maybe a little too much false blame on their partner (Honda).

For Zak to come out and say we claimed more than we should have and we have to accept responsibility admit we were wrong and move forward, is the best forward step I've seen for a while. Hopefully we keep this tell it like it is attitude.

adrianjordan

People keeo stating that Mclaren are still paying Honda money as part of the split, but I have not read it anywhere outside of this forum.

Could we have a link to back that up please...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Brown saying they are years away from a title challenge. There is no reason for Fernando to stay. Either a surprising team transfer or retirement on its way. Maybe Fernando's possible departure is not that bad for the team, his performance was maybe matchless with all those extra efforts with such underperforming machinery. BUT he is expensive and he scratched their if left respect and reputation in racing community with his disappointed expressions and team radio and stuff.

ollandos
ollandos

restless wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 21:06
ollandos wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 18:19
its clear to me right now ..mclaren problems
1.not have sister team ..
2.lack of money

i think probably mclaren spend much more less time for R&D for 2018 compare many others teams ...that is lack of money problem ...there is not people mistakes ....right now for the future ...the 4th place have very big prize and is a big target ..with keeping alonso gives other air for next season ..and with red bull switch a hope for more better result ..ok honda made steps ..but if we see ..until the half way of season is on 5 engine ....this compination can be atractive for new sponsors deals and bring more boost for the team ....i hope from now the team can find the power to react and catch all this targets ...we cant wait for miracle ..only watch the fight for the 4th place this year ...
lack of money?
They were 3rd on money spent in 2017, 4th in 2018
And how Red Bull switching gives hope for better is beyond me...

3rd and 4rd maybe ,,but how much of this is salary for staff ? how much for the car R&D?...only alonso all this years cost more than all the others drivers from mid-small teams...even red bull spend less for his line up

and the red bull switch maybe create problems for them ..if we look torro rosso cleary even with honda step up this year ..is slower from 2017 (ok mclaren too on chassis side ..but not overall ..simple the dont have the max performance gains from renault PU )..

if you are 4th (we take the scenario mclaren take 4th place at the end this year) and the 3rd team make big risky change ..there is hope for one step more for 4 to 3 ...

ok right now looks like imposimple but we dont know what is mclaren problem and what they can do to fix it this year...and at the end 4th renanult works team is not miles away ....mclaren is not the favorite for 4th place but its not untouchable target

marmer
marmer

ollandos wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 09:51
restless wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 21:06
ollandos wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 18:19
its clear to me right now ..mclaren problems
1.not have sister team ..
2.lack of money

i think probably mclaren spend much more less time for R&D for 2018 compare many others teams ...that is lack of money problem ...there is not people mistakes ....right now for the future ...the 4th place have very big prize and is a big target ..with keeping alonso gives other air for next season ..and with red bull switch a hope for more better result ..ok honda made steps ..but if we see ..until the half way of season is on 5 engine ....this compination can be atractive for new sponsors deals and bring more boost for the team ....i hope from now the team can find the power to react and catch all this targets ...we cant wait for miracle ..only watch the fight for the 4th place this year ...
lack of money?
They were 3rd on money spent in 2017, 4th in 2018
And how Red Bull switching gives hope for better is beyond me...

3rd and 4rd maybe ,,but how much of this is salary for staff ? how much for the car R&D?...only alonso all this years cost more than all the others drivers from mid-small teams...even red bull spend less for his line up

and the red bull switch maybe create problems for them ..if we look torro rosso cleary even with honda step up this year ..is slower from 2017 (ok mclaren too on chassis side ..but not overall ..simple the dont have the max performance gains from renault PU )..

if you are 4th (we take the scenario mclaren take 4th place at the end this year) and the 3rd team make big risky change ..there is hope for one step more for 4 to 3 ...

ok right now looks like imposimple but we dont know what is mclaren problem and what they can do to fix it this year...and at the end 4th renanult works team is not miles away ....mclaren is not the favorite for 4th place but its not untouchable target
I would say toro Rosso actually have a better car this year combined even though they might have lost engine performance.
You have to consider Renault are much stronger this year and haas. Sauber have got it together a few races also take into account they have one of the worst drivers on the grid in Hartley who has done nothing to suggest he is good enough for the seat.

Meanwhile McLaren gained engine performance andad have a decent driver in vandorne and a world class driver in Alonso yet are not really doing much better. A team like redbull will get the most from that honda which is improving and seems closer than ever to the Renault

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 02:47
RonDennis wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 00:23
Adios Alonso!!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 56233/?s=1

Zak is a coward. You see why I want this man fired?
A coward? You clearly haven't noticed what's been going on at McLaren in the last six years? If McLaren wants to sign new staff, that will take years, because you can't just switch teams. Getting a team back on track simply takes years. It doesn't mean you can't have any success in the meanwhile. McLaren already talked about improving their facilities, so that will take time as well. There is no magic bullet. Stop complaining so much. Yes the current situation isn't good, but they finally seem to understand what's happened to them. Give them some time. I think Brown has made a good impression this week.
Do not be tricked by Zak into thinking McLaren is some minnow team. As far as I see McLaren have only a human resource problem; not financial, not technological and not infrastructural. McLaren doesn't make engines either so they are far from stretched. They don't need a magic bullet per se, nothing is stopping them from getting themselves together and turning over a solid "best of the rest" car for next year. I feel the source of the problem is the dirty politics. McLaren stinks of "brown stuff."

What makes you think they understand what's happening to them? Interesting...

I was fooled at first, but it didn't take too long to realize that Brown is in over his head.
How much profit do you think Mclaren, as a company make in a year? Do you really believe they can run a top F1 team with the revenue they generate? Do you think they can compete with Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault financially, without external sponsorship? For the first year, Zak was charged with bringing in sponsorship, which he had been doing fairly well. He's only recently been made CEO of the race team. The team needs to rebuild after failing to address the issues of its recent past. I can't see what he's done wrong here.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

In season testing continues... Peter Prodromou is at the track. Apart from the fact that it's a home race, does he usually come to the races? I can't say I've noticed him at any race this year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

In season testing continues... Peter Prodromou is at the track. Apart from the fact that it's a home race, does he usually come to the races? I can't say I've noticed him at any race this year.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 04:27
I don't remember Ross Brawn, Guenther steiner or Bob Bell laying it out like this. They just did the damn thing and let the results speak for themselves...and Why does he have to remind us what his roe is? Lol

Hah. Zack fortunately has a good support system. But its all about how he harmonises with them. You clearly are convinced that he has done and will do well. I also am going off perception, signs, comments from insiders, rumours... So let's see how he does.
None of them were/are CEOs. They can't open their mouth without being instructed to do so. Other CEOs did not lay it down like Zak did, yes, but do you really expect Dr. Z and Gene Haas to come out like this? They are not even at the track every race. They have a lot more to do and handle, not just Formula 1 racing.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 11:06
Under the radar. He was in Baku as well.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Fernando Alonso: 2018 F1 rule changes hurt McLaren.

The FIA has clamped down on exhaust blowing and monkey seats, impacting an area in which McLaren had made gains, and it's understood that has been one of the major issues that the team has faced with the MCL33.

Last week in Austria former racing director Eric Boullier hinted that rule changes had an impact: "I will not explain publicly what's wrong. There are some differences in the regulations, and if you dig into it you might understand why."

Team boss Zak Brown admitted at Silverstone the 2018 chassis does not have as much downforce as its predecessor, which in effect means that the team has not been able to benefit as much as it expected to from the switch from Honda to Renault power.

"This year we lost some devices that were in the cars last year, at the back of the cars," said Alonso.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13723 ... en--alonso

BrunoH
BrunoH

Mclaren are around 3 sec off pace in FP1... i know they are testing but 3 secs is like a slow down lap for the front runners.... im not suprised if they come qualy are 2 secs + off pace.