2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Squid
Squid

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

They're testing a halo without the fairing and with a bunch of flow-viz. Really looks like they're completely lost as to what's causing the aero issues.

BrunoH
BrunoH

i think they should start to test 2019 parts on fp1´s from now forward.. wings etc.. this year is lost. i think its the best option for the team. --- 2018 and fully focus on 2019 aero rules, bring parts to fp1 that are 2019 related

Benii6
Benii6

BrunoH wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 12:24
Mclaren are around 3 sec off pace in FP1... i know they are testing but 3 secs is like a slow down lap for the front runners.... im not suprised if they come qualy are 2 secs + off pace.
They were 2,8 seconds off last year.

Thunder

First they need to understand what's wrong with their current Car.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

BrunoH
BrunoH

Thunder wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 12:33
First they need to understand what's wrong with their current Car.
That is true, but i rather they start working with 2019 parts and understand how they work already on track, since the correlations seem far off.

if they can make the 2019 parts work this year and add on that/ develop, they will be ahead of the championship fighting teams that cant do that ( from this year ) coming next year

Big Tea

BrunoH wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 12:32
i think they should start to test 2019 parts on fp1´s from now forward.. wings etc.. this year is lost. i think its the best option for the team. --- 2018 and fully focus on 2019 aero rules, bring parts to fp1 that are 2019 related
There is no point improving things for next year if they do not know where they are now. They could have a complete change of ethos for next year and waste 6 months going down a blind alley.

I think they are doing right bu going back as basic as they can and improving from there if they intended it or not.

I hope now they will do it methodically with small simple modes one at a a time so they can understand it, not go all out foe a supercomplicates mod they really do not know will work or not, but by having it commits their whole program.

If they end this year with a car that is stable and well understood, that will be a good start for next year.

Remember, next year there is a different thought process for the front wing, and everything flows from that.
If you are lost, the important thing is to find out where you are now, then plan a path from there. They do not know where they are. This is probably (hopefully ) why they are off the pace, testing what is there now not looking to the next big upgrade as they seem to have been doing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

BrunoH
BrunoH

i know this, hence why i think they should start to understand the 2019 front wing and test from there to the back, anyway just my opinion

restless
restless

they can't test 2019 FW on 2018 car...

BrunoH
BrunoH

they can test on FP1.... they just cant race it

bauc

BrunoH wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 13:32
Correct!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

adrianjordan

They need to understand their aero correlation problems so that they can be confident in their developments going forward. Otherwise they would run the risk of having serious problems with next year's car as well.

I do agree that they need to switch focus to 2019 as soon as they are able though. We saw in 2009 how teams were able to steal a march on the previous season's championship contenders by switching earlier.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Alonso Fan

Squid wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 12:29
They're testing a halo without the fairing and with a bunch of flow-viz. Really looks like they're completely lost as to what's causing the aero issues.
How does throwing a load of flow viz on the halo mean that they're completely lost.

For all we know they could have a decent understanding of what's happening and are using the flow viz on the halo for confirmation
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Big Tea

BrunoH wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 13:32
But the results would be meaningless. The front wing sets airflow for the rest of the car, and next year there is no outer section ( so to speak ), so anything they get will not transfer to next year (unless they pout a rake on and map)

BrunoH
BrunoH

I dont think testing concepts of front wings plus a few other stuff on the car such as bardgebords wold be meaningless, you always learn about what its doing were the flow is going to.. and taking that knowledge is always a plus in my view.

Big Tea

BrunoH wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 15:44
I dont think testing concepts of front wings plus a few other stuff on the car such as bardgebords wold be meaningless, you always learn about what its doing were the flow is going to.. and taking that knowledge is always a plus in my view.
No knowledge is wasted.