2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BrunoH
BrunoH

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

yap just watching sky sports f1 and they are speaking about this now, how some teams can start now development for 2019 , however the top teams championship teams cannot do that yet!

RonDennis
RonDennis

BrunoH wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:11
yap just watching sky sports f1 and they are speaking about this now, how some teams can start now development for 2019 , however the top teams championship teams cannot do that yet!
The top teams can run far more project than the others. Sometimes you wonder why McLaren and Renault aren't sharing data. They have a big gap to the top team, so why not try to gain by working together.

Xero

Big Tea wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 15:19
But the results would be meaningless. The front wing sets airflow for the rest of the car, and next year there is no outer section ( so to speak ), so anything they get will not transfer to next year (unless they pout a rake on and map)
True to an extent, but if the flow from the front wing is being interrupted by something else on the car unexpectedly, such as the nose, sidepods or even the halo, and it's causing problems towards the rear, then it is 100% vital they understand what is happening. Front wing regulation changes next year come 2nd to this.

Decent lap from Fernando in FP2 there though, you can tell he's really pushing hard to extract all the performance available. Anyone know the long runs times in relation to the midfield?

Haven't criticised Vandoorne this season, but he really needs to close the gap now. Lando Norris could very well nab his seat if Alonso stays on another year at this rate.

Xero

RonDennis wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 17:30
The top teams can run far more project than the others. Sometimes you wonder why McLaren and Renault aren't sharing data. They have a big gap to the top team, so why not try to gain by working together.
Not sure if it's data sharing, but the Renault has adopted a lot of McLaren ideas this season. With Red Bull out the picture next season, it dare say Renault and McLaren will grow a close-nit partnership.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Xero wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 17:39
RonDennis wrote:
Not sure if it's data sharing, but the Renault has adopted a lot of McLaren ideas this season. With Red Bull out the picture next season, it dare say Renault and McLaren will grow a close-nit partnership.
That was discussed today on Sky. Zak was asked, with the departure of Red Bull, would Renault and Mclaren form a closer relationship. He said that was a strong possibility, especially with the current state of F1 where you have teams forming groups. Mercedes with FI and Williams, Ferrari with Haas and Sauber, and of course Red Bull.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 17:57
Xero wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 17:39
RonDennis wrote:
That was discussed today on Sky. Zak was asked, with the departure of Red Bull, would Renault and Mclaren form a closer relationship. He said that was a strong possibility, especially with the current state of F1 where you have teams forming groups. Mercedes with FI and Williams, Ferrari with Haas and Sauber, and of course Red Bull.
Sounds like a good plan. They are also in dire need of a technical director, like Newey, Allison or Binotto.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Alo saved the day again with a P6. Let's hope they won't be 13-14-15ish in qualifying.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Boullier gone, best FP2 of the season. :lol: :lol:

Big Tea

RonDennis wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:12
I think that was more to do with the unexpected heat and very black track :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

zeph wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 07:12
I dunno. Zak Brown inherited a mess and has to clean house. Even though he came in as exec director in November 2016, he has been CEO only since last April.
Turning an operation like McLaren around takes time. I say wait and see what happens next year. I don’t know that Brown is responsible for this year’s misery.
Doesn't matter what we think or like he is the shareholders guy. He was appointed last year! Like it or not he isn't going anywhere soon. so stop moaning about it.

diffuser

Squid wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 12:29
They're testing a halo without the fairing and with a bunch of flow-viz. Really looks like they're completely lost as to what's causing the aero issues.
Why do you think that means their lost and not just trying to get the correlation right ? MMMMMMMM what's the difference between lost and correlation being wrong? Isn't "correlation problems" the definition of lost in aero speak ?

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:22
RonDennis wrote:
When Mclaren is dress in full DF on a propper DF track with fast corners, it's in it's most favorable element. The numbers don't lie, look at how well they do at all the high DF tracks.

It's the opposite of some cars, I could name a couple but will not, that can't get their DF to work in high DF mode but do better when they shed the DF.

Benii6
Benii6

diffuser wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:48
Big Tea wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
When Mclaren is dress in full DF on a FULL DF track with fast corners, it's in it's most favorable element. The numbers don't lie, look at how well they do at all the high DF tracks.

It's the opposite of some cars, I could name a couple but will not, that can't get their DF to work in high DF mode.
Alonso wasn't running the high DF rear wing.

rscsr

diffuser wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:48
Big Tea wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
When Mclaren is dress in full DF on a propper DF track with fast corners, it's in it's most favorable element. The numbers don't lie, look at how well they do at all the high DF tracks.

It's the opposite of some cars, I could name a couple but will not, that can't get their DF to work in high DF mode but do better when they shed the DF.
let's wait and see. They did glory runs in Canada as well.

dp12
dp12

What's long run pace like??