2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
roon
roon

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:30
Fully agreed. Let's not forget that he won 2 championships with a tuned mass damper...
Button won 1 via the double diffuser.
Vettel won 4 via EBD & chassis/bodywork.
Hamilton won 3 via Mercedes PU.
Nico won 1 via Mercedes PU.
I'm sure there are other examples.

How did Shumacher's Ferrari's stack up against the competition over the years?

Zynerji

I don't recall any of those items being hidden, and deemed illegal mid season.

And I also don't recall any of them belittling the achievements of others.

He's a great driver, but an awful sportsman.

I'm beginning to almost enjoy the wringing of hands from impotence for the last 3 years.

The one thing he can absolutely take full credit for is allowing his ego to find the non- championship winning car for the last 10 years.

Miha_v
Miha_v

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:50
The one thing he can absolutely take full credit for is allowing his ego to find the non- championship winning car for the last 10 years.
Which makes him just one and the same as any other great driver, really; fishing for the best possible drive to win races. You may not like Alonso, but the guy consistently showed great speed in virtually any car he drove - from Minardi, Renault, to Ferrari and Mclaren. Saying he won championship because of mass dampers is just as saying, Michael won his championships because of Ferrari being Bridgestone favourites, driving in the only team with private testing track (unlimited testing!) and having illegal TC (that was hidden too well for FIA, so they just rather made it legal again). Still, Michael is one of the greatest of all times (great driver, but after Adelaide and Jerez, not that great of a sportsman)

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

the tuned mass damper - Citroen made over 10 million so how was it hidden or cheating ?

(4 for each those things called the 2Cv many of which were 3 Cvs)

BosF1
BosF1

Tommy Cookers wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 10:26
the tuned mass damper - Citroen made over 10 million so how was it hidden or cheating ?

(4 for each those things called the 2Cv many of which correctly were called 3 Cvs)
Well, each and every vehicle nowadays has ABS. Yet it would be cheating if a F1 car would carry this technology.

For a system to be deemed illegal, it does not have to be a new and/or previously undiscovered technology, so your argument is a non-argument in my opinion.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Zynerji wrote:

I'm beginning to almost enjoy the wringing of hands from impotence for the last 3 years.

I agree, he's not a great sportsman unlike Schumacher, who took out a rival in a title decider twice, (Adelaide '94 and Jerez '97), parked his car on track so pole time wouldn't get beaten (Monaco '06), tried to run his ex team mate, Reubens into a wall at over 300km (Hungary 2010) or Ayrton Senna, who also took out a rival (Prost, Suzuka '90) or Hamilton, who conspired to get a driver punished by agreeing to tell a lie (Jarno Truili, Melbourne, '09) or Vettel, who deliberately drove alongside Hamilton and hit him (Baku '17), or Nico Rosberg, who deliberately hit Hamilton in a race (Spa '14), deliberately caused yellow flags so his pole time wouldn't get beaten (Monaco '14). What a terrible sportsman Fernando is, so unlike other Champions!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

The_table wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:35
I've been out of the loop for a while now (Still watch all the races but i don't follow the news.)

What is it with Alonso's teammates performing so disappointingly, does he hog up all the resources, does he actively screw them over, is he incapable of developing a car, does he demand something only he can drive?

I'm confused lads... (Please don't take this the wrong way, i like Fred but damn...)
That's the very 1st time I see someone seeking for blame on a driver that's always faster than his team-mate. A new day, a new opportunity for new things to see...

adrianjordan

I would like to see Fernando stick around and help rebuild Mclaren much like Schumacher did with Mercedes. He might not win another WDC, but I would think he would take some pride in helping the get the team back to the top.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mclaren111

GP Fans:

Sleepless nights ahead for McLaren - De Ferran

"The success I had behind the wheel, and any success I had as a business man, came from really trying to understand where my weaknesses were.

"I was not one to be afraid to look in the mirror and say 'I could have done better here' and 'I could have done better there. What do I need to do to improve?'

"The second thing is I realised very early on in my life that success never comes along [on its own]. You don't have success by yourself. Very few people are able to achieve many things in life by themselves.

I like his attitude !!

McG

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 11:10
Zynerji wrote:

I agree, he's not a great sportsman unlike Schumacher, who took out a rival in a title decider twice, (Adelaide '94 and Jerez '97), parked his car on track so pole time wouldn't get beaten (Monaco '06), tried to run his ex team mate, Reubens into a wall at over 300km (Hungary 2010) or Ayrton Senna, who also took out a rival (Prost, Suzuka '90) or Hamilton, who conspired to get a driver punished by agreeing to tell a lie (Jarno Truili, Melbourne, '09) or Vettel, who deliberately drove alongside Hamilton and hit him (Baku '17), or Nico Rosberg, who deliberately hit Hamilton in a race (Spa '14), deliberately caused yellow flags so his pole time wouldn't get beaten (Monaco '14). What a terrible sportsman Fernando is, so unlike other Champions!
Or Kimi when he...

:P
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mclaren111

adrianjordan wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 12:29
I would like to see Fernando stick around and help rebuild Mclaren much like Schumacher did with Mercedes. He might not win another WDC, but I would think he would take some pride in helping the get the team back to the top.

Totally agree with you. It would also do his image a world of good.

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 14:38
adrianjordan wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 12:29

Totally agree with you. It would also do his image a world of good.
I agree

Andres125sx

ispano6 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 21:26
I really doubt Alonso has given up on winning the Indy 500. The whole Indy season was to cater to Alonso, probably the same with LMP but now that's not necessary. It still seems to me Alonso is part of the problem, or Zak promising anything to Alonso is a problem. All that lack of focus was caused by the marketing guru who wanted to see McLaren expand into lesser series for "marketing" reasons... this all happening after his "promotion". We probably haven't seen the last of the McLaren departures.
Wrong, all that lack of focus was caused by McLaren poor perfomance in past 5 seasons, Zack joint the ship when the problem had been obvious for everyone for a long time, so he barely can be the root of the problem.

That lack of perfomance for that long is what caused a reduction in sponsors income and McLaren (Brown) being forced to do something to keep fans (and sponsors) interest on McLaren

We´ll see if he can be part of the solution or not, but right now I´d he´s doing a good job from the marketing point of view wich is his main job.

But he can´t solve McLaren huge problems in 6 months, give him some time

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

mclaren111 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 12:38
GP Fans:

"The success I had behind the wheel, and any success I had as a business man, came from really trying to understand where my weaknesses were.

"I was not one to be afraid to look in the mirror and say 'I could have done better here' and 'I could have done better there. What do I need to do to improve?'

"The second thing is I realised very early on in my life that success never comes along [on its own]. You don't have success by yourself. Very few people are able to achieve many things in life by themselves.

I like his attitude !!
Yeah, the exact opposite to Boullier...

proteus

Nonserviam85 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 17:01
mclaren111 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 12:38
GP Fans:

I like his attitude !!
Yeah, the exact opposite to Boullier...
Results are needed, not statements.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows