2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
charliesmithhd

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

GoranF1 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 21:44
Hungary update will be biggest of year for Mclaren, after BCN, in number of updated parts, but they dont expect to jump to top of midfield whit them.
Are there any aspects on the car that give it slow quali pace, but ok race pace? I'm sure this update will try and cure the lack of quali pace.

Unf

If the biggest update of year is not expected as way to top of the rest of teams - what kind of "update" will it be? Fake-like? ;/

adrianjordan

charliesmithhd wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 18:57
They need to develop the side pod areas, even compared to sauber, the McLaren looks bare
I agree, but Sauber is the wrong comparison, they have possibly the busiest side pods with all their openings etc!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

godlameroso

Unf wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 22:40
If the biggest update of year is not expected as way to top of the rest of teams - what kind of "update" will it be? Fake-like? ;/
I guess, they don't know how much of a difference it will make, or if it needs tuning. We'll see.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

charliesmithhd wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 22:26
GoranF1 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 21:44
Hungary update will be biggest of year for Mclaren, after BCN, in number of updated parts, but they dont expect to jump to top of midfield whit them.
Are there any aspects on the car that give it slow quali pace, but ok race pace? I'm sure this update will try and cure the lack of quali pace.
Ask Renault.
Saishū kōnā

BrunoH
BrunoH

Re: McLaren MCL33

what the hell... now at same level than the williams???? around the last place? anyone know what the hell is going on??

charliesmithhd

Don't think they were doing quali runs today

PhillipM
PhillipM

BrunoH wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:35
what the hell... now at same level than the williams???? around the last place? anyone know what the hell is going on??
1) They were testing parts
2) As I said last week, it's traction heavy here, and they have a car with poor mechanical traction as well as the aero problems - they expected to be near the back there again for qualifying pace on this circuit, just like France.
IF the new bits and pieces work along with the new setup, they're expecting the car to be in the midfield where it should usually be.
Not clear of it.
Not at the front of it.
Not sticking a finger in the air and declaring "that area should be worth 2-3 tenths, they'll be clear of the midfield!" speculative crap.
It should just get them back to their more normal pace around the Q3 cutoff so they can push it further with more upgrades later.

Big Tea

They seem to be doing what they should have done very early season, which is establish a baseline of knowledge to build on.
If they go back to known territory, then try the mods one by one (or module by module in some cases) they will have a better understanding of where they are mow and why they are there.
No point putting a roof on if the walls are not level.
Someone seems th be getting their way at last.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

gdogg371 wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 11:54
I wonder what odds there are on McLaren falling into the hands of a BMW, Mercedes or VW in the next ten years as a whole? I know their applied technologies and road car businesses are doing a lot better than the F1 team is, but what would the selling price need to be for the group and would one of the major car manufacturers want to own them?
In the next ten years Audi, BMW and Mercedes will be 100% focused on FE :wink:

mclaren111

I think PP has finally got things going the way it should be - Step by Step - Not "rocket ship" every year !!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Whatever is going on, it appears it's a step by step process, no quick fix. You just wonder what the cut off would be before they're fully focused on 2019. Can anybody give an insight to how the new front wing rules would affect current (2018) aero philosophy, would it require a massive overhaul?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 17:49
Whatever is going on, it appears it's a step by step process, no quick fix. You just wonder what the cut off would be before they're fully focused on 2019. Can anybody give an insight to how the new front wing rules would affect current (2018) aero philosophy, would it require a massive overhaul?
No cascades; simpler endplates; only two strakes underneath; bit wider. Will effect downforce massively since FW defines how everything behind works. Lap time loss predicted around 1.5 sec.

Unf

PhillipM wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:53
As I said last week, it's traction heavy here, and they have a car with poor mechanical traction as well as the aero problems
So they have neither traction nor speed... they have nothing...

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Unf wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:28
PhillipM wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:53
As I said last week, it's traction heavy here, and they have a car with poor mechanical traction as well as the aero problems
So they have neither traction nor speed... they have nothing...
Ye they have nothing, that's why they were much better in Silverstone. They're good at high speed stuff and high downforce circuits.