Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xtremeclock
xtremeclock

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

To the experts here:

How much a damaged front wing could have contributed to Vettel losing the car the way he did ?

https://twitter.com/SmilexTech/status/1 ... 4721137664

turbof1

xtremeclock wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:33
To the experts here:

How much a damaged front wing could have contributed to Vettel losing the car the way he did ?

Based on precedent: not a whole lot. He lost his cascade elements, which aren't hugely costly in terms of downforce. They are more for getting airflow outwash.

You'd get perhaps a bit of understeer from it, while I think Vettel got a snap of oversteer.
#AeroFrodo

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Loss of outwash would have possibly caused an instability (some tyre wake might have gone under the car) in the diffuser and thus loss of rear downforce. On a wet track on slicks, that slight loss of rear grip under braking would have been enough to, well, cause a slide in to the gravel.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

radosav
radosav

Well he said on radio that was his mistake, and apologised to team.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

I read the Ferraris were destroying the Mercs to the tune of 0.5 seconds down the straight of Hockenheim? is that true? If that is indeed true that sounds to me like a mix of aero and motor. I still think it's Ferrari's championship to lose. The Mercedes has evolved nicely but seems to me like Ferrari is being more innovative across the board and their PU definitely has a better deployment which would explain why all their customer teams are rocking up and down the grid!

xtremeclock
xtremeclock

radosav wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:36
Of course he did, but from the cockpit you can't really see how damaged the FW is...and there is some new information from #AMuS:

"Photographers reported that Sirotkin had already slid through the gravel bed in the Sachskurve. The Merc V6 of the Russian lost to a leak engine oil. Maybe SV slipped on exactly this one."

It was the perfect storm for Vettel, cold and worn tyres, damaged front wing, oil in the track surface...

Bad luck?

---

Fantastic pic:

https://twitter.com/andihaupt1/status/1 ... 7187198976

aral
aral

There was something else that did not look right, at least not the comment on snap oversteer. Watching the onboard, Vettel had some left lock on yet the wheels seemed to be pointing straight ahead. More a case of understeer.

Vanja #66

djones wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 11:39
All this recent talk of the Ferrari engine being the most powerful....

I think its not and the Merc still is and its just the Ferrari is really clean on the aero (like Red Bull).
Some of us've been saying that since roll out. :)

aral wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 17:42
There was something else that did not look right, at least not the comment on snap oversteer. Watching the onboard, Vettel had some left lock on yet the wheels seemed to be pointing straight ahead. More a case of understeer.
Tends to happen with worn tyres on wet track. If that thing about oil leak is true, well, nothing that Seb could've done.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Edax
Edax

turbof1 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:43
xtremeclock wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:33
To the experts here:

Based on precedent: not a whole lot. He lost his cascade elements, which aren't hugely costly in terms of downforce. They are more for getting airflow outwash.

You'd get perhaps a bit of understeer from it, while I think Vettel got a snap of oversteer.
Verstappen explained it when he knocked off his endplate. You get some understeer, so you have to counter that by adjusting the diff and the brake balance to get the car to rotate.

Aside from that Vet also needed to anticipate on the wet corners which also cause understeer and need to be mitigated in diff/BB.

I guess it is pretty hard to have the setup right if you are working from an unfamiliar basis going into a corner with unknown conditions.

What it is interesting. If you look on the onboard to me it looks indeed like he is fighting oversteer. But if you look from the outside the rear looks planted.

Kind of reminds me of the contact with Hamilton in the GP of Mexico. The car looked like it understeered, yet he pulled at the steering wheel to open up the front (which ended in the contact with Hamilton).

BassVirolla

Edax wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 20:59
[...]
What it is interesting. If you look on the onboard to me it looks indeed like he is fighting oversteer. But if you look from the outside the rear looks planted.
[...]
Possibly he was fighting understeer by loosing some speed while pointing the steering a bit wide, trying to regain some grip instead of trying to mantain the line (tightening the steering). This could be the case if rejoin the trajectory was impossible.

Edax
Edax

BassVirolla wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:46
Edax wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 20:59
[...]
[...]
Possibly he was fighting understeer by loosing some speed while pointing the steering a bit wide, trying to regain some grip instead of trying to mantain the line (tightening the steering). This could be the case if rejoin the trajectory was impossible.
I am more at ease with sliding two wheels than four (except for the occasional cart), so maybe someone with more experience could chip in.

As I see it he almost went full lock in countersteer. That I can understand in case the rear wheels are sliding. You have to be quick before the back pushes you around. But in understeer the rear wheels have grip you only have to open up enough to prevent the front wheels from sliding. Which would not be beyond the 12 o clock position.

turbof1

Let's get back on topic. A question was asked if Vettel's damage on his front wing could have played a part in his crash. The induced understeer could have. The debate in this debate always has to relate back to the hardware.
#AeroFrodo

radosav
radosav

xtremeclock wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 17:34
radosav wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:36
Of course he did, but from the cockpit you can't really see how damaged the FW is...and there is some new information from #AMuS:

"Photographers reported that Sirotkin had already slid through the gravel bed in the Sachskurve. The Merc V6 of the Russian lost to a leak engine oil. Maybe SV slipped on exactly this one."

It was the perfect storm for Vettel, cold and worn tyres, damaged front wing, oil in the track surface...

Bad luck?

---

Fantastic pic:

https://twitter.com/andihaupt1/status/1 ... 7187198976
Day after he again Said it was his mistake and that was it, and that he needs to find peace inside himself.

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw

Best pictures from AMuS