2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 07:57
Right, the metal bar is only for support. If you go back into the RBR midwing/Bargeboard build up. It start with a support like added.
Yes the RB14 has similar support devices, like other cars. In pre-season testing they were falling off due to structural weakness so they added them. I have to apologize but I'm not really catching your train of thought here.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 08:18
diffuser wrote:
Right, the metal bar is only for support. If you go back into the RBR midwing/Bargeboard build up. It start with a support like added.
Yes the RB14 has similar support devices, like other cars. In pre-season testing they were falling off due to structural weakness so they added them. I have to apologize but I'm not really catching your train of thought here.
Just hoping that the major upgrade for Hungry includes new midwing/bargeboards T-tray, etc.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 09:34
M840TR wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 08:18
diffuser wrote:
Just hoping that the major upgrade for Hungry includes new midwing/bargeboards T-tray, etc.
I hope so too. That area needs some dire attention.

charliesmithhd

are there any links to sources talking about the update?

M840TR
M840TR

charliesmithhd wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 12:18
are there any links to sources talking about the update?
Check previous pages.

Pany
Pany

Honly hope I have is McLaren is designing a new car around the same chassis but with big modification to optimise aero and engine layout, to be tested after Hungary in 2018; otherwise they are --- up to 2020. there is no other way to get closer to Renault, Redbull. If they plan instead to start new car for 2019 they will amplify the technical dealy with respect to all other teams. Keeping to develop this car in season is totally useless

adrianjordan

Respectfully disagree that continuing in season development is useless.

The mid-field is so tight that they could still aim for 4th in WCC if they manage to unlock some potential.

Also a lot of areas will carry over to next year's car. Just because aero is changing, mechanical development is stable and areas like the sidepods etc can be carried over.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

RonDennis
RonDennis

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 14:01

The mid-field is so tight that they could still aim for 4th in WCC if they manage to unlock some potential.

Also a lot of areas will carry over to next year's car. Just because aero is changing, mechanical development is stable and areas like the sidepods etc can be carried over.
I don't believe McLaren feels that they can challenge the mid-field teams on certain tracks and 4th place isn't possible in my eyes. This years car is just flawed, it's a sh!t stain and it has been one from day one.

M840TR
M840TR

Pany wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 13:44
Honly hope I have is McLaren is designing a new car around the same chassis but with big modification to optimise aero and engine layout, to be tested after Hungary in 2018; otherwise they are --- up to 2020. there is no other way to get closer to Renault, Redbull. If they plan instead to start new car for 2019 they will amplify the technical dealy with respect to all other teams. Keeping to develop this car in season is totally useless
Major modifications are opposite of what they need right now. That's just slapping on parts to see which one sticks. It's a step by step process. Slow and agonising, yes. But development is only possible once the spark of success has been lit. If it has in Hungary, expect improvement since then.

mclaren111

Send to McLaren to show them how !! :wink: :wink:

godlameroso

I'm sure they've been aware for some time. But it's not as easy as just making parts and putting them on. As has been mentioned it can take over a month just to manufacture. Design, testing, validating, refining are all additional steps. Which means it can take months for a team to react, more if the changes are comprehensive.
Saishū kōnā

charliesmithhd

So some of the updates now are to combat issues found earlier at for instance Montreal?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Mclaren are so confused right now, they can't even remember the last time they won the Hungarian Grand Prix. According to their race preview:

"McLaren has won the Hungarian Grand Prix 11 times, most recently in 2009".

They've actually won it two more times since then, 2011 & 2012, with Jenson and Lewis respectively.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

proteus

RonDennis wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 15:19
adrianjordan wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 14:01

I don't believe McLaren feels that they can challenge the mid-field teams on certain tracks and 4th place isn't possible in my eyes. This years car is just flawed, it's a sh!t stain and it has been one from day one.
The 2009 car was one as well, and they have managed to make a winner out of it. Clearly a mission impossible in this year, but making it a solid contender for points is worth doing and possible to do so.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

PhillipM
PhillipM

They need to sort it out first, because if you nail down what and why the issue occured, you might drop straight into the same problem on the next car.