2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Revs84
Revs84

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... f-1064036/

For me it's quite shocking news. Given his experience and capabilities, I consider James Key as a strong pillar for TR, but this move is completely understandable, since TR will always be just RBR's junior team.

Although unfortunate, clearly this will be a step up for him, since McLaren are in a better position to provide him a platform where to grow, and I'm pretty sure he'll make a big difference.

Not to mention that he's British and this will allow him to be closer to home and to his family more often.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Given the rumours that Williams/Mercedes are going to form a closer partnership alla Ferrari/Haas (https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1022073996911751168), it's conceivable that Red Bull/Toro Rosso may follow suit and that could diminish James Key's role/impact within the team. They'll be designing next years cars now so this approach would already be apparent to him.

Even if this isn't the case, career-wise it makes sense to go somewhere independent where he can take another step up and McLaren are a wonderful opportunity; it's much harder to make noticeable improvements when things are going well!

Karim28
Karim28

I think Key is just like Sainz .. when he didn't find the opportunity to be promoted to the REDBULL team , he left
The decision of making Pierre Waché as a technical director supported Key's decision to leave to a team with big ambitions and logistics

HPD

First, I am very happy for Mclaren, James Key is very good.

But Albert Fabrega already said it a while ago. The Red Bull / TR relationship goes one step further (like Ferrari / Haas / Sauber). So Key is not so necessary anymore. It's a shame, but TR will be a true B team in 2019

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

HPD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 13:29

But Albert Fabrega already said it a while ago. The Red Bull / TR relationship goes one step further (like Ferrari / Haas / Sauber). So Key is not so necessary anymore. It's a shame, but TR will be a true B team in 2019
I agree, will probably be the strongest and most seamless partnership on the grid, since both teams are under the same management. Over the years, Toro Rosso have boasted a mostly independent Technical and aero philosophy, they haven't just copied the Red Bull direction. But all that is likely to change, Red Bull still have the best out there in Newey, there will be a strong influence in 2019.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

HPD

The biggest teams have their B team (double information).
Mclaren, FI, TR, Renault and Williams spend a lot of money on research. And Sauber or Haas arrives and defeats them.

Mercedes - Williams
Ferrari - Haas - Sauber
Red Bull - TR

Renault
FI
Mclaren

These last 3 teams are going to have a difficult life. I am not very happy with this new formula 1.

RonDennis
RonDennis

HPD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 13:29

I have also read somewhere that Key wanted to go back to the UK. McLaren is probably one of the best opportunities in his career, you can't do much wrong there currently. He looks like the perfect guy for the job, very structured and organized. He has also done some amazing things at Sauber and Force India.

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

Sad but understandable. I dont see our team making big performance gains this year then because Key will be put on gardening leave almost immediately...will just have to hope for good results next year with RB.

adrianjordan

HPD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:19
The biggest teams have their B team (double information).
Mclaren, FI, TR, Renault and Williams spend a lot of money on research. And Sauber or Haas arrives and defeats them.

Mercedes - Williams
Ferrari - Haas - Sauber
Red Bull - TR

Renault
FI
Mclaren

These last 3 teams are going to have a difficult life. I am not very happy with this new formula 1.
Agreed. I hope Mclaren and Renault starr working closer together. Or if the rumours about Stroll buying FI prove false, then maybe Mclaren could work something out there...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

OT but Mclaren arent in a position to do an A team B team with their engineering in a mess right now. Finances arent as strong as the top 3 either. No way Renault and Mclaren witll be A team B team with each other, and no way FI or Stroll F1 will give up that Merc for a Renault..

!Technical
!Technical

Looks like James is on his way but the period of gardening leave is still a question mark. TR has claimed he was on a long contract so that may complicate things.

gandharva

Seems Franz is not OK with this deal...

https://twitter.com/ToroRosso/status/10 ... 5448602625

rogazilla
rogazilla

Bargaining chip. Let's see what TR can get out of this.

gandharva

Yes. After this statement I assume it's going to be an expensive deal for Mclaren.

Snorked
Snorked

Hartley must be 8-[

I can see both teams thrashing out deal with Norris moving to the Red Bull family. If they do it quickly then Norris will drive the car at the post Hungary test and replace Brendon after the summer break.