2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Singabule
Singabule

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Then it is the time to save mr green from sunking FI! As he is definitely okay with no 2 status (1 always newey) so it is perfect fit for the team. Komatsu san is another great addition imo

McMika98
McMika98

Wow. Shocker. This team is in freefall and now it is going deep into the abyss. Forget Lando even getting Nando would not be a good deal for Key. What good is a driver on a bad car.

No wonder the team is struggling lately as Key must be in two minds and already thinking ahead. Sadly there is no good replacement for him. One of the best out there and it seemed that RedBull were grooming him to replace Newey.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McMika98 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:29
Wow. Shocker. This team is in freefall and now it is going deep into the abyss. Forget Lando even getting Nando would not be a good deal for Key. What good is a driver on a bad car.

No wonder the team is struggling lately as Key must be in two minds and already thinking ahead. Sadly there is no good replacement for him. One of the best out there and it seemed that RedBull were grooming him to replace Newey.
Ferrari didn't go into free fall after James Allison left, neither did Mercedes when Lowe left. Don't forget 2019 will be effectively 2 teams working as one. Expect aero philosophy to be in sync. As Haas have proved, the FIA can't do much to police these things. I don't think it will be that bad for the Red Bull family in general.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

etusch

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:54
McMika98 wrote:

Ferrari didn't go into free fall after James Allison left, neither did Mercedes when Lowe left. Don't forget 2019 will be effectively 2 teams working as one. Expect aero philosophy to be in sync. As Haas have proved, the FIA can't do much to police these things. I don't think it will be that bad for the Red Bull family in general.
This is second man from redbull Group to Mclaren and it looks like that first one couldn't help Mclaren while didn't broke anything at redbull. This is not one man thing as everyone knows.
This year will be good for both rookie drivers to develop themselves and hope they will be good next year , hope Honda will be good.
Most important parts is Honda. I hope they can achieve to produce an engine good enough to beat rivals with redbull/Toro Rosso chassis

ME4ME

Key extended his contract with Toro Rosso not very long ago if I recall correctly. I can see why Tost is not amused by this. I fully expect Toro Rosso and Red Bull to drag this out as long as they can; Mclaren are a ship without captain without Key.

HPD

McMika98 wrote:
Wow. Shocker. This team is in freefall and now it is going deep into the abyss.
Let's ask Sauber and Haas, how deep they are in the abyss :lol:

McMika98
McMika98

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:54
To me Allison was a bit overrated and we can see that Merc arent where they were supposed to. He made cars good on tyres and consistent, never fast. I actually think he hindered Ferrari and after he left they came up with innovative and aggresive aero packages. Ditto Mercedes now.

Will be interesting to see how Key does because he never had the budget and yet always delivered start of season before the rest of the field outdeveloped them. He will definiitely reign on PeterPs power.
As for TR, they need to do a Haas starting from next week testing and put the B spec RedBull chassis now.

restless
restless

I think TR will try with late development to fight for higher place in constructor championat, using that others will switch to 2019

McMika98
McMika98

HPD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 18:14
Haas is doing pretty good amd sauber is faster than TR so didnt quite get your joke

McMika98
McMika98

restless wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:03
I think TR will try with late development to fight for higher place in constructor championat, using that others will switch to 2019
Their update failed to deliver and James has his mind on something else so what ever they do aint cutting it. Infact they will prolly be plumb last after Williams improve. So its upto RedBull now to just give them their B chassis so TR can gain some respect.

Big Tea

I can imagine his thoughts when told that next year they will be using as many parts off the Red Bull as they can get away with using.

That is not what the guy in charge of design principle wants to hear, because it changes his job from ' make us a good car' to 'fit some bits in around these boxes'.
It would not be his design and the STR would not be as good as the Red Bull, and guess who did not design the bits in between as good as the Red Bull did?

He would either have to understand and work with in the principle of the Red Bull, or possibly create masters from a drawing passed to him along with the components, or work almost in the dark as the design was not his or his teams.

I can understand him not being happy. He can not win or enhance his reputation, only damage it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Big Tea wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:36
I can imagine his thoughts when told that next year they will be using as many parts off the Red Bull as they can get away with using.
I can understand him not being happy. He can not win or enhance his reputation, only damage it
Exactly! We are already being told the rear end is going to be a red bull copy. If you are a designer and take pride in putting your product out there to compete, you can't be happy about this. I think this is a great move for him. As for TR, it is sad to see for the fans because all of those little clever innovation and the chip on the shoulder to compete with smaller budget and resources is gone. Now it is officially a B team.

Red Bull group as a whole, this is probably the logical move anyway. As for getting a driver into this car, this is still a training ground a place for the young driver to prove themselves (we can argue the success and failure rate of the program separately). If you think Ric and/or max will eventually leave, then bring in Lando or Vandoorne to wait in the wing is not worse than what they currently have.

rogazilla
rogazilla

McMika98 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:27
HPD wrote:
Haas is doing pretty good amd sauber is faster than TR so didnt quite get your joke
several interviews already stated 2019 TR will share the rear end with Red Bull and share as many parts as possible. Like Haas and Sauber is doing respective to their A team.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

McMika98 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:27
HPD wrote:
you don't understand sarcasm?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

daniellammers
daniellammers

How an engineer can trigger the silly season, awesome!
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman