Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:25
LM10 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:17
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:13

Ok it seems u have edited .

Nevertheless 2MJ from K and rest from H... still I don't get how they can recharge ES to 4MJ in a normal circuit as there is a limit for braking force and the amount of energy transferred to ES .... and I am sorry but I don't see how free load mode of fully charging the ES with 2MJ from K (which is impossible unless u brake in more places) is possible in every single lap of the race. The restriction in harvesting energy will not allow it
It's called engineering for a reason. They push and invent new solutions. I dont understand how you can be sure about a thing being impossible to do, especially for a relatively new technology the hybrid system is.
As this is technical forum....please give technical details of how free load mode and full delpoyment of energy can be done on every single lap of the race?
That is what I said is not possible due to the restriction in harvesting energy in K and nearly major tracks were only up to 1 MJ can be harvested in a lap (this is due to the track characteristics and other factors of braking duration and time of harvesting.....there is a physical limit....we cannot bend the rules of physics with better technology )....so free loading and full delpoyment won't work in every single lap of the race
Siskue, look up Honda's 'extra harvest' mode. It's basically electric fuel accumulation. It legally circumvents the 2MJ MGUK generation limit.

The energy limit is how much fuel is in the car.
Honda!

MtthsMlw

PG Tech:
Loophole on hybrid part. Ferrari, who lost power during the controls between Spain and France (hence the 35 hp increase in Austria), was able to take advantage of even more aggressive mapping after the final okay of the FIA in the controls.

dren

subcritical71 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:35
siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

It's called engineering for a reason. They push and invent new solutions. I dont understand how you can be sure about a thing being impossible to do, especially for a relatively new technology the hybrid system is.
As this is technical forum....please give technical details of how free load mode and full delpoyment of energy can be done on every single lap of the race?
That is what I said is not possible due to the restriction in harvesting energy in K and nearly major tracks were only up to 1 MJ can be harvested in a lap (this is due to the track characteristics and other factors of braking duration and time of harvesting.....there is a physical limit....we cannot bend the rules of physics with better technology )....so free loading and full delpoyment won't work in every single lap of the race
It would probably help to define what free load mode actually is. To me it’s a made up term in this context.
It's limitless energy that magically is channeled from the cosmos into the Ferrari PU that makes the car go fast. I guess the debate is how they can do it every lap.
Honda!

AJI
AJI

subcritical71 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:35

It would probably help to define what free load mode actually is. To me it’s a made up term in this context.
Indeed, 'free load' is a misnomer. Nothing is free, it's just about who has the most effective ERS strategy.

siskue2005

Free loading term was used in two context.
1. They can charge everything up to full level before leaving the pits.
2. Doing this thing on the track via K and H.

Jejking
Jejking

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:43
Why 1? They can't. Charging only happens on the track.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

RZS10 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:34
MtthsMlw wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 22:40
Leclerc said that Haas and Sauber are getting fresh spec 2 PUs - the same Ferrari is using - but with new engine mapping which Ferrari uses since Austria.
This essentially confirms that the "straight line performance boost" does come from the engine side and not aero (as some have speculated) ...
Were does the straight line performance boost comes from then?

AJI
AJI

dren wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:42
...I guess the debate is how they can do it every lap.
with old skool magic crystals…

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

siskue2005 wrote:
It is getting very confusing now.

AJI
AJI

Jejking wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:50
siskue2005 wrote:
They can charge the ES in the pits, just not during quali sessions. I think that only started this year?

wuzak
wuzak

AJI wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:56
Jejking wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:50
siskue2005 wrote:
They can charge the ES in the pits, just not during quali sessions. I think that only started this year?
Or at any time during the race.

Well, maybe if the wheel the car back into the garage.

subcritical71

saviour stivala wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:53
siskue2005 wrote:
It is getting very confusing now.
That’s kind of the point. Ambiguous terms just lead to confusion.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

dren wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:39
siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Siskue, look up Honda's 'extra harvest' mode. It's basically electric fuel accumulation. It legally circumvents the 2MJ MGUK generation limit.

The energy limit is how much fuel is in the car.
It was interesting this morning hearing McLaren pit wall telling Vendorn not to brake when on throttle because that was why his anti stall tripped his throttle activation. could be he was trying hard to make his ERS-K charge some more.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 11:17
turbof1 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 10:46
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 10:22

That is not possible according to the current rules and restrictions
Can you clarify by bringing up the appropiate regulations? Not saying you are wrong, but this is technical thread where it is expected to be a bit more than just "that's not possible".
I would also like to know the technical detiaps of how Ferrari can operate in free load mode for every single lap of the race and on every straights.
By being able to recharge their ES on every single lap.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Tommy Cookers wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 12:50
saviour stivala wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 12:37
that any attempt at bypassing what the rules allows from ERS-K to crankshaft of which is measured will bhe on the wrong side of the rules.

it won't be on the wrong side of the rules because .....
there is no rule preventing K motor action exceeding 4 MJ per lap .....
if the MJ over 4 doesn't come from ES energy and the K motor action doesn't exceed the nominal 120 kW power
There are only two ERS components that what goes in and out of them is limitted and that is why they are the only two components that what goes in and out of them is measure by an approved FIA measuring sensor and the sensor being positined in an aproved FIA location on the particular element. the other ERS elements that what goes in and out of the is unlimitted nothing needs be measured. any attempt to bypass any of those measurement (sensors) and it will certainly be on the wrong side of the rules.
Last edited by saviour stivala on 27 Jul 2018, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.