2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 16:16
I didnt follow fast laps in Fp2.
Did Alonso get perfect lap?
Did they run updates?
Alonso was talking about topping midfield here yesterday.
I don't think he said topping the midfield, but rather fighting with the top of the midfield runners...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

adrianjordan

I like Stoffel, but maybe Mclaren should really consider letting him go to STR if they are asked.

I have no idea what's going on with him, but the gap to Alonso is too big...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 17:17
I like Stoffel, but maybe Mclaren should really consider letting him go to STR if they are asked.

I have no idea what's going on with him, but the gap to Alonso is too big...
Makes you wonder which of them is showing the car in a true light. Shame they are not letting someone else drive FP1
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Well, that would be Alonso. As has been said many, many, many times, no driver can make a car go faster than it is physically capable of doing. They can get the car closer to its limit, but that just means they're showing what the car is capable of.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 17:43
Well, that would be Alonso. As has been said many, many, many times, no driver can make a car go faster than it is physically capable of doing. They can get the car closer to its limit, but that just means they're showing what the car is capable of.
I agree with what you are saying, but they are not likely to be able to fit an Alonso to the other car :D

It is taken as known that Alonso can get the most out of a car but who can you compare them with that does not have Alonso driving? Either SV is very bad, which I don't think, or the car is lacking something. Maybe another driver not as technically able as Alonso driving a FP1 would help them set the level.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

McMika98 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 16:03
godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 15:44
2015/2016 were mediocre cars with good drivers that could punch above the competition. Not to mention they had the 2015 Ferrari engine which means the 2016 car was good at the start of the season but eventually even the Honda surpassed it.
BS again. The drivers you allude to were rookies that year, didn't have a clue about developing a f1 car. Drove what they were given. Carlos hasnt outperformed Nico this year.
I guess the BS tastes better when it's your own. Verstappen has already proved himself, he's consistently faster than Riccardo. It's also not the driver's job to develop the car. You already embarrassed yourself when you tried to school me about aero, are you a glutton for punishment?
Last edited by godlameroso on 27 Jul 2018, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

RonDennis wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 16:42
godlameroso wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 15:38

That's just BS.

Force India: 2009 pole in Spa.
Toro Rosso: 2015/2016 were great cars.
2009 First year of new regulations, where did the FI end up in the race? Or anywhere else that season? They were 9th in the constructors btw.

2015/2016 were mediocre cars with good drivers that could punch above the competition. Not to mention they had the 2015 Ferrari engine which means the 2016 car was good at the start of the season but eventually even the Honda surpassed it.
They ended up second and they only had a couple of months to redesign the car to a Mercedes engine, which meant they aimed their upgrades at certain tracks, like Spa en Monza. Of course they eventually got surpassed by the Honda, because they didn't receive any engine updates. But should we take anything seriously from a guy that still claims that this McLaren isn't that bad of a car? You just sound very sour at everything that they do. If a Toro Rosso car scores a 4th place and is one of the fastest cars on a wet track (with 2 rookies), it's mainly because of the drivers.
Consistency is key, that 4th place was due to luck more than anything, and that pace hasn't been replicated since. Maybe you missed my avatar is a Honda badge, in what world do I come across as a Honda hater? I have my opinions, and that's it, you don't have to agree, just like I don't have to agree with yours. I have nothing against Key, he's done very well with the budget he's been given at the same time I'm not 100% sold that he'll be McLaren's winning ticket like some here are claiming.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 16:59
godlameroso wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 15:38

That's just BS.

Force India: 2009 pole in Spa.
Toro Rosso: 2015/2016 were great cars.
2009 First year of new regulations, where did the FI end up in the race? Or anywhere else that season? They were 9th in the constructors btw.

I disagree with you on this. The STR10 and STR11 of 2015 & 2016 respectively, we're very good cars. They fell behind Mclaren when Honda brought more power in 2016 as the season progressed, but check out how the performed at Hungary and Singapore, COTA. Those are chassis circuits, where their power deficit were negated.
That's fine, we can disagree. They were decent cars, mediocre is probably harsher sounding I admit. Let's not forget however, that there wasn't much aero development, and there was and is a lot of technology transfer between Red Bull and TR.

In any case you guys really seem to have the idea that I think this is a bad move, or that Key won't make a lick of difference. I'm merely stating that we should temper our expectations of what he can bring, he's done well with the budget and resources he's been given, however TR has a habit of starting well then hitting developmental dead ends. I hope that doesn't translate to McLaren when he starts working for them.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 18:12
Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 16:59
godlameroso wrote:

I disagree with you on this. The STR10 and STR11 of 2015 & 2016 respectively, we're very good cars. They fell behind Mclaren when Honda brought more power in 2016 as the season progressed, but check out how the performed at Hungary and Singapore, COTA. Those are chassis circuits, where their power deficit were negated.
That's fine, we can disagree. They were decent cars, mediocre is probably harsher sounding I admit. Let's not forget however, that there wasn't much aero development, and there was and is a lot of technology transfer between Red Bull and TR.

In any case you guys really seem to have the idea that I think this is a bad move, or that Key won't make a lick of difference. I'm merely stating that we should temper our expectations of what he can bring, he's done well with the budget and resources he's been given, however TR has a habit of starting well then hitting developmental dead ends. I hope that doesn't translate to McLaren when he starts working for them.
Fair enough, I've always felt they hit that dead end due to budget constraints and the need to switch focus on the following year's car. They've also had to switch from Renault to Ferrari to Renault and now Honda, that's a bit of a challenge on its own. He can't save them alone, it would be great if a Dan Fallows from Red Bull, or a senior aerodynamist from Ferrari etc could come on board as well. I still regard him as a very good signing, bringing a fresh pair of eyes. He's not the messiah, but he's not a very naughty boy either.... (any Monty python fans in the house???) :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McMika98
McMika98

Mclaren aint gonna get anywhere near the top 3 team till 2020. People are forgetting that this year is a one off in terms of budget, the Qataris have reluctantly backed the team with their cash and Zak was supposed to get sponsorship money not a wearable brand that no one knows of. Next year they will have for the first time in their history budget constraints and thats the chess move here. Key will give them a car to get to tip of midfield with the budget thats all. Dont think anyone is saying Key will now turn this team to top teir. Hell no. Just midfield top.

lio007

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 19:08
Tough talk from Marko

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... o-1064733/
I think this was not the smartest move from McLaren and could turn out to be pretty expensive. I mean the tweet seemed, from my point of view, pretty overhasty. It would have been better to wait, so I can unterstand why Marko is a bit angry.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

lio007 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 19:17
Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 19:08
Tough talk from Marko

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... o-1064733/
I think this was not the smartest move from McLaren and could turn out to be pretty expensive. I mean the tweet seemed, from my point of view, pretty overhasty. It would have been better to wait, so I can unterstand why Marko is a bit angry.
I agree, it's shocking that they would make such an announcement while still negotiating with Toro Rosso. It's a big blunder by them.

Macklaren
Macklaren

This is just Marko/RB up to their usual mischief. Cant think of any time anyone in the paddock has had straightforward dealings with them (think Dan Fallows/McLaren 2 years ago). this is also relatively standard procedure when a big talent moves on.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Macklaren wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 19:34
This is just Marko/RB up to their usual mischief. Cant think of any time anyone in the paddock has had straightforward dealings with them (think Dan Fallows/McLaren 2 years ago). this is also relatively standard procedure when a big talent moves on.
Doesn't bode well then, cause Dan Fallows is still with Red Bull...