2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

The chance for any result tommorow for Mclaren is aparently trecherous rain, or dry and superhot conditions which would eat off the tyres. And a lot of luck.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

godlameroso

proteus wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 18:34
The chance for any result tommorow for Mclaren is aparently trecherous rain, or dry and superhot conditions which would eat off the tyres. And a lot of luck.
Alonso is in a good position to score points, he just needs a good start and he can hold on to whatever place he gets.
Saishū kōnā

proteus

godlameroso wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 18:41
proteus wrote:
Alonso is in a good position to score points, he just needs a good start and he can hold on to whatever place he gets.
I dont think so. He will pretty much stay in the same position after the start. And from then on, gaining positions will be hard, especially since averybody will have fresh tyres. Sadly i didnt watch the quali today, but this was a missed oportunity as i understand. Tomorrow 9th or 10ts is max what Alonso can expect to achieve, which will mean Renault and Haas will be even further ahead, and STR will start closing in in the points tally.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

McG

proteus wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 19:01
godlameroso wrote:
proteus wrote:
I dont think so. He will pretty much stay in the same position after the start. And from then on, gaining positions will be hard, especially since averybody will have fresh tyres. Sadly i didnt watch the quali today, but this was a missed oportunity as i understand. Tomorrow 9th or 10ts is max what Alonso can expect to achieve, which will mean Renault and Haas will be even further ahead, and STR will start closing in in the points tally.
And Danny Ric and Hulk are behind him so that's 2 more places lost. Although the STR HONDA'S ahead have a good chance of blowing up or just being slow so that could be 2 places gained.

There's an outside chance of a point. Woo hoo.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

zoroastar

McG wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 20:24
proteus wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

And Danny Ric and Hulk are behind him so that's 2 more places lost. Although the STR HONDA'S ahead have a good chance of blowing up or just being slow so that could be 2 places gained.

how do you both know any of this? haha. how do you know who will even finish the race? how do you know which teams will struggle on their tires? why do you even watch the races if you can already see what is going to happen on sunday a day early? if you are so excited to see mclaren underperform, why are you even here?

diffuser

McG wrote:
proteus wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Over the years there haven't been alot of incidents at the beginning of the Hungry GP.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 20:58
McG wrote:
proteus wrote:

Over the years there haven't been alot of incidents at the beginning of the Hungry GP.
Well, last year Verstappen took out Ricciardo... you never know..
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Jackles-UK

It’s a long old run down to T1 where slipstreaming genuinely plays a part like in Barcelona & Monza. Don’t rule out some antics with 5-6 cars way out of position for better or worse. Still optimistic for a point or two if Alonso can stay out of trouble and keep the car from falling apart!

Stoffel must have been nervous watching the F2 race after qualifying - two McLaren academy drivers were the class of the field!

I’m a big fan of Sainz but I’m not sure pairing him with Alonso (who he openly admits to idolising) would be a good idea. Alonso would probably be to comfy in that instance. If Alonso does leave then a Sainz/Norris pairing could be exciting (assuming Vandoorne doesn’t improve and keep his seat).

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Jackles-UK wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 22:24
It’s a long old run down to T1 where slipstreaming genuinely plays a part like in Barcelona & Monza. Don’t rule out some antics with 5-6 cars way out of position for better or worse. Still optimistic for a point or two if Alonso can stay out of trouble and keep the car from falling apart!

Stoffel must have been nervous watching the F2 race after qualifying - two McLaren academy drivers were the class of the field!

I’m a big fan of Sainz but I’m not sure pairing him with Alonso (who he openly admits to idolising) would be a good idea. Alonso would probably be to comfy in that instance. If Alonso does leave then a Sainz/Norris pairing could be exciting (assuming Vandoorne doesn’t improve and keep his seat).
I don't think Carlos will hesitate going wheel to wheel with Fernando, they've had a few battles on track and he always races Fernando hard. He's not a rookie anymore.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

BrunoH
BrunoH

after watching Qualy, in wet conditions it looks like :
1- toro Rosso has got a very good Mechanical / chassis grip
and most likely not a car that can produce a lot of downforce ( hence the lack of drag and good top speeds )

on contrast it looks like Mclaren in terms of Mechanical grip are average. they are for sure lower than Toro Rosso.
they seem to be better in aero than i thought, even though at a cost of a lot of drag as they continue with one of the lowests speeds in the straights...
In fact i was hoping that they wold be easy P6 with both cars in top 10... it wold show that in terms of mechanical setup they wold be at the top and the problem wold be mostly aero..

as it stands it looks like its both an Aero problem, and a chassis problem... my conclusion is that this car is going to be very hard to pinpoint the problems, because its not only aero or only mechanical....
as such its much harder to make changes and check if that change really went better because on the next track conditions change and if can be hidden because you have poor grip from the chassis..... and vice-versa.

its much harder for sure for them to fix all the problems, even for next year.
i wold not be surprised if next year we see them going back with the rear suspension to something they knew it worked etc etc.... another full year lost thats for sure.

zoroastar

alonso hasnt had a lot of his usual amazing starts this year. maybe its down to their lack of rear grip. sure it doesnt help. but ill be surprised if theres no contact in the first corner. the two ferraris always seem a little desperate to pass, and the mercedes' havent had the greatest starts. i predict kimi into bottas into turn one. max will do anything he can to get up there too. hopefully alonso wont get clipped or run onto the sides like has happened too much so far. i dont know if hulk has pace in the races to get past on this track if he can stay safe through lap 1.

M840TR
M840TR

zoroastar wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 02:00
alonso hasnt had a lot of his usual amazing starts this year. maybe its down to their lack of rear grip. sure it doesnt help. but ill be surprised if theres no contact in the first corner. the two ferraris always seem a little desperate to pass, and the mercedes' havent had the greatest starts. i predict kimi into bottas into turn one. max will do anything he can to get up there too. hopefully alonso wont get clipped or run onto the sides like has happened too much so far. i dont know if hulk has pace in the races to get past on this track if he can stay safe through lap 1.
His launches are more or less same as everyone else even though the car has bad drivability. He's gained the most positions of anyone through out the races.

techman
techman

and most likely not a car that can produce a lot of downforce ( hence the lack of drag and good top speeds )
It's got to do with pu setting. I believe it was james key who saying unlike the renault engine, the honda engine can change its drivability and power delivery setting in the race. where as the renault as only one setting. no wonder redbull struggle in wets, poor drivebility according to max.
here below is honda tweet

Shout out to all our PU Engineers 🤜🤛 A busy qualifying for them, adapting and managing energy patterns to get the best performance on ever changing track conditions 👏 Bring on tomorrow! #HungarianGP 🇭🇺 #F1

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

techman wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 03:32
It's got to do with pu setting. I believe it was james key who saying unlike the renault engine, the honda engine can change its drivability and power delivery setting in the race. where as the renault as only one setting. no wonder redbull struggle in wets, poor drivebility according to max.
here below is honda tweet

Shout out to all our PU Engineers 🤜🤛 A busy qualifying for them, adapting and managing energy patterns to get the best performance on ever changing track conditions 👏 Bring on tomorrow! #HungarianGP 🇭🇺 #F1
Max blamed the car, not the PU.

techman
techman

Max blamed the car, not the PU.
max was complaining about traction. no grip. obvioulsy if you driveability isnt smooth it would not help traction. honda has more smooth delivery of power and they can change during changing condition. renault cant