2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Sky F1:

Vortex generators on Sidepod now Black. Do they think it will make the car go faster ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

McG

mclaren111 wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 11:59
Sky F1:

https://storify.com/services/proxy/2/N4 ... 658359.jpg

Vortex generators on Sidepod now Black. Do they think it will make the car go faster ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There's more truth in that than you may think ;)
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

BrunoH
BrunoH

they put new ones and did not bother to paint it because its testing.

diffuser

BrunoH wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 14:25
they put new ones and did not bother to paint it because its testing.
also running red flowvis.

McHonda
McHonda

mclaren111 wrote:
Sky F1:

What's the thing over the Kimoa part of the nose?

MtthsMlw

McHonda wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 18:04
mclaren111 wrote:
Sky F1:

What's the thing over the Kimoa part of the nose?
Aero rig mounting.

Big Tea

Just read this on Joe's blog. Sounds like another setback?

There is a lot of chat about James Key moving to McLaren. What is clear is that Toro Rosso is not happy and intends to push hard to get the most possible compensation. It cannot stop Key moving for more than six months but there does need to be a financial settlement for that to happen. As soon as the news came out, Matt Morris quit McLaren, as he is not a Key fan, the two having worked together unharmoniously at Sauber. While Toro Rosso has a replacement for Key in Jody Egginton, McLaren doesn't have a replacement for Morris and they need someone to design a 2019 car. Key will not be there to do it, nor will Morris and so the team will probably need to find a stop-gap chief designer to tide them over.

I think unless they 'luck into' the right person, next year is not going to start well either. Just hope they can pull something out of the bag with Key.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 23:24

There is a lot of chat about James Key moving to McLaren. What is clear is that Toro Rosso is not happy and intends to push hard to get the most possible compensation. It cannot stop Key moving for more than six months but there does need to be a financial settlement for that to happen. As soon as the news came out, Matt Morris quit McLaren, as he is not a Key fan, the two having worked together unharmoniously at Sauber. While Toro Rosso has a replacement for Key in Jody Egginton, McLaren doesn't have a replacement for Morris and they need someone to design a 2019 car. Key will not be there to do it, nor will Morris and so the team will probably need to find a stop-gap chief designer to tide them over.

I think unless they 'luck into' the right person, next year is not going to start well either. Just hope they can pull something out of the bag with Key.
I have no idea about this but Matt Morris's name has disappeared and reappeared more often than I can count from the McLaren Management team page. Pretty sure he was on his way out.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Big Tea wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 23:24

Why? Morris created a car that is worse than Toro Rosso, which has about half the staff and resources. You want him to lead again? I'm sure McLaren thought about it.

Raleigh
Raleigh

I would say this car was designed by committee more than designed by Morris. Plenty of clever little details but the overall picture is a mess and things don’t really work together.

diffuser

I don't know for certain but I think what your talking about is the outer shell of the car which is aero and would fall under PP. The packaging under the shell, that is headed up by Morris. Things like gearbox, cooling, suspension, weight distribution,etc.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 13:57
I don't know for certain but I think what your talking about is the outer shell of the car which is aero and would fall under PP. The packaging under the shell, that is headed up by Morris. Things like gearbox, cooling, suspension, weight distribution,etc.
Sounds like he has a big part to play in the flaws then. They've been consistently complaining about balance, a couple of gearbox failures.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:56
diffuser wrote:
Sounds like he has a big part to play in the flaws then. They've been consistently complaining about balance, a couple of gearbox failures.
What I have heard from ALo is that everything is good just the pace isn't there.

I'm not saying anything new here but there are alot of really cool things on the cars but where the cars are making alot of their gains these days are in the mid wing/Bardgeboard/sidepods area and McLaren is woefully behind there. We haven't seen those vortex generators on the top of a RBR sidepod since 2015.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 22:25
Ground Effect wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:56
diffuser wrote:
What I have heard from ALo is that everything is good just the pace isn't there.

I'm not saying anything new here but there are alot of really cool things on the cars but where the cars are making alot of their gains these days are in the mid wing/Bardgeboard/sidepods area and McLaren is woefully behind there. We haven't seen those vortex generators on the top of a RBR sidepod since 2015.
Even at the start of the season, James Allen reported that across the pitlane their rivals expressed admiration on what they had done with the car. He actually said that he expected them to be close to Red Bull based on feedback he received. Even Gary Anderson said there were hidden gems on the car after the launch. So their struggles have really surprised me. I've often wondered why their bargeboard areas seem so.... basic. I can't even recall the MCL32 having the vortex generators.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Norris about today's test: "This year’s car feels much better than last year’s, for sure, mainly because it’s got a bit more power, but it’s hard to say. Compared to last year, I’ve been doing a lot more testing rather trying to make myself look good by doing a fast lap-time."