Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
apexcontrol
apexcontrol

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

well ofcourse max can expect that his wishes are met, look mercedes and ferrari have a solid number one and two driver is just beter for the team,

and ofcourse sainz did pressure the redbull team, in many ways, i do not think max can blok a norris/le clerc/ o r mick schumacher

but i do think he can easy block sainz

PlatinumZealot

Sainz if he is wise, will accept the number 2 position contractually enforced from Verstappen's side.
RedBull actually prefers are driver likw Sainz to help Verstappen with car development where a young inexperienced driver like Gasly cannot but at the same time is willing to play the number 2 role.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 17:47
Sainz if he is wise, will accept the number 2 position contractually enforced from Verstappen's side.
RedBull actually prefers are driver likw Sainz to help Verstappen with car development where a young inexperienced driver like Gasly cannot but at the same time is willing to play the number 2 role.
It sort of fills in the blanks on your CV then though, doesn't it?
I understand a drive in a good team as a no2 is far better than no drive as a no1, but it sort of shows the world what you will accept.

Dilemma.

I would accept a support role, but I am not a F1 driver.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Edax wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 15:50
Godius wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 15:07
Don't see how Verstappen has the authority to block someone as a teammate for next year. This is something you generally only see with multiple world championship winners like Hamilton and Vettel.
I don’t think he has. I think his management team might object, but not because of Sainz junior.

Last year Sainz senior was found to spread damaging and false rumors in the media to advance his sons position at the cost of Verstappen, as well as publicly demanding a better position for his son. This backfired bigtime, resulting in Sainz jr’s departure to Renault.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 3bf292524b

It is a pity because he is a good driver. But the relation with his father is pretty toxic and not helping him at all.
And Jos has been a positive influence on Red Bull? :wtf:

iotar__

- So they decided to hype Sainz through some BS veto rumours :roll: and trusty Martin "Wehrlein is the only option for Mercedes" Brundle? They is either RB or Sainz's camp, or both. I don't know/care if they're planning to hire him, it's RB in the end. Good luck either way.

- Why not through examples of brilliant performances, overtakes, qualy laps, starts and making a difference on track? No, that's hard to find, let's not talk about his unremarkable season. Hey look, he's too dangerous for Jr! Are veto rumours true? Is Verstappen ready for sub Hulkenberg challenge :roll: ?

- Ugh they'll be now milking this nonsense forever.

rscsr

Edax wrote:
Godius wrote:
Don't see how Verstappen has the authority to block someone as a teammate for next year. This is something you generally only see with multiple world championship winners like Hamilton and Vettel.
I don’t think he has. I think his management team might object, but not because of Sainz junior.

Last year Sainz senior was found to spread damaging and false rumors in the media to advance his sons position at the cost of Verstappen, as well as publicly demanding a better position for his son. This backfired bigtime, resulting in Sainz jr’s departure to Renault.

It is a pity because he is a good driver. But the relation with his father is pretty toxic and not helping him at all.
That departure to Renault is everything he wanted to achieve. So how did it backfire?

Edax
Edax

kptaylor wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 18:51
Edax wrote:
Godius wrote:

And Jos has been a positive influence on Red Bull? :wtf:
No I don’t think so. That is why RB demanded that Jos would take a step back when starting at Red Bull. And to be fair to him he did. Just like Hamilton, Button and Rosberg he is staying in the background now.

Look these kids are multimillion businesses, at a certain point you have to let them go, and leave them in the hands of people who are better in representing their interest. And that is difficult for any father, especially if you are so emotionally invested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=22N3cS0h0 ... fullscreen

WaikeCU

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think Sainz next to Verstappen will be the best option for Red Bull as well. I don't think we will notice any difference with Ricciardo leaving the team, if Sainz replaces him. I just hope Red Bull will let them race eachother though. I don't think it will be wise to focus on one driver.

jz11
jz11

WaikeCU wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 09:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think Sainz next to Verstappen will be the best option for Red Bull as well. I don't think we will notice any difference with Ricciardo leaving the team, if Sainz replaces him. I just hope Red Bull will let them race eachother though. I don't think it will be wise to focus on one driver.
I see it a bit different, RB might think they have a car capable of challenging Merc and Ferrari (if Honda delivers, and it probably will), but it will not be as dominant as in the 2010-2013, they will not be able to afford 2nd driver taking points from the leader (which surely is VER at this point, even if they say the drivers are equal), so from strategic point it makes a lot of sense to take a stable though slightly slower #2 driver, than bring someone who will challenge their championship contender again

This was probably the main reason why Dan didn't re-sign, he would have no chance at the title in that arrangement, and even less if VER would finish ahead of him in the 2019 season in drivers standings, and if RB management is as ruthless as I think they are, they would sign Dan only for 2 years minimum, with no chance out, to cut his options (make him cheaper for them to rehire) in case they want to resign him later on, and as far as I understand, Dan wanted 1+1 year contract, in case a seat at Ferrari or Merc becomes available

edit: I can't understand why people associate Dans choice of leaving RB with Honda, I think they got more than enough info on that engine to draw all the necessary conclusions, IMHO it is highly unlikely they don't know how that engine would turn out in RB chassis at this point, so suggesting it was partly a reason why Dan left - the uncertainty of RB+Honda performance, just makes absolutely no sense to me

johnny vee

Does anybody know if Magnussen is under contract for 2019? Also Sainz?
Sainz is a Redbull driver right, on loan to Renault, so my opinion is that Sainz will probably get the Redbull seat.

But we never know for sure, and this F1 still has the ability to surprise.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

mclaren111

Planet F1:

Max Verstappen is rumoured to be against seeing his former Toro Rosso team mate Carlos Sainz fill Red Bull Racing’s second seat in 2019.
However, Verstappen and Sainz have history. They suffered a difficult relationship in their final few months together at Toro Rosso, before the Dutchman was promoted to the senior team in May 2016.

According to Spanish daily Marca, the Verstappen camp is very much against the idea of reuniting the Dutchman and current Renault man.
I don't think it's going to happen.

TwanV
TwanV

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 10:11
Planet F1:

Max Verstappen is rumoured to be against seeing his former Toro Rosso team mate Carlos Sainz fill Red Bull Racing’s second seat in 2019.
However, Verstappen and Sainz have history. They suffered a difficult relationship in their final few months together at Toro Rosso, before the Dutchman was promoted to the senior team in May 2016.

According to Spanish daily Marca, the Verstappen camp is very much against the idea of reuniting the Dutchman and current Renault man.
Ugh.. here we go again with the Spanish media.. they're really hurting SAI's chances with this stuff. Technically Sainz would be the best option however with SAI being all about image and VES being the total opposite the pair doesn't really fit as we've seen before. My money would be on... Gasly, with Norris for the STR seat.

Regarding RIC... Although understandable after so many years I'm afraid he's played it very badly with RB. It's not really weird that RB didn't offer RIC the same contract as VES after openly flirting with both Ferrari and Mercedes. Finally he went for the money, mistake in my book to go to Renault. But then again I would have a hard time saying no to 35 MMUSD too.

johnny vee

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 10:11
Planet F1:

Thank you for your post.
If not Sainz, then maybe Magnussen? I dont think Mr "suck my balls" will like to be 2nd driver.
Ocon is merc driver.....depends on what happens at Force India
Perez maybe....
Leclerc also a maybe...if Ferrari signs Rai for another year
Mark Webber...????

It might be better to look at who will not stand a chance:
Stroll
Sirotkin
Erricson
Grosjean
Alonso
Vandoorn
Hartley
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

Phil

The Verstappen camp can throw a tantrum in the media all they want, RedBull will put whoever they want into that 2nd seat. I'd trust Helmut Marko & Co. to be possibly the most ruthless where driver contracts are concerned. And what does the Verstappen camp have as a bargaining chip anyway? No other relevant seats are available and the contract is signed anyway.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FrukostScones

Phil wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:27
The Verstappen camp can throw a tantrum in the media all they want, RedBull will put whoever they want into that 2nd seat. I'd trust Helmut Marko & Co. to be possibly the most ruthless where driver contracts are concerned. And what does the Verstappen camp have as a bargaining chip anyway? No other relevant seats are available and the contract is signed anyway.
No way SAI is gonna get the seat.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.