[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

LVDH wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:31
Hi guys,
I read the critisism and suggestions. I agree very much have had pretty much all of these ideas. The problem is more my professional and private workload. MVRC is a lot of work, which makes it even harder. I am working on making this better all the time. Some stuff happens behind the scenes. I am for example working on automatic rule checking. This will remove the largest chunk of work and help a lot. One thing will very soon turn into reality. The compliance checks will be made public. This will probably happen this week.
Another thing is turning into reality right now. As I said, that bad weather made it possible to have some flow visualizations:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... rfaces.gif
Better quality can be found here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/interestin ... mans-2018/

For whoever is interested: These are actually Lambda2 iso surfaces at Lambda2=35000. If you like, I can add these to the automatic post-processing. I can also release images that show much more of the cars. Variante has pretty interesting vortices along his car.
Thanks! I like this kind of post processing. Plase add it to the automated post processing :)

Feel free to publish a complete view of my car, not only the rear wing.

machin

From a learning perspective, for a beginner it is probably (in my case) more interesting to see the difference between for example a high and low nose cone than optimizing my wing with some additional small flaps
That’s a good point.... also I guess it is nicer to say the design is completely “yours”....

(The counter argument, as I’m sure the championship front runners will testify, is that a developed car will always beat an underdeveloped car, and initial “baseline” CFD results using different concepts (high nose vs. Low nose) might not give a very good indication of the final potential of a particular design concept...)

I like your idea of having a catalogue of interchangeable parts so that a newbie can build up a “kitcar” and also design/modify parts themselves... as you say; an f1 style car (next season) may be more suited to this approach...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

roon
roon

LVDH wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:31
Hi guys,
I read the critisism and suggestions. I agree very much have had pretty much all of these ideas. The problem is more my professional and private workload. MVRC is a lot of work, which makes it even harder. I am working on making this better all the time. Some stuff happens behind the scenes. I am for example working on automatic rule checking. This will remove the largest chunk of work and help a lot. One thing will very soon turn into reality. The compliance checks will be made public. This will probably happen this week.
Another thing is turning into reality right now. As I said, that bad weather made it possible to have some flow visualizations:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... rfaces.gif
Better quality can be found here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/interestin ... mans-2018/

For whoever is interested: These are actually Lambda2 iso surfaces at Lambda2=35000. If you like, I can add these to the automatic post-processing. I can also release images that show much more of the cars. Variante has pretty interesting vortices along his car.
Is spanwise vorticity on the topside of the wings desireable? The influence of Variante's exhaust is somewhat apparent.

LVDH

The iso surface on the wing and other surfaces is mostly for the mathematical reason that the velocity on the surface is zero and further away much higher. Here is an image of an isolated wing with a similar visualization:

variante

roon wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 02:26
Is spanwise vorticity on the topside of the wings desireable? The influence of Variante's exhaust is somewhat apparent.
It is not, even though it's not too bad. Luckily, I'm getting just a little bit where the exhaust blows. I tried to downwash the exhaust by a few degrees, but other problems arise.

RicME85

machin wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 17:34
From a learning perspective, for a beginner it is probably (in my case) more interesting to see the difference between for example a high and low nose cone than optimizing my wing with some additional small flaps
That’s a good point.... also I guess it is nicer to say the design is completely “yours”....

(The counter argument, as I’m sure the championship front runners will testify, is that a developed car will always beat an underdeveloped car, and initial “baseline” CFD results using different concepts (high nose vs. Low nose) might not give a very good indication of the final potential of a particular design concept...)

I like your idea of having a catalogue of interchangeable parts so that a newbie can build up a “kitcar” and also design/modify parts themselves... as you say; an f1 style car (next season) may be more suited to this approach...
The catalogue of interchangeable parts is what I have suggested each year for about 3 years :D
Something like how Automation Tycoon works would be brilliant - https://youtu.be/sqpwthaRDz4?t=683

Last years CAESES online tool was a fantastic addition to MVRC, it made getting involved so easy, I was able to download files on my phone and send them off to submission when I was unable to use my PC just so I could run a legal car for a points finish.

Every year I struggle more and more with enthusiasm and inspiration, this year has been the worst. This is not the competitions fault, its my own issues with health effecting me but when it comes to MVRC, the very short lead time to the first race this year meant that I couldnt deal with my own issues in plenty of time and still produce something.

As for CAD, does anyone have any recommendations for tutorials or lessons plans online (free) for Solidworks/Fusion 360/FreeCAD/whatever? I have tried teaching myself to use so many different software packages and always fall back on Sketchup for its easy of use. When I have used YouTube tutorials for say Solidworks I always struggle with going from creating a box with an extrusion and the subsequent methods of modelling to using the things being shown in videos for the purpose of car design with flowing lines and all that. There are millions of videos on using Solidworks etc for 3D models of cars but 99% of them are using blueprints so again, transferring what you see into designing a bespoke car from ideas in your head isnt easy...or at least it isnt for me.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:03
machin wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 17:34

The catalogue of interchangeable parts is what I have suggested each year for about 3 years :D
Something like how Automation Tycoon works would be brilliant - https://youtu.be/sqpwthaRDz4?t=683

Last years CAESES online tool was a fantastic addition to MVRC, it made getting involved so easy, I was able to download files on my phone and send them off to submission when I was unable to use my PC just so I could run a legal car for a points finish.

Every year I struggle more and more with enthusiasm and inspiration, this year has been the worst. This is not the competitions fault, its my own issues with health effecting me but when it comes to MVRC, the very short lead time to the first race this year meant that I couldnt deal with my own issues in plenty of time and still produce something.

As for CAD, does anyone have any recommendations for tutorials or lessons plans online (free) for Solidworks/Fusion 360/FreeCAD/whatever? I have tried teaching myself to use so many different software packages and always fall back on Sketchup for its easy of use. When I have used YouTube tutorials for say Solidworks I always struggle with going from creating a box with an extrusion and the subsequent methods of modelling to using the things being shown in videos for the purpose of car design with flowing lines and all that. There are millions of videos on using Solidworks etc for 3D models of cars but 99% of them are using blueprints so again, transferring what you see into designing a bespoke car from ideas in your head isnt easy...or at least it isnt for me.
Hi, if you use SWX2018 I can send you the parametric (native) model of the intro-car. I would prefer not to share the native file, because it is substantially the "official" car with changed parameters to make ti simpler, but if the other partecipants and LDVH agree, considering your health issues, I could send you the link to download it. I think that to study how I modeled the MVRC car would be more useful and less boring than a video tutorial.

Team_Bart

I've 2 questions about the wheel fenders. First, what is the minimal allowed distance between tyre and fender? Second, when using a rake angle, I thought the idea was to design the car within the normal (no rake) limits and then turn on rake in MantiumFlow, however, this gives some problems when the car is rotated and the wheels aren't.

CAEdevice

Team_Bart wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:20
I've 2 questions about the wheel fenders. First, what is the minimal allowed distance between tyre and fender? Second, when using a rake angle, I thought the idea was to design the car within the normal (no rake) limits and then turn on rake in MantiumFlow, however, this gives some problems when the car is rotated and the wheels aren't.
Simply the fender has to be inlcuded into the "carbody" volume, that you can find in the template.

Ft5fTL

RicME85 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:03
Autodesk has some good tutorials for Fusion 360. I started with this one : https://academy.autodesk.com/course/129 ... 90-minutes
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

RicME85

Thanks Matteo for the offer but I will say no for the time being, I will see if I can get my head around the lessons Ft5fTL has posted and will go from there.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 17:03
Thanks Matteo for the offer but I will say no for the time being, I will see if I can get my head around the lessons Ft5fTL has posted and will go from there.
ok, feel free to contact me in case you need help with SWX.

Team_Bart

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:23
Simply the fender has to be inlcuded into the "carbody" volume, that you can find in the template.
So it is allowed to let it "touch" the wheel for example?

CAEdevice

Team_Bart wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 17:51
CAEdevice wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:23
So it is allowed to let it "touch" the wheel for example?
Maybe considering the rake angle (a big rake angle): if I rember correctly, there is still a issue with the center of rotation.

With zero rake, the car body template should make impossible for the wheel to touch the car.

CAEdevice

Hi, we talked about it here in the forum, but it was too late to introduce any change before the first race.

What do you think about this fix to the "rear step" rule?