[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

What do you think about this fix to the "rear step" rule?
Other than aesthetics, is there a particular modelling problem with the step?

I only ask because in-season rule changes probably mess people up a bit...?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Yes, aesthetics is prevailing, but it also add a bit more consistency in that area and diffuser design.

About in-season changes: I agree with you, but from the pictures, most cars (including mine as well) are at a very early stage of development.

schwepes

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:55
About in-season changes: I agree with you, but from the pictures, most cars (including mine as well) are at a very early stage of development.
Just 3 years ;)

CAEdevice

schwepes wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 19:20
CAEdevice wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:55
Just 3 years ;)
Sorry, I was talking about the new rulebook (near wheels volume: most car did not even consider the change... not sure they are fully legal...)

schwepes

I know, I know.. just joking ;). Now I know what you meant with this rear wheel volume. I didn't noticed it because I use extracted edge of the bodywork, so it is automaticaly kept within limits. This also means I'm working on 2018 car ;).

CAEdevice

No problem, if anyone does not agree we can go on with the step or change it after the second race... the big boss is LDVH, I am only a sponsor.

BTW: the prize, I confirm, will be related to cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin). There will be only one prize (no introclass) and the winner will be guided in order to open and keep a safe wallet (he will receive 1h of consultancy and assistence by webconference).

Obviously CAE device is excluded from the possible winner list.

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:32
Hi, we talked about it here in the forum, but it was too late to introduce any change before the first race.

What do you think about this fix to the "rear step" rule?

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... r_LMP1.jpg
I'm not against it, but I never liked that part on real LMP and I wouldn't like to see it on our cars. Also, it might mess up some airflows... the diffuser is a delicate area.
I find it more annoying that my gearbox cover (under the diffuser) needs to be truncated due to the stepped bodywork.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 00:42
I find it more annoying that my gearbox cover (under the diffuser) needs to be truncated due to the stepped bodywork.
Are you sure you need it to be so low? My gearbox cover is all above the "cut"

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 09:46
variante wrote:
Your diffuser is quite high at the centre... It also doesn't have a pronounced double inflection, which helps by that point of view.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 12:20
CAEdevice wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 09:46
variante wrote:
Your diffuser is quite high at the centre... It also doesn't have a pronounced double inflection, which helps by that point of view.
Ok, but why does your gearbox cover is so low? It is inside the diffuser? Wouldn't be better to have it above the diffuser if the diffuser is so low?

Anyway: it happens because the cut that creates the step passes through the whole car. In real lmp1 it only affects the volume behind the rear wheels.
In my opinion it would be a better solution (take my scheme and just ignore the additional solids behind the wheels). Do you agree?

LVDH

Hi guys,
so Richard and I have completed the compliance checks. Please keep in mind that this is the first time we both did it. There is obviously a chance that we overlooked some violations. So for the next race you should all check your cars against the rules. Just because something passed this time does not make it legal. There was a lot of back and forth about the CAEdevice rear wing. Figuring out if it violated the rules or not was pretty hard. It seems though that the only issue were the end plates which are a bit too sculpted and received a warning. The full results can be found here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... mans-2018/
You can click through the slide show. Three teams have received penalties. This is a bit much but two of the teams were newcomers and getting everything right the first time is pretty difficult.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 18:12
Hi guys,
so Richard and I have completed the compliance checks. Please keep in mind that this is the first time we both did it. There is obviously a chance that we overlooked some violations. So for the next race you should all check your cars against the rules. Just because something passed this time does not make it legal. There was a lot of back and forth about the CAEdevice rear wing. Figuring out if it violated the rules or not was pretty hard. It seems though that the only issue were the end plates which are a bit too sculpted and received a warning. The full results can be found here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... mans-2018/
You can click through the slide show. Three teams have received penalties. This is a bit much but two of the teams were newcomers and getting everything right the first time is pretty difficult.
Thank you very much! I definetly like the idea to show to rulecheck!

As for the reports, my lawyers will answer about it :D :D :D

CAEdevice

Here the answer of the legal team:

1) The wing has not "endplates", but only "wing supports"
2) Even if you (improperly) consider the support as an endplate, the "thickness" is always much less than 25mm (but compliant with the rule about the 10mm thicnkess of the wings, beacuse there is continuity with the wing: where does the wing ends?)

What should I do for the next race? I can go on with this rear wing? The word "thickness" should be replaced with "section dimensions"?

Ft5fTL

Thats odd. On Fusion the parts are in the volume.

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

MadMatt
MadMatt

Once again I won't have time to participate, but I will follow the competition. What I hope is that us (the public) we get to see your cars more! By that I mean images. Either 3D modelling pictures, or CFD.

Regarding the "CFD journalist", I am tempted to send my application! This is something I would have time for. :)