Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
MtthsMlw

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Just noticed that Kimi didn't get a new (presumably spec 3) MGU-H even though he could take it like Vettel did without a penalty. Could this mean that the spec 3 MGU-H isn't compatible with the spec 2 TC which he got in Canada? And does this indicate a bigger development of the TC and MGU-H?

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Any developments differences in power unit components there might be and that includes the mileage differences covered between the FERRARI number 7 and 5 cars power units did not translate into any noticeable differences in lap times on track.

MtthsMlw

New fuel worth "over 20 percent" of Ferrari engine gains Link
Shell has brought a new fuel to the Belgian Grand Prix that has been developed in tandem with Ferrari’s latest V6 and maintains its contribution of “over 20 percent” towards gains.

“Over the past three seasons, through our fuel and lubricants development work, we’ve contributed to over 20 percent of Ferrari’s power unit gain in performance.

“You always expect to make big gains at the start and then for development progress to taper off. We’ve not found the taper yet.

“That’s enabling us to make significant performance contributions to Ferrari, in that ‘over 20 per cent’ bracket.

“It surprised us a few years ago that the fuel could make so much difference to the new V6 engine but we’ve been able to continue that.”

It is thought Shell introduced a new fuel to partner Ferrari’s first engine upgrade in Canada, which helped trigger a significant in-season performance boost.

The latest fuel continues experimentation with different ingredients, such as additives to counter engine knocking, a phenomenon in the ignition phase that reduces engine performance.

That enables it to push the spark timing of the engine and extract more performance, without sacrificing the calorific value of the fuel too much.

Shell’s massive F1 investment involves more than 50 scientists and engineers that amass more than 21,000 hours of work a year between them.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The octane number of formula one fuel is not limited by the rules.

godlameroso

saviour stivala wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 14:38
The octane number of formula one fuel is not limited by the rules.
It is limited to a lower bound, but not an upper bound.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

It goes to show how important fuel kinetics and modeling has become.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

It is all marketing! Any Doofus can see that with new engine upgrades the combustion parameters will shift and thus the optimum fuel blend will shift to captalize on that. They haven't changed the fuel calorific value they just made the fuel more knock resistant without reducing it too much. Probably utilizing quantum computing calculations to find the best mixture of ingredients.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 01:14
It is all marketing! Any Doofus can see that with new engine upgrades the combustion parameters will shift and thus the optimum fuel blend will shift to captalize on that. They haven't changed the fuel calorific value they just made the fuel more knock resistant without reducing it too much. Probably utilizing quantum computing calculations to find the best mixture of ingredients.
What's that?

roon
roon

Technobabble. "Any Doofus" can do it.

PlatinumZealot

ivanlesk wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 08:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
What's that?
Quantum computers are extremely good at solving for multiple permutations/states at the same time to the one solution. It is the counterpart to binary computing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:22
ivanlesk wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
What's that?
Quantum computers are extremely good at solving for multiple permutations/states at the same time to the one solution. It is the counterpart to binary computing.
(i know what they are)

And they have functional QC?
Do you have some source or link maybe? This topic interest me alot.

Mr.G

ivanlesk wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:

What's that?
(i know what they are)

Many big firms introduced QCs... I think some of them are at 128qbits...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

PlatinumZealot

ivanlesk wrote:

(i know what they are)

A few working ones are out there with still a few errors (disturbance). But with their deep pockets I can see Shell shelling out the cash to buy calculation time to solve for ingredient combinations... Not sure if they are that advanced in quantum software yet to be honest but F1 is the most advanced sport in the world so I don't rule it out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:35
ivanlesk wrote:

(i know what they are)

A few working ones are out there with still a few errors (disturbance). But with their deep pockets I can see Shell shelling out the cash to buy calculation time to solve for ingredient combinations... Not sure if they are that advanced in quantum software yet to be honest but F1 is the most advanced sport in the world so I don't rule it out.
Hmm, that is why I asked. Haven't heard that someone made functional QC that could solve this kind of problems..

Zynerji

Mr.G wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:26
ivanlesk wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

(i know what they are)

Many big firms introduced QCs... I think some of them are at 128qbits...
I've read before that the first 128qb QC will be more powerful than all CPUs ever produced, combined.

I think the largest I've read about is 60ish...