Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 10:20
They have a larger number of thinner spokes and made the parts of those spokes nearest the point of contact with the hot hub thinner (by adding a hole in it). That all points to them trying to prevent heat getting to the tyre. If you wanted to get the rim hot, you wouldn't make the connections to the rim thinner, would you?
The new rims seem to have more surface area to take away heat. The change probably brings more consistent tire temperatures with them.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Flanker27
Flanker27

TV images showed how flexible the rear wing is compared to all the others team.
Look mercedes on Spa chicane curbs, the whole rear wing shakes

dans79

Mercedes needs to figure something out so they can regain the power advantage.
201 105 104 9 9 7

GPR-A duplicate2

dans79 wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 16:06
I don't think that is a possibility as the last spec engine is out for the year. May be for next year, there is a definite possibility, when they would have clearly understood the Ferrari trick (I said this earlier too). It's their extra down force levels today that sort of let them down, which played a critical role yesterday. I don't think they would run the same wing in Monza.

It's about the chassis development that can play a role for the rest of the year.

Big Tea

GPR-A wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 17:08
dans79 wrote:
I don't think that is a possibility as the last spec engine is out for the year. May be for next year, there is a definite possibility, when they would have clearly understood the Ferrari trick (I said this earlier too). It's their extra down force levels today that sort of let them down, which played a critical role yesterday. I don't think they would run the same wing in Monza.

It's about the chassis development that can play a role for the rest of the year.
It is the decision if they squeeze more out of the motor or make sure it lasts until the end of the year now.
I would not have to make the call
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon
roon

dans79 wrote:
*this season really ought to be more boring, imo*

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
Traction problems too. Time for high rake?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 17:41
dans79 wrote:
*this season really ought to be more boring, imo*
You're boring with your attempts to suggest everyone with a contrary opinion to yours is a fan of a driver/team that is not your favourite. In short - troll. Go away.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 21:56
dans79 wrote:
Traction problems too. Time for high rake?
Yeah, they'll have working by the next race... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Flanker27
Flanker27

GPR-A wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 17:08
dans79 wrote:

The only trick nowadays is mercedes rear wing flexibility.
Or maybe what you call "trick" is the fact that this year mercedes cannot burns tons of oil? Well, that was a real trick, but was made in Brixworth...

jh199

What would a flexible rear wing accomplish exactly? Wouldnt it just disrupt the flow on the underside of the wing exactly when they need it most?

Heres a good video about it btw https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 2216473605

thisisatest
thisisatest

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 10:20
They have a larger number of thinner spokes and made the parts of those spokes nearest the point of contact with the hot hub thinner (by adding a hole in it). That all points to them trying to prevent heat getting to the tyre. If you wanted to get the rim hot, you wouldn't make the connections to the rim thinner, would you?
My guess is that the thinner spars transfer heat from the hub area to the rim area more gradually. Smaller temperature spikes. Curious how the rim is shaped inside the tire...

JesperA
JesperA

Does the rear wing really wobble like that on a regular basis and consistently? It may just be the resonance frequency from hitting the curb or any other way of inducing an oscillation matching its natural frequency. Bits and pieces have vibrated/wobbled from time to time during F1 entire history, almost never by design though, just from a bunch of circumstances resulting in a part hitting its internal resonance frequency. Flutter is also fairly common in any object passing through a fluid (most commonly water and air)...So, if it does not wobble like that on a regular basis it's most likely not by design or any malicious implementation by Mercedes.

Big Tea

Who knows, they may have found a problem Mercedes was looking for but could not find.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

I know that this is a very simplistic drawing without proper labels for the forces and it ignores the car squatting in corners and some other forces...but

bottom:
Let's assume the car is cornering (to the right) with a very stiff wing, the downforce acts, well, downwards, the load on the tyres isn't equal since it's transferred to the outside tyre (left rear) so you're not utilizing the inside tyre as much as you could.

top:
With a wing which pivots you'd partially counter the car's squatting and the downforce would slightly counteract the uneven load distribution meaning more grip.

Whether that wing is tilting enough to have any positive effect in fast corners which the uncontrolled wobbling wouldn't nullify in slow corners is another thing to consider