Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

There are no functional quantum computers yet. There is functional quantum entanglement which is useful for things like private communication channels and cryptography, but basically useless for calculations - the name might be causing the confusion here.

There are several experimental quantum computers (almost all driven by military research), however none has been able to beat a classical computer so far.

Furthermore, quantum computing will generally have an edge in probabilistic and multithreaded calculations, not in everything across the board.

Zynerji

GrandAxe wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:47
There are no functional quantum computers yet. There is functional quantum entanglement which is useful to cryptography, but basically useless for calculations - the name might be causing the confusion here.

There are several experimental quantum computers (almost all driven by military research), however none has been able to beat a classical computer so far.

Furthermore, quantum computing will generally have an edge in probabilistic and multithreaded calculations, not in everything across the board.
Then I come across this:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9946339862

D-Wave demonstrates first large-scale quantum simulation of topological state of matter....

(D-Wave Systems)

D-Wave Systems today published a milestone study demonstrating a topological phase transition using its 2048-qubit annealing quantum computer. This complex quantum simulation of materials is a major step toward reducing the need for time-consuming and expensive physical research and development.

The paper, entitled "Observation of topological phenomena in a programmable lattice of 1,800 qubits", was published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature. This work marks an important advancement in the field and demonstrates again that the fully programmable D-Wave quantum computer can be used as an accurate simulator of quantum systems at a large scale. The methods used in this work could have broad implications in the development of novel materials, realizing Richard Feynman's original vision of a quantum simulator. This new research comes on the heels of D-Wave's recent Sciencepaper demonstrating a different type of phase transition in a quantum spin-glass simulation. The two papers together signify the flexibility and versatility of the D-Wave quantum computer in quantum simulation of materials, in addition to other tasks such as optimization and machine learning.

In the early 1970s, theoretical physicists Vadim Berezinskii, J. Michael Kosterlitz and David Thouless predicted a new state of matter characterized by nontrivial topological properties. The work was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2016. D-Wave researchers demonstrated this phenomenon by programming the D-Wave 2000Q system to form a two-dimensional frustrated lattice of artificial spins. The observed topological properties in the simulated system cannot exist without quantum effects and closely agree with theoretical predictions.

"This paper represents a breakthrough in the simulation of physical systems which are otherwise essentially impossible," said 2016 Nobel laureate Dr. J. Michael Kosterlitz. "The test reproduces most of the expected results, which is a remarkable achievement. This gives hope that future quantum simulators will be able to explore more complex and poorly understood systems so that one can trust the simulation results in quantitative detail as a model of a physical system. I look forward to seeing future applications of this simulation method."

"The work described in the Nature paper represents a landmark in the field of quantum computation: for the first time, a theoretically predicted state of matter was realized in quantum simulation before being demonstrated in a real magnetic material," said Dr. Mohammad Amin, chief scientist at D-Wave. "This is a significant step toward reaching the goal of quantum simulation, enabling the study of material properties before making them in the lab, a process that today can be very costly and time consuming."

Journal reference: Nature Science

Provided by: D-Wave Systems

roon
roon

GrandAxe wrote:
There are no functional quantum computers yet. There is functional quantum entanglement which is useful for things like private communication channels and cryptography, but basically useless for calculations - the name might be causing the confusion here.

This is how I've understood it. There is obvious military/intel value for code cracking. Now, which intelligence enterprises are behind cryptocurrencies? 8)

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Zynerji wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:48
GrandAxe wrote:
There are no functional quantum computers yet. There is functional quantum entanglement which is useful to cryptography, but basically useless for calculations - the name might be causing the confusion here.

Then I come across this:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9946339862

D-Wave demonstrates first large-scale quantum simulation of topological state of matter....

(D-Wave Systems)

D-Wave Systems today published a milestone study demonstrating a topological phase transition using its 2048-qubit annealing quantum computer. This complex quantum simulation of materials is a major step toward reducing the need for time-consuming and expensive physical research and development.

The paper, entitled "Observation of topological phenomena in a programmable lattice of 1,800 qubits", was published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature. This work marks an important advancement in the field and demonstrates again that the fully programmable D-Wave quantum computer can be used as an accurate simulator of quantum systems at a large scale. The methods used in this work could have broad implications in the development of novel materials, realizing Richard Feynman's original vision of a quantum simulator. This new research comes on the heels of D-Wave's recent Sciencepaper demonstrating a different type of phase transition in a quantum spin-glass simulation. The two papers together signify the flexibility and versatility of the D-Wave quantum computer in quantum simulation of materials, in addition to other tasks such as optimization and machine learning.

In the early 1970s, theoretical physicists Vadim Berezinskii, J. Michael Kosterlitz and David Thouless predicted a new state of matter characterized by nontrivial topological properties. The work was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2016. D-Wave researchers demonstrated this phenomenon by programming the D-Wave 2000Q system to form a two-dimensional frustrated lattice of artificial spins. The observed topological properties in the simulated system cannot exist without quantum effects and closely agree with theoretical predictions.

"This paper represents a breakthrough in the simulation of physical systems which are otherwise essentially impossible," said 2016 Nobel laureate Dr. J. Michael Kosterlitz. "The test reproduces most of the expected results, which is a remarkable achievement. This gives hope that future quantum simulators will be able to explore more complex and poorly understood systems so that one can trust the simulation results in quantitative detail as a model of a physical system. I look forward to seeing future applications of this simulation method."

"The work described in the Nature paper represents a landmark in the field of quantum computation: for the first time, a theoretically predicted state of matter was realized in quantum simulation before being demonstrated in a real magnetic material," said Dr. Mohammad Amin, chief scientist at D-Wave. "This is a significant step toward reaching the goal of quantum simulation, enabling the study of material properties before making them in the lab, a process that today can be very costly and time consuming."

Journal reference: Nature Science

Provided by: D-Wave Systems
They have a $10 million quantum computer, but it was matched for speed by researchers using a classical computer as far back as 2013 (at least). Here's the paper that reveals the research info:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.4595.pdf

Its still very much experimental and impractical.

Zynerji

I get ya, but that 5 year old paper is talking 100qb, not 2048qb in comparison...

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:53
GrandAxe wrote:

This is how I've understood it. There is obvious military/intel value for code cracking. Now, which intelligence enterprises are behind cryptocurrencies? 8)
Yep, quantum computing is certainly not ready for F1 yet. The current direction and cost mean that it would become a military / intelligence tool long before it finds use in F1 (except someone creates an open source version).

Now, about cryptocurrencies :D ... All advanced countries are pushing cryptocurrencies, except the US which is shooting itself in the foot with restrictive legislation. Concerning crypto in general, China has demonstrated quantum entanglement between a satellite and stations in both China and European research centers - there is now talk of a new, uncrackable internet; no doubt cryptocurrencies will play a part in that.

Right now, there are more possibilities for cryptocurrencies in F1 than quantum computers, buts that another topic entirely.

roon
roon

GrandAxe wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:28
Right now, there are more possibilities for cryptocurrencies in F1 than quantum computers, buts that another topic entirely.
Yes. It's how you spend $300 MM within a (proposed) $100 MM budget cap.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Zynerji wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:22
I get ya, but that 5 year old paper is talking 100qb, not 2048qb in comparison...
That's sort of how much multithreading it can do, not raw calculations per second.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:31
GrandAxe wrote:
Damn! You just uncovered the fattest ever loophole there!

PlatinumZealot

GrandAxe wrote:
roon wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

Yep, quantum computing is certainly not ready for F1 yet. The current direction and cost mean that it would become a military / intelligence tool long before it finds use in F1 (except someone creates an open source version).

Now, about cryptocurrencies :D ... All advanced countries are pushing cryptocurrencies, except the US which is shooting itself in the foot with restrictive legislation. Concerning crypto in general, China has demonstrated quantum entanglement between a satellite and stations in both China and European research centers - there is now talk of a new, uncrackable internet; no doubt cryptocurrencies will play a part in that.

Crypto is a scam as far I see it. I have lost so much money in it. Only the Whales are the winners in the end.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

roon
roon

GrandAxe wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:35
roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:31
GrandAxe wrote:
Damn! You just uncovered the fattest ever loophole there!
Well, it's all plain to see. I see no special insight on my part. The fact that every tax collecting agency the world over hasn't been flipping out for the past two years is a bit beyond me, though. Either there is a deeper social experiment going on, or the tax agencies are populated with too many dim bureaucrats.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

@roon. Its more like everyone is trying to see where things go. Its hard to contain open source.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:39
GrandAxe wrote:
roon wrote:

Crypto is a scam as far I see it. I have lost so much money in it. Only the Whales are the winners in the end.
No its not, its the future. Take out the speculation and you have a gem that offers all sorts of possibilities (both straightforward and sideways); take roons suggestion for an F1 budget as an example.

DVB

Just be happy u got in crypto. Buy high, sell low right? 😅 just hodl for 5 years and u will be fine.

Just think about all the FUD of Ferrari Its engine
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

subcritical71

I was thinking how the Ferrari seem to be able to either deploy longer, or with more power than the others. Henry has shown that the ES <> MGU-H <> MGU-K (Honda extra harvest method) would only give you 1/2 of the MGU-H output due to the switching between harvest-deploy. Would there be an advantage of having a dual core MGU-H? Meaning one core could motor and the other send energy to the MGU-K. It would add weight, maybe you don’t get the entire 120kW, but more would always be better. What gets me is the customer teams are not showing that same acceleration, so it may be something else on the car.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Each of the FERRARI’s permitted six combustions are so powerful that they are pushing people into digging deep into their imaginative theorizing, even quantum computers has been touched upon, it is all a waste of time as the FERRARI formula is very simple and as old as the hybrid power unit itself. ES > MGU-K/MGU-H + ICE CUMBUSTION.
“I did everything I could, he drove past me like I wasn’t there on the straight”.
The latest reads like “they have a bag of tricks”.