Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

RZS10 wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 15:10
I know that this is a very simplistic drawing without proper labels for the forces and it ignores the car squatting in corners and some other forces...but

bottom:
Let's assume the car is cornering (to the right) with a very stiff wing, the downforce acts, well, downwards, the load on the tyres isn't equal since it's transferred to the outside tyre (left rear) so you're not utilizing the inside tyre as much as you could.

top:
With a wing which pivots you'd partially counter the car's squatting and the downforce would slightly counteract the uneven load distribution meaning more grip.

https://i.imgur.com/WAwO3Ii.png

Whether that wing is tilting enough to have any positive effect in fast corners which the uncontrolled wobbling wouldn't nullify in slow corners is another thing to consider
Its a wobble, no specific tilt or bend - I really thought it was leaning back to reduce drag, but this wobble probably hurts Merc more than helps them

RZS10

I know, it's just an assumption that if it can wobble that far at low speed it might lean to the outside at higher speeds

DVB

Any guesses/news about the new aerodynamic package for Mercedes at Monza?
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

Sierra117

RZS10 wrote:
I know that this is a very simplistic drawing without proper labels for the forces and it ignores the car squatting in corners and some other forces...but

bottom:
Let's assume the car is cornering (to the right) with a very stiff wing, the downforce acts, well, downwards, the load on the tyres isn't equal since it's transferred to the outside tyre (left rear) so you're not utilizing the inside tyre as much as you could.

top:
With a wing which pivots you'd partially counter the car's squatting and the downforce would slightly counteract the uneven load distribution meaning more grip.

Whether that wing is tilting enough to have any positive effect in fast corners which the uncontrolled wobbling wouldn't nullify in slow corners is another thing to consider
Or the wobble/tilt caused downforce to vary too much as the wing moved back and forth, which might explain why the left rear was blistered so much.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

zibby43
zibby43

DVB wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 15:56
Was wondering the same thing. Saw the news from Motorsport that Merc was planning on a new aerodynamic upgrade/package for Monza.

This is a must-win race for them, IMHO.

DVB

zibby43 wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 21:30
DVB wrote:
Was wondering the same thing. Saw the news from Motorsport that Merc was planning on a new aerodynamic upgrade/package for Monza.

Any bets on a more Ferrari package as it's proving to be the next step in aerodynamics? :twisted: :twisted:
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

zibby43
zibby43

DVB wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 21:42
zibby43 wrote:
DVB wrote:

Any bets on a more Ferrari package as it's proving to be the next step in aerodynamics? :twisted: :twisted:
Merc must find a way to improve on the straights without eroding their advantage in high-speed corners. It seems like the constant tweaking (straying?) from the initial design platform has dropped them in a constant state of trying remain consistent with traction and tire management.

giantfan10
giantfan10

DVB wrote:
My guess is that its much ado about nothing.
Every team brings a low downforce Monza package to Monza.....i wouldnt call that an aero update but who am i to judge?

Morteza

giantfan10 wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 00:33
DVB wrote:
My guess is that its much ado about nothing.
Every team brings a low downforce Monza package to Monza.....i wouldnt call that an aero update but who am i to judge?
Agreed, I don't think it's going to be anything more than a typical Monza package (happy to be proved wrong though :) )
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

RZS10 wrote:

bottom:

top:

This is what the zenvo TSR-S wing does

But the Mercedes wing is swinging from side to side, so I honestly just think its a matter of making the endplates too thin, in the chase of cutting weight. I don't see any positive aero effect of the wing pulsating from side to side like that in a corner.
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 2216473605
Last edited by Holm86 on 28 Aug 2018, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

F1NAC

Mercedes run more RW and were pretty much OK on S1 and S2. I think with Monza package they can challenge for pole

F1Krof

Holm86 wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 12:23
RZS10 wrote:

bottom:

top:

This is what the zenvo TSR-S wing does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25vuoc7NtVk

But the Mercedes wing is swinging from side to side, so I honestly just think its a matter of making the endplates too thin, in the chase of cutting weight. I don't see any positive aero effect of the wing pulsating from side to side like that in a corner.
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 2216473605
Man the level of hypocrisy in this world is crazy.

OK Merc's rearwing wobbles a lot. Good we can see that. Nice spot! Good job!

Since we're talking about flexing and wobbling, did you happen to notice how 'crazy' the front wing of the Ferrari was wobbling compare to the others?!

Yeah Sky Italia, questioning legality of the Italian Team's main opponent. Very very convenient. And totally very 'professional and unbiased'.

Goddamn :?
Wroom wroom

ClarkBT11

DVB wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
DVB wrote:

When Mercedes are winning Ferrari supporters say it's down to the engine... When Ferrari win its the Aerodynamics, are you sure its not a loophole in the energy deployment that's giving them the advantage..? Ferrari are winning because of their engine advantage.

Two up votes for your comment is comical.

LM10
LM10

ClarkBT11 wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 19:49
DVB wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

When Mercedes are winning Ferrari supporters say it's down to the engine... When Ferrari win its the Aerodynamics, are you sure its not a loophole in the energy deployment that's giving them the advantage..? Ferrari are winning because of their engine advantage.

Two up votes for your comment is comical.
Why did Mercedes go the Ferrari way with side pod design mid-season?

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

People are exaggerating Ferrari PU advantage, just like Toto and Hamilton. Hamilton ran more downforce and also ran wide just a tiny bit, that's why Vettel overtook him with a greater speed difference. There was also the head wind which increased the tow effect.

After the overtake, Hamilton started gaining on Vettel, as well as the Force Indias, and by the end of the straight, all 4 were alongside each other. So Mercedes PU is not as bad as Toto and Hamilton are trying to tell. They are just trying to be underdogs, take the pressure off themselves and put it on Ferrari. Ferrari PU is just as good as Merc PU, or just slightly better. Ferrari is winning because of their PU 'AND' the chassis.