2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Marci
Marci

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For me it looks like at the end of the straights the top speed of the ferraris drop 3-4kph slowly, then they start hard braking.It is visible mainly before the first chicane, and before parabolica.Also,before Ascari, when the road starts to elevate, their speed drops a bit, while mercedes increases it.I dont see this tendency to drop a bit of speed before hard braking at mercedes.Is it happening because of the different calibration of the PUs? Can it indicate anything? Or I am just misleaded by the onboards.

f1316
f1316

Artur Craft wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 21:12
Juzh wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 17:43
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 17:31

All evidence proves otherwise. Combination of chassis and PU. But certainly the Ferrari PU is widely regarded as superior since summer.
Since spa I don't think ferrari has any sort of meaningful advantage. If anything, mercedes still has more ERS deployment since they're always faster at the end of just about any straight, all this with running visibly more wing levels.
Hamilton fans will always downplay his car's speed. That aside , Bottas is useless
Toto mentioned after the last race in Spa that the Ferrari was derating earlier, so definitely Mercedes still has an advantage there.

Can’t speak to where Ferrari’s advantages are - clearly somewhere - but it doesn’t seem to be in terms of *quantity* of deployment (or at the very least, they’re using it differently - perhaps somehow able to put more of it down on corner exit; just riffing but perhaps this explains why they decided to keep a conventional front suspension lay out - in tandem with the fact it works better with their sidepod design - as they do seem to have better traction and perhaps they figured out that there was scope for more deployment, earlier, if mechanical grip sufficient. Just supposition).

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 21:29
I wonder... will Ferrari somehow find a small defect in Kimis gearbox to give Vettel pole :D
This sounds familiar.............. Oh wait just ask Massa about ‘broken seals’!

zibby43
zibby43

nacho wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 21:35
Why is Bottas so slow?
He didn't have any confidence in his brakes today after some setup changes.

You need confidence in your brakes at Monza. If you want to be quick.

Harvester
Harvester

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 22:08
Jolle wrote:
I wonder... will Ferrari somehow find a small defect in Kimis gearbox to give Vettel pole :D
I don't know what is the problem in Kimi helping Seb at this point in the championship. Mercedes openly talks about Bottas being the second driver helping Lewis. So why would Ferrari play those tricks. Kimi should simply accept the fact that he is slower than Seb. How many times he failed last two years it is miracle to me that he is still in Ferrari. Don't get me wrong I like Kimi, I would really like to see him winning and being in situation to win championship but unfortunately it is obvious that right now he is not on Vettel's level.

NathanOlder

Harvester wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 22:20
Restomaniac wrote:
Jolle wrote:
I don't know what is the problem in Kimi helping Seb at this point in the championship. Mercedes openly talks about Bottas being the second driver helping Lewis. So why would Ferrari play those tricks. Kimi should simply accept the fact that he is slower than Seb. How many times he failed last two years it is miracle to me that he is still in Ferrari. Don't get me wrong I like Kimi, I would really like to see him winning and being in situation to win championship but unfortunately it is obvious that right now he is not on Vettel's level.
So you say its ok to make up a problem to take a penalty to get driver 1 in front of driver 2 ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Harvester
Harvester

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 22:32
Harvester wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 22:20
Restomaniac wrote:
So you say its ok to make up a problem to take a penalty to get driver 1 in front of driver 2 ?
No, I say they don't need to make up a problem. They should simply swap positions at some point in the race if Kimi is in front and Kimi should accept it.

siskue2005

In a way i was happy to see no rain...otherwise we would have missed out on this great qualifying session

NathanOlder

My weather app says thunderstorms in 1pm 2pm local time.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

What time is race start? Local time?

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 18:18
Raikkonen vs Vettel

(click link for high quality)
https://streamable.com/4iz6c

https://streamable.com/4iz6c

Rai pole lap with telemetry
https://streamable.com/et8fm
https://streamable.com/et8fm
Beatiful. Kimi clearly gained the most through tow in Q3.

BTW, F1 use the wrong start-finish line on Kimi's pole onboard. That's the start-finish line for the race, not the quali.

Phil

3:10pm.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Zynerji

Phil wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 01:10
3:10pm.
ty

Dazed1
Dazed1

Prediction: Kimi leads Seb by 5 seconds on final lap, team orders Kimi to let Seb through, Kimi says go to hell! :P

Zynerji

Dazed1 wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 01:37
Prediction: Kimi leads Seb by 5 seconds on final lap, team orders Kimi to let Seb through, Kimi says go to hell! :P
Kimi would let him through on his own.

They are close friends, and Kimi knows who signs his paychecks. By bringing the titles to Ferrari, he is guaranteed a drive next year.

He knows it's in his best interests to help Seb beat Lewis.

More likely, it's going to be a slow start to hold Lewis up.