2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

Can we talk about that Renault C Spec doing exactly what Renault has feared in the first race?

Zynerji

stuartpengs wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:59
Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:46
stuartpengs wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:36

Why dummy a pitstop after Kimi had already pitted? It's not like it's going to force them to put again. :? After Kimi had pitted the mechanics came out in case Ham wanted to pit. It's not to force an opponent into a sub-optimal strategy as they've already pitted.
:roll: That's not why the rule is in place... :roll:
All teams do it and no-one complains about it (apart from the occasional disgruntled fan who only sees it when it's done by a competitor). If Ferrari were bluffed into an earlier stop for Kimi (I don't believe they were), then they really need to work on strategy. Merc didn't technically break any rules - if they instructed Ham to pit if Kimi stays out, then it's required that the pit crew are ready and in position. Kimi pitted, they stayed out. After that it was just precaution in case Ham wanted to pit (depending on sector times). The strategy hand was dealt when Ferrari decided to pit.
You are only proving my point... :roll:

Why have the rule of it isn't enforced? Just to claim safety consciousness?

NathanOlder

I wonder what Renault have protested about with Haas. Today was the cut off date to lodge a protest. Renault are not happy about something thats been going on for a while.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:58
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:42
Rumours are that Raikkonen has lost his seat. How the hell will that help Vettel? Why should Raikkonen help Ferrari now?
If he isn't willing to follow the orders of his employers he should be replaced with immediate effect.
Leclerc is talented, but Ferrari would be throwing away any chance of this year's Constructors championship were they to do that.

I don't think the situation will descend to that sort of farcical level. If Raikkonen is going, Ferrari will surely deliver the news smoothly, and hopefully with some grace. He's their last World Champion, he deserves a better send-off than what is being suggested.
Last edited by Fulcrum on 02 Sep 2018, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Sierra117 wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:25
I think Verstappen needs to race himself, like how you could play against yourself in 'ghost mode' in the old Need For Speed games. Maybe that will give him a clue as to why he got the penalty.
That´s a damn good idea! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edax
Edax

Harvester wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:49
Shrieker wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:59
Harvester wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 15:29
Hamilton very lucky. To go through this without any damage unbelievable.
Why is he lucky... You sound like he did something wrong. He didn't. After Hamilton put his nose ahead round the outside, it was checkmate. Yet Vettel wanted to press the issue and fight a lost cause, slid both in the front and the rear, and went into Hamilton.
Well I don't think it was really checkmate. In my opinion even Hamilton knew there is high possibility of crash here. In fact I think if you take any two drivers in this situation a crash would be more likely than not.
I think you don’t often see cars (F1, GP2/3) making an inside pass on that corner from behind without exchanging some carbon bits. That inner kerb is just too unforgiving, it will push you wide. If you are not ahead then you better back out. That is exactly what Hamilton did a few laps later when Raikkonen landed the same pass on him.

Edax
Edax

Andres125sx wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:10
Sierra117 wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:25
I think Verstappen needs to race himself, like how you could play against yourself in 'ghost mode' in the old Need For Speed games. Maybe that will give him a clue as to why he got the penalty.
That´s a damn good idea! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He probably would have made that pass stick and not have run into himself :D

stuartpengs

Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:06
stuartpengs wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:59
Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:46

:roll: That's not why the rule is in place... :roll:
All teams do it and no-one complains about it (apart from the occasional disgruntled fan who only sees it when it's done by a competitor). If Ferrari were bluffed into an earlier stop for Kimi (I don't believe they were), then they really need to work on strategy. Merc didn't technically break any rules - if they instructed Ham to pit if Kimi stays out, then it's required that the pit crew are ready and in position. Kimi pitted, they stayed out. After that it was just precaution in case Ham wanted to pit (depending on sector times). The strategy hand was dealt when Ferrari decided to pit.
You are only proving my point... :roll:

Why have the rule of it isn't enforced? Just to claim safety consciousness?
In such a tightly regulated sport, I'm half glad it isn't robustly enforced. Ultimately it shouldn't influence a competitor as far as changing strategy because they all do it and they can monitor radio transmissions of all of the teams. If someone's going to moan about it because they think it influenced their 'fave' team into making a mistake with strategy, whilst not being overtly vocal about it when it's also used by a 'fave' team, it just sounds a little hollow, and fanboyish (not that I'm accusing you of that. :) )

I'm in the enviable position of being an F1 fan over the fan of a specific driver or team; from that perspective, it really doesn't influence the outcome as much as you're thinking it would. If your gripe is purely from a safety aspect, you might have a point, but personally I like the fun & games the teams play. Let's not sanitize it to much, some would argue it's overly regulated as it is.

subcritical71

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:01
Can we talk about that Renault C Spec doing exactly what Renault has feared in the first race?
Seems RB are doing their best to make Renault look bad. Renault probably can’t wait for them to struggle with the Honda (not saying they will struggle, but I’m sure Renault would love it)

Andres125sx

JonoNic wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:57
Shrieker wrote:Verstappen what a petulant little child ! People like him and Alonso are pure undiluted cancer. He should take note how no one wanted Alonso despite his skills. But he won't; cause he's sick.
Actually Alonso created disharmony in his teams and therefore teams steered clear of him. Not the same with Verstappen... yet
Repeating bs does not make it true tough #-o

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... 53/?nrt=54

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/motor ... a-new-deal

If leaving Ferrari was a right move or not is a different debate. With the benefit of hindsight it obviously wasn´t, but that does not change the fact Ferrari never steered clear of him, they were willing to keep him :wink:

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:05
apexcontrol wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:00
Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:58

If he isn't willing to follow the orders of his employers he should be replaced with immediate effect.
offcourse kimi will be exit, he helps hamilton
Now kimi helped hamilton. Love it.

You must be sooo angry !

Everyone else saw a different race to you today. Maybe watch the re run and come back for a civilised chat.
why do you think i am angry ? ......i would be angry if it seems that lewis would be one of the best drivers of all time.
because i dont like certain drivers/people............but its clear he needs help so i am happy

LionKing
LionKing

Andres125sx wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:27
If leaving Ferrari was a right move or not is a different debate. With the benefit of hindsight it obviously wasn´t, but that does not change the fact Ferrari never steered clear of him, they were willing to keep him :wink:
On the other hand, there were many opportunities in the last 3 years in the top 3 teams and none wanted Alonso:
Rosberg retirement, Bottas year on year deals,
Kimi year on year deals,
Kvyat out at Redbull and now Ricciardo out.

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:08
I wonder what Renault have protested about with Haas. Today was the cut off date to lodge a protest. Renault are not happy about something thats been going on for a while.

yeah that renault can't make a winning PU for 4th place. but well nothing is for free they should spend way more money.
or just buy from top team

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:00
F1NAC wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:45
Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:43

Running order of qualifying.
Didn't Vettel exit right behind Hamilton? He could used him as a tow
I was saying this yesterday, Vettel had a chance to be exactly how close he wanted to be to hamilton. He was about 5 seconds away from Lewis. Kimi was about 4 seconds from Seb.
Is the tow really that strong or meaningful from that far away though?

Cars aren't affected by dirty air when they are 4 secs apart.

Why would anyone think that a car 4 sec up the road can tow? :-?

F1NAC

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 18:08
They are questioning legality of HAAS floor