Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 12:02
saviour stivala wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 11:11
Before these hybrid power units had even ran on track researched estimations said that ERS-H had to use 60kw of power from the energy store to power the compressor with waste-gates open.
I think that estimate presupposes that the exhaust turbine contributes a further 30kW or so to provide the total 90kW needed to drive the compressor.
if the waste-gates are open and the exhaust gasses are bypassing the exhaust turbine and the compressor is in electric supercharger mode how can the exhaust turbine contribute 30kw?.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

AJI wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 12:09
henry wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
Before these hybrid power units had even ran on track researched estimations said that ERS-H had to use 60kw of power from the energy store to power the compressor with waste-gates open.
I think that estimate presupposes that the exhaust turbine contributes a further 30kW or so to provide the total 90kW needed to drive the compressor.
Interesting that the AMG Project 1 suggests ~90kW for the H.
From the press release...
so we are now down to 90kw from 150-200kw according to AMG project 1 suggestions.

AJI
AJI

saviour stivala wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:08
so we are now down to 90kw from 150-200kw according to AMG project 1 suggestions.
Saviour, I politely ask you to cite your source for this data, but this is the last time... 90kW is quoted in the press release, albeit unverified, but it's all that we have. The rest is pure speculation...

henry

saviour stivala wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:03
henry wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
if the waste-gates are open and the exhaust gasses are bypassing the exhaust turbine and the compressor is in electric supercharger mode how can the exhaust turbine contribute 30kw?.
Very simple. The exhaust gases don’t bypass the turbine completely.

I can see how you might have this misapprehension. The 2014 Ferrari did indeed bypass completely. Since then they have learned, and they, as the other manufacturers, have valves in the turbine scroll, relieving pressure while still permitting blowdown recovery. How things were is not how they are now.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

saviour stivala wrote:
AJI wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 12:09
henry wrote:

Interesting that the AMG Project 1 suggests ~90kW for the H.
From the press release...
There’s a difference between rated power and transient power. Using a continuously rated 90kW motor for short periods at a higher rating is not unlikely. In anti-lag use these periods are fractions of a second.

A more onerous use is Honda’s extra harvest mode transferring 120kW from the MGU-K plus the normal turbine contribution, for a few seconds. Onerous but Honda do it.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:31
saviour stivala wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:03
henry wrote:

Very simple. The exhaust gases don’t bypass the turbine completely.

I can see how you might have this misapprehension. The 2014 Ferrari did indeed bypass completely. Since then they have learned, and they, as the other manufacturers, have valves in the turbine scroll, relieving pressure while still permitting blowdown recovery. How things were is not how they are now.
'Bypassing' the exhaust turbine scroll means 'bypassing' the turbine scroll. bypassing the turbine scroll eleminates build-in wastegates into the scroll or any sort of relieve valving a design of which doesn't doesnt bypass but relieve.

henry

AJI wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:24
saviour stivala wrote:
Saviour, I politely ask you to cite your source for this data, but this is the last time... 90kW is quoted in the press release, albeit unverified, but it's all that we have. The rest is pure speculation...
I believe the source for the 150kW is me. It is, as you say, speculation, based on my understanding of how these things work which has evolved from papers I’ve read and some of the really useful contributions from users of this forum.

A paper from 2014
Dynamic Model for the Energetic Optimization of Turbocompound Hybrid Powertrains
also cites a value of 180kW for antilag duties. I can probably find you a link if you’d like one.

Most of what we do is speculation. We get the occasional glimpse of real data, such as the figure you quote from AMG, and Honda articles in the Japanese press. Other than that we have to make stuff up hopefully working from some known data or understanding.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

AJI wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
Source for what data you would like?. and what do you mean by "this is the last time?.

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula

henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:37
A more onerous use is Honda’s extra harvest mode transferring 120kW from the MGU-K plus the normal turbine contribution, for a few seconds. Onerous but Honda do it.
But that's not necessarily 120kW. Every manufacturer has a good understanding of how much energy they can harvest from the MGU-K before they even drove one meter on the track.
So it's no problem to combine the direct way to the battery and the way via the MGU-H all the time if you know that you will harvest more than the aloud 2MJ.
For instance you can load the battery directly with 90kW and 30kW is going the route via the MGU-H everytime the MGU-K harvests with 120kW. This keeps the size of the MGU-H motor to a minimum.

henry

Dr. Acula wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 14:39
henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:37
But that's not necessarily 120kW. Every manufacturer has a good understanding of how much energy they can harvest from the MGU-K before they even drove one meter on the track.
So it's no problem to combine the direct way to the battery and the way via the MGU-H all the time if you know that you will harvest more than the aloud 2MJ.
For instance you can load the battery directly with 90kW and 30kW is going the route via the MGU-H everytime the MGU-K harvests with 120kW. This keeps the size of the MGU-H motor to a minimum.
An interesting point. I based my understanding on the Honda implementation, which if I remember correctly worked separately from direct mode. I’ll maybe have another look at the article, but I don’t expect to see anything different.

Personally I don’t think your scheme would work. I have formed the opinion that the way the FIA enforces the energy transfer rules using the two sensors that are mandated means that the MGU-K cannot run continuously but must be cycled to make the energy leaving the K asynchronous with the energy entering the ES.

In your example if 120kW leaves the K and 120kW arrives at the ES “simultaneously” the assumption is that all the energy flowed from the K to the ES and it doesn’t matter what the route was.

Even if this were not the case you would not be able to send 120kW in your scheme because you have to cycle the H from receiving to sending. With equal cycles you’d pass 15kW in your scheme for a total flow of 105kW.

Of course this all depends on how they manage the K <> ES powerflows using the two sensors, and I don’t think we know.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 13:49
AJI wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
I believe the source for the 150kW is me. It is, as you say, speculation, based on my understanding of how these things work which has evolved from papers I’ve read and some of the really useful contributions from users of this forum.

A paper from 2014
Dynamic Model for the Energetic Optimization of Turbocompound Hybrid Powertrains
also cites a value of 180kW for antilag duties. I can probably find you a link if you’d like one.

Most of what we do is speculation. We get the occasional glimpse of real data, such as the figure you quote from AMG, and Honda articles in the Japanese press. Other than that we have to make stuff up hopefully working from some known data or understanding.
Henry. I did not say you was speculating. The figure i qoulted "60kw" i was not qouting AMG and niether Honda articles in the Japanese press. I never seen or read about the qouted "90kw press release by AMG project 1". what I have seen and read by mercedes was that now their MGU-H is able to contribut past the 60% mark of their ERS needs.

restless
restless

OFFTOPIC:

Can someone point me to the article where Honda engines from 2015 to 2017 were compared and there were diagrams/graphs how ICE and energy generation/deployment work?
I was asked by someone to give the link and realized I never saved one :(
Thanks

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

page 845 of this thread is one place

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula

henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 15:06
An interesting point. I based my understanding on the Honda implementation, which if I remember correctly worked separately from direct mode. I’ll maybe have another look at the article, but I don’t expect to see anything different.

Personally I don’t think your scheme would work. I have formed the opinion that the way the FIA enforces the energy transfer rules using the two sensors that are mandated means that the MGU-K cannot run continuously but must be cycled to make the energy leaving the K asynchronous with the energy entering the ES.

In your example if 120kW leaves the K and 120kW arrives at the ES “simultaneously” the assumption is that all the energy flowed from the K to the ES and it doesn’t matter what the route was.

Even if this were not the case you would not be able to send 120kW in your scheme because you have to cycle the H from receiving to sending. With equal cycles you’d pass 15kW in your scheme for a total flow of 105kW.

Of course this all depends on how they manage the K <> ES powerflows using the two sensors, and I don’t think we know.
The Rules say:
  • One Sensor is connected to measure all electrical energy into and out of the Energy Store
  • One Sensor is connected to measure all electrical energy into and out of the MGU-K
You're correct in this point that with this setup, they may not be able to distinguish where the energy is actually coming from.
But there is also an other rule, which let me believe the FIA can actually see way more of what is going on in a car then we often think.
8.4 Data acquisition :
8.4.1 To assist scrutineering, the FIA requires unlimited access to the following ECU information before, during and after any track session :
a) Application parameter configurations.
b) Logged data and events.
c) Real-time telemetry data and events.
Throughout the Event, the logging memory and events buffer may only be cleared by an FIA engineer.
The FIA must have the ability to connect to the ECU via a jump battery using an FIA laptop. The teams should make a jump battery available at all times during the Event.
The teams should transfer the real-time telemetry data and events on the FIA network as requested by, and in the format defined by, the FIA.
Prior to the race, the ECU data logger must be configured in such a way that allows logging of data for at least two hours and fifteen minutes without exceeding the size of the logger memory.
So as i understand it the FIA can see everthing a team can see in the telemetry. So i think the FIA has a pretty good understanding of how the energyflow actually looks like at any time.
That of course doesn't mean Honda for instance does it this way. But i personally don't think it would violate any rules splitting up the energy flow this way.

Also it's a thing of interpretation what the FIA means with "one Sensor" in my opinion. Is a Sensor with multiple measuring channels still just one Sensor? Because if you think of it, to measure the energy flow to the MGU-K properly you need to monitor all three electrical power connections. The MGU-K is made up of a 3-phase induction motor.

Yes, it's a lot of personall interpretation here, but isn't this something we see in F1 all the time. The double diffusor for instance was exactly that.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Dr. Acula wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 17:13
..... The MGU-K is made up of a 3-phase induction motor
er .... who says this ?
Honda's KERS used a (so-called) brushless DC machine
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 27 Sep 2018, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.