McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: McLaren MCL33

diffuser wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 17:00
diffuser wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 01:02
GoranF1 wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 20:30
Again, only car whit nothing new.
One would expect if they turned 100% focus on '19, that they would test something by now....
well the wings will be different next year, the car longer(midwing) and the side pods narrower, not sure what would fit from next year.....
Although it sucks majorly that they gave up on 2018 after Spain. That`s more of F1 issue hat anything else. They`d rather put the money into next year`s car and sacrifice this years.
I really do not see how they can. How can you develop 'next' if you do not understand 'this'?

Either they move forward on someone else's base line or they are throwing straws in the wind to see where they go.
If you are lost, the very very first thing you do is establish where you are now and which way you are facing.
heading off in some direction you are not 100% sure of will just mean you are lost somewhere else.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

M840TR
M840TR

Big Tea wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 17:08
diffuser wrote:
diffuser wrote:

well the wings will be different next year, the car longer(midwing) and the side pods narrower, not sure what would fit from next year.....
Although it sucks majorly that they gave up on 2018 after Spain. That`s more of F1 issue hat anything else. They`d rather put the money into next year`s car and sacrifice this years.
I really do not see how they can. How can you develop 'next' if you do not understand 'this'?

Either they move forward on someone else's base line or they are throwing straws in the wind to see where they go.
If you are lost, the very very first thing you do is establish where you are now and which way you are facing.
heading off in some direction you are not 100% sure of will just mean you are lost somewhere else.
He's just pointing to the disappointment of the whole situation, not challenging the reality in it.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:
diffuser wrote:

They said they understood that issue already ... They're just not gonna, for whatever reason, fix it on this years car. There is a cost issue as the new parts you'd make for this years car can't be used on next years cars, regulation change. They probably want to save as much money as they can from this year's budget and move to next year's budget.

BrunoH
BrunoH

2.6 sec off the pace... its even worse than it was with Honda.. amazing!

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 18:36
Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:

They said they understood that issue already ... They're just not gonna, for whatever reason, fix it on this years car. There is a cost issue as the new parts you'd make for this years car can't be used on next years cars, regulation change. They probably want to save as much money as they can from this year's budget and move to next year's budget.
More to do with ROI. Why put 3/4 months of work into something that won't matter next year.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 19:58
diffuser wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

More to do with ROI. Why put 3/4 months of work into something that won't matter next year.
I think I'm saying the same thing.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 20:26
M840TR wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 19:58
diffuser wrote:

I think I'm saying the same thing.

I agree with what you are saying guys, but its 4-5 months until they get to test next years car on track, and until they got this years car to first test they thought it was going to be good. What's changed?

A couple of months to test things now when the car has no chance would be development time well spent I think.
Even if next years car will be a completely different ethos, they can still run things in free practice.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM
PhillipM

You can't test a lot if you have inherent issues compromising the car and stopping it from responding well to setup changes.

Jolle
Jolle

They have a third choice driver and a rookie next year and another “succes is around the corner” what we heard the last couple of seasons. I’m a McLaren fan since 1984. First seeing, then believing. I hope for a good ‘19 but I’m worried that they’re going to challenge Williams for last place.

mclaren111

Any idea what they're testing with that apparatus on the nose ?? I don't see any aero rakes attached.

M840TR
M840TR

mclaren111 wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 09:32
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... cl33-1.jpg

Any idea what they're testing with that apparatus on the nose ?? I don't see any aero rakes attached.
Some sort of sensor apparently.

M840TR
M840TR

Jolle wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 00:36
They have a third choice driver and a rookie next year and another “succes is around the corner” what we heard the last couple of seasons. I’m a McLaren fan since 1984. First seeing, then believing. I hope for a good ‘19 but I’m worried that they’re going to challenge Williams for last place.
Williams are in their current state because Lowe revised their entire design from one year to the next without regulation change. That's just not how Peter P works.

F1NAC

mclaren111 wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 09:32
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... cl33-1.jpg

Ride height sensors mounted on FW endplate

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1 ... 8425313280

M840TR
M840TR

It will be interesting to see how Petrobras fuel compares to BP for next season given they've been out of F1 for some time, even though 2018 was spent in development. Any horsepower deficit would be a big disadvantage given the engine is a lot weaker than the benchmark already.

M840TR
M840TR

Wing level compared to last year.