Autonomous Cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
AJI
AJI

Re: Autonomous Cars

subcritical71 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 23:54
When I do long distance travel I also like the distance maintaining cruise control. For me I have to separate local driving vs long distance (>300 miles)
You're already a quarter of the way to becoming an autonomous vehicle supporter...

I use cruise control on almost every trip, no matter how short. There are speed cameras everywhere in Australia.

strad

Make getting a license harder. IMO
Used to be it was a privilege not a right.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

subcritical71

AJI wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 23:59
subcritical71 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 23:54
When I do long distance travel I also like the distance maintaining cruise control. For me I have to separate local driving vs long distance (>300 miles)
You're already a quarter of the way to becoming an autonomous vehicle supporter...

I use cruise control on almost every trip, no matter how short. There are speed cameras everywhere in Australia.
I’m probably close to being there already, however, I would never not pay attention no matter how automated they get. It’s the same when I fly planes, the autopilot does all the manual work, but I am required to ensure the autopilot is working properly. In the aviation world the pilot is ultimately responsible, I think any legislation that removes auto driver responsibility is missing the point.

AJI
AJI

subcritical71 wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 01:18
... I think any legislation that removes auto driver responsibility is missing the point.
If there isn't a human driver in the car then the vehicle manufacturer has to assume responsibility.
The most likely outcome of pursuing the AV route is that ALL of the responsibility will ultimately be shifted to the manufacturer, probably on the proviso that a human is no longer allowed to drive..?

subcritical71

Does that then mean I don’t need to carry the insurance? I think the state of Colorado (here in the US) already has legislature where if the car is full autonomous then the driver is not required to be at the controls at all. I’m not sure we’re liability rests if there is an accident.

AJI
AJI

subcritical71 wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 01:50
Does that then mean I don’t need to carry the insurance? I think the state of Colorado (here in the US) already has legislature where if the car is full autonomous then the driver is not required to be at the controls at all. I’m not sure we’re liability rests if there is an accident.
Theoretically, if 100% of the vehicles on the road are autonomous there should be 100% compliance with road rules resulting in no accidents and therefore no need for anyone to carry insurance..?

strad

Just sounds to me like one more way for people to dodge personal responsibility.
It's epidemic. I can list dozens of areas where people want to avoid taking responsibility for anything, not just bad driving. To this old fart a lot of this not just driving boils down to modern laziness.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI
AJI

strad wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 03:47
Just sounds to me like one more way for people to dodge personal responsibility.
It's epidemic. I can list dozens of areas where people want to avoid taking responsibility for anything, not just bad driving. To this old fart a lot of this not just driving boils down to modern laziness.
If you never have to drive because the car drives itself then how is that laziness? It doesn't seem that different to me than people who don't currently drive but take an uber everywhere, only it's your own personal uber.
That said, I can see personal vehicle ownership plummeting when AV becomes ubiquitous.

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
Believe it or not, there are people, a lot of people, who don´t enjoy driving, so if the car can do the job by itself, that will be awesome for them.

Also, there are people, a lot of people, whose driving capabilities are scary.

It´s not a matter of dodging responsibility, but providing to people what they need, and needs are extremelly variable. You´re judging AVs from your point of view, someone who like cars and driving. But there are a lot more people who don´t like cars or driving so their needs are completely different to yours. If they have the posibility to move from A to B without driving but still with the freedom a personal car provide, what problem do you have with that?

It will be safer for them, for you and for anyone using the roads at the same time. Win-win.... if they´re not mandated for everyone obviously

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 01:15
Make getting a license harder. IMO
Used to be it was a privilege not a right.
In the UK it is harder to get a license. When I did it, you proved your eyesight was ok by reading a number plate at a given distance, drove around with the examiner for about 40 minutes and then answered a few questions about the highway code and road signs (5 minutes at the end of the driving test). That was it - although the driving part was still very strict back then.

Now there is a full-on "theory test" (highway code, road signs, hazard perception test using videos etc.) that has to be passed before you do the actual driving test on the road. There is also a requirement to be able to show the examiner the important maintenance bits (oil level check, coolant etc.).

In the UK, the first-time pass rate for the driving test is around 50%, with women slightly stronger in the theory test, men slightly stronger in the practical driving test. Overall, the figures even out because you obviously have to pass both bits to get your license. That suggests we have a system that weeds out the poor drivers quite well.

And a driving license was never a privilege - it was easier to get one "back in the day". You're just being a typical "old timer" :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
Is letting someone else drive by taking the bus "dodging personal responsibility"? Sorry, flippant question. :lol:

Being serious again, one benefit of AV is freeing up time. Huge numbers of people spend ridiculous numbers of hours every day sitting in traffic going nowhere very fast. In an AV, that time could become productive - dealing with emails before getting to your desk, for example. I did three years of commuting where my trip could be an hour (good day) or two hours (bad day) each way. I'd be sat in my vehicle staring at the bumper ahead of me, not able to do anything else because we were crawling along - so I needed to drive, to be aware of what's going on etc. In an AV, I could have finished off a bit of work or even just relaxed with a book. That's not dodging responsibility - that's making better use of time and making the roads safer because of it.

strad

And a driving license was never a privilege -
Sorry but it was. It was drilled into us way back when I was young. And IMO it should be. ANd if you think about it, that is why they can take it away. Because you abuse the privilege. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 21:30
And a driving license was never a privilege -
Sorry but it was. It was drilled into us way back when I was young. And IMO it should be. ANd if you think about it, that is why they can take it away. Because you abuse the privilege. :wink:
But only if you mess up. They can't arbitrarily take it away. At least not in mature democracies.

strad

Like I said ,.. IF you abuse the privilege that they grant you. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI
AJI

I thought this thread was about autonomous vehicles, not about the perceived rights and privileges of man, but okay...
An AV would truly be a privilege, and as you have stated strad, no one has the right to drive. We're on a slippery slope here people!