[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Well that was bad...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

machin

First race back after a lay-off, with some rule changes to contend with, was always going to be difficult compared to those who have had more time to refine their designs... Come back strong for Pikes Peak... 💪👍
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

Alonso Fan wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 20:53
Well that was bad...
A funny but unfortunately accurate summary of your race. a Richard said, you will come back in Pikes Peak.

I released the results:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/results-mvrc-daytona-2018/

There was an issue with convergence on some of the cars. This forced me to run some of the cars with different mesh settings. I did it in a way that the results did not get too distorted in the overall lap times. The gaps between some cars are a bit inaccurate now though. The main two cars affected were JJR and Variante. They were driving in their own league, though. I think the issues are because of their designs which forces very fast air through relative small gaps in the floor to the ground area. Today I will look a bit deeper into this. Probably I will have to release an updated version of MantiumFlow tomorrow, which will then be the standard for the last race. If you guys like, I can delay the last race for one week.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:21
Alonso Fan wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 20:53
Well that was bad...
A funny but unfortunately accurate summary of your race. a Richard said, you will come back in Pikes Peak.

I released the results:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/results-mvrc-daytona-2018/

There was an issue with convergence on some of the cars. This forced me to run some of the cars with different mesh settings. I did it in a way that the results did not get too distorted in the overall lap times. The gaps between some cars are a bit inaccurate now though. The main two cars affected were JJR and Variante. They were driving in their own league, though. I think the issues are because of their designs which forces very fast air through relative small gaps in the floor to the ground area. Today I will look a bit deeper into this. Probably I will have to release an updated version of MantiumFlow tomorrow, which will then be the standard for the last race. If you guys like, I can delay the last race for one week.
I am happy with the results: the official data perfectly match my local simulations.

I had some convergence issues during the developement, that is why I don't use vortices generators on the top surfaces of the car (I admit I tested an exact copy of Variante's vortex generators on the front with good results but too many risks to not find the simulation done after a night of computations).

I will go on with my concept for the PIkes Peak race: it is old but not osbolete and with so many tight hairpin bends reduced rotational intertia will help ;)

EDIT: I have just noticed that JJR run with reduced engine power! Impressive how he could dominate anyway, not good news for CAEdevice looking at the ranking.

JJR
JJR

I ´m glad to finaly win MVRC round.
I send my car to Daytona with less cooling as weather forecas was that it will be cool day :D .
For Pikes Peak I will use different cooling configuration but less efficient and maybe more elegant for Richard eye :) .

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 15:12
I ´m glad to finaly win MVRC round.
I send my car to Daytona with less cooling as weather forecas was that it will be cool day :D .
For Pikes Peak I will use different cooling configuration but less efficient and maybe more elegant for Richard eye :) .
=D> Congratulations, you improved your downforce also if compared to last year rules

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 13:14
EDIT: I have just noticed that JJR run with reduced engine power! Impressive how he could dominate anyway, not good news for CAEdevice looking at the ranking.
Yes, his car is possibly now the new benchmark. I think it is easier for him to fix the cooling thing than for Variante to improve his downforce as much as he needs now. But this would only be true if we would have a normal last race. We will obviously see very different cars in Pikes Peak. So who knows, maybe the old and beaten CAEdevice car will like the new wings most, or somebody else entirely will climb to the very top (fastest). One way or the other, the championship is very open now, which is cool considering how it started.

machin

JJR wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 15:12
and maybe more elegant for Richard eye :) .
👍👍👍

LVDH

I sent the reports out today. Please download as soon as you can, as I will need the Dropbox space for the new MantiumFlow version. Please send me an email when you have downloaded your report. Latest Thursday, I will take the reports down again if there is not enough space available.

CAEdevice

Ideas (and prices) for the next race:

https://codylovelandracing.com/affinity-aerodynamics/

machin

I thought for a moment (before I clicked on the link) you were selling MVRC CAD models.... 🧐

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 21:48
I thought for a moment (before I clicked on the link) you were selling MVRC CAD models.... 🧐
It is too late, I should have sold them after the first race :)
I will release them "open source" on my website and Grabcad.

LVDH

So, after quite some technical difficulties, the new MFlow version is up. It is not modified for the Pikes Peak rules, but will be a nice bit faster and is the official version of the last race. It would be cool for a Windows user to confirm if it works.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 18:54
So, after quite some technical difficulties, the new MFlow version is up. It is not modified for the Pikes Peak rules, but will be a nice bit faster and is the official version of the last race. It would be cool for a Windows user to confirm if it works.
Ok, tomorrow I will repeat one of the simulations done for Daytona, so I can compare the results.

What is new? Different mesh? Where is it different?

@Machin: is CoM/CoP 1.8m confirmed?

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 21:39
@Machin: is CoM/CoP 1.8m confirmed?
Yes, Virtual Stopwatch is now updated for the new CoG, link; VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

I have also adjusted the air density to match Pikes Peak, so run times are now slightly slower than they were (you lose drag, but also a lot of downforce), but the trade-off between drag and downforce is pretty much the same as it was; i.e you still want a lot of downforce... :D

We also now have more power from the hybrid system, to compensate for the loss of power from the ICE due to the lack of air density: that means for full power you are still looking for the same intake and exhaust pressures and cooling flow as for previous rounds. (>0Pa.m^2 intake, <4.5Pa.m^2 exhaust and >3.0m^3/sec cooling flow). Convenient? Yes. :wink:

I really cannot wait to see the evolution of the cars... 8)