2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 18:28
godlameroso wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 17:17
Desperate for what, money is money. Racing point is sponsored by fancy tap water. Carlos Sainz is sponsored by non-alcoholic beer. The chocolate drinks company thinks throwing money at McLaren for advertisement will have decent ROI, that's their business. If someone gave you money and product for advertisement real estate, would you decline it just because it's a chocolate drink?
ron would decline it. as he did not want the mclaren brand to become watered down to some 'free for all' canvas but maintain a certain 'elitist' aura around it.

I'm not saying that i agree with Ron, and that time has gone, but i feel this is going the other opposite.
And what Force india does is their business, it doesn't mean Mclaren should do something awkward.

I well remember the time that there was serious speculation about Sony becoming a sponsor and being prominent on the car. Much better imho if that would have been the case. Samsung, Apple, Diesel. stuff like that.
Like Ground Effect has written, Ron allowed Sensodyne branding on the car. Toothpaste is also something you dont really asociate with a motorsport. Ofcourse its odd to see something like this on the car, but money is money and its better to have partners, than being without them.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 18:33
Manoah2u wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Desperate for what, money is money. Racing point is sponsored by fancy tap water. Carlos Sainz is sponsored by non-alcoholic beer. The chocolate drinks company thinks throwing money at McLaren for advertisement will have decent ROI, that's their business. If someone gave you money and product for advertisement real estate, would you decline it just because it's a chocolate drink?
ron would decline it. as he did not want the mclaren brand to become watered down to some 'free for all' canvas but maintain a certain 'elitist' aura around it.

I'm not saying that i agree with Ron, and that time has gone, but i feel this is going the other opposite.
And what Force india does is their business, it doesn't mean Mclaren should do something awkward.

I well remember the time that there was serious speculation about Sony becoming a sponsor and being prominent on the car. Much better imho if that would have been the case. Samsung, Apple, Diesel. stuff like that.
Never heard about the Sony speculation/rumour. How long ago was that?
The trumors were hot when Honda reunited with Mclaren.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

RonDennis
RonDennis

Manoah2u wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Ron would probably decline anything. I really don't know what's wrong with the sponsor. It's a freaking chocolate drink. The only serious speculation about Sony becoming a sponsor was probably in your head. Sony is a major sponsor of the Champions League, they're not interested in McLaren.

adrianjordan

They sponsor a performance speedboat as well....not sure what else they do as they don't even have an entry on Wikipedia that I can find!!

I wonder if they are hoping to use motorsport, and similar, to do for them what it did for Red Bull...

Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Apparently they are also sponsoring Millwall FC....

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

RonDennis
RonDennis

Mansell89
Mansell89

The high calibre sponsorship has long gone.

There’s hardly a plethora of top Brands headlining on cars. Red Bull is a crap energy drink, Rich energy is a crap energy drink (Red Bulls advantage was that they were the first to make it big), Force India looks pretty tacky, Williams had an alcoholic drink.

It’s just the way of the world these days. McLaren has to move with the times.

I’d love to see Apple or Sony etc etc on there, but the reality is F1 doesn’t provide that hook for them at the moment, for whatever reason.

I’d like to see a couple of clothing brands combined with technology. Great liveries and great attire!

The Adidas Apple Mac-Laren
Reebok Red Bull Honda

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ah yes, high quality sponsors like alcohol and tobbaco, much better for you than crap energy drinks.,..

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

After the 2017 season amazon series, I had felt there was an outside chance of sponsorship deal happening. That would have been grand.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Interesting that McLaren have signed another drinks company....so that’s now 3 with Coca-Cola (still listed on their website however no confirmation they’ve extended their deal), Estrella Gallicia and now Huski. You’d think they would be a conflict for the different entities!

Either way if this is a rear wing sponsor that’s a good coup for McLaren as at present it seems they have many smaller deals therefore this larger sponsor can only be beneficial money wise and less blank space on the car

adrianjordan

ScottR267 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 23:59
Interesting that McLaren have signed another drinks company....so that’s now 3 with Coca-Cola (still listed on their website however no confirmation they’ve extended their deal), Estrella Gallicia and now Huski. You’d think they would be a conflict for the different entities!

Either way if this is a rear wing sponsor that’s a good coup for McLaren as at present it seems they have many smaller deals therefore this larger sponsor can only be beneficial money wise and less blank space on the car
Huski make chocolate drinks, the other two don't. Coca-Cola make soft drinks, have a spring water brand and an energy drink brand, the other two don't. Estrella Gallicia make a non-alcoholic beer, the other two don't.

It's actually quite clever jigsawing of sponsors when you look at it like that!!

KingHamilton01

ScottR267 wrote:

Why, they all pay for a spot on the car, the bigger it is the more they pay and none of them are aiming for the same market, milkshake, non alcoholic beverage and coke! don't really see how they conflict each other if they get what they want out of sponsoring McLaren?
McLaren Mercedes

Macklaren
Macklaren

Chocolate milkshake is better than crypto currency (Red Bull's new sponsor)... I think...

RonDennis
RonDennis

ScottR267 wrote:

Well, rear wing doesn't say that much. Let's wait and see where the stickers are placed exactly.

ringo

Mansell89 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 22:32
The high calibre sponsorship has long gone.

There’s hardly a plethora of top Brands headlining on cars. Red Bull is a crap energy drink, Rich energy is a crap energy drink (Red Bulls advantage was that they were the first to make it big), Force India looks pretty tacky, Williams had an alcoholic drink.

It’s just the way of the world these days. McLaren has to move with the times.

I’d love to see Apple or Sony etc etc on there, but the reality is F1 doesn’t provide that hook for them at the moment, for whatever reason.

I’d like to see a couple of clothing brands combined with technology. Great liveries and great attire!

The Adidas Apple Mac-Laren
Reebok Red Bull Honda
I think these new sponsors are better accepted and not considered bad associations. The past of F1 was basically riddled with Cigarette, Oil and Alcohol sponsorship (probably over 75% of sponsors in F1 whole history was oil and cigarette and alcohol?) Today these would be bad associations.
Yep Dinsosaur Juice, Booze and Cancer sticks.. not so high caliber when you think about it..
For Sure!!