Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

This was probably mentioned before, but could the stacked wastegate pipes be an attempt to blow the exhaust gases as close as possible to the rear wing in order to create downforce?

PhillipM
PhillipM

It seems to be a strange philosophy moving stuff down from the engine cover to the sidepods - and I know a lot of you are saying to clean up the airflow to the new rear wing - but the taller, wider rear wings this year should be *less* affected by airflow from the engine cover area, not more.
That's why everyone else has moved more cooling up there out of the sidepods.

I can only think that Ferrari had a lot more weight up there last year than some other cars, and that was causing their issues with tyres at some circuits, so maybe they've gone for lower CoG - they still have less sidepod area when you consider the loss of the top inlets.
They have gone to some effort to clean up the rear though, the sidepods are tighter there, McL style wishbones, etc - so maybe they managed to get a good link between the diffuser and wing with the exhaust stacks or some other trick people have missed and are driving the wing harder than most to keep the wing and diffuser in synergy.
If so we'll find out because they won't be able to reduce wing levels much for low downforce circuits, and if not it was just CoG related.
Last edited by PhillipM on 15 Feb 2019, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:18
LM10 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:05
Vanja! Where have you been? I missed your very interesting aerodynamic analyses. :) Welcome back. =D>
Cheers, mate. Lot of work in the past few months, not over yet. :) I'll try to be more active, but can't promise anything.

Do we have any better photo of barge boards? They've done a lot to hide them with bad lighting.
Good news, mate! Will look for your comments. Good luck with your work. And now back to topic. :lol:

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 16:52
wuzak wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 16:45
Is it me, or does the wheelbase look a touch shorter?
I felt that way too; also lots of rake - let’s see if they run it that way on track.
yes, the car has clearly more rake than in 2018. It seems that other cars have choosen a different path.

Mr.G

Just will amateur guess - lot of things indicates that they are trying to run the RW pretty hard:

- reduced air intake (to allow lot of air flow for the RW)
- reinforced DRS actuator (if the RW works harder, open an hold opened the flap will be harder too)
- "double barel" waste gate (attempt for energizing the airflow underneath the RW?)
- may be some FW cooperation?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mamba
Mamba

jumpingfish wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:01
I'm not sure I did it correctly, photos were taken at different angles a bit. It seems wheelbase shorter than SF70h :wtf: Can anyone make a comparison too? https://pp.userapi.com/c849024/v8490241 ... kMXSlk.jpg
The different angles throws this comparison off. The longer wheelbase was one of SF-71's strengths so I doubt they changed that. The perspective creates the illusion of it being different. Plus the different liveries also plays a part in tricking ones eyes to seeing lengths shorter or longer.

MAMBA

dans79

PhillipM wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:56
It seems to be a strange philosophy moving stuff down from the engine cover to the sidepods - and I know a lot of you are saying to clean up the airflow to the new rear wing - but the taller, wider rear wings this year should be *less* affected by airflow from the engine cover area, not more.
Based on what I have seen so far, my assumption is that they aren't able to seal the floor as well as last year, and have lost some floor/diffuser generated down force. Thus to make up from this they are trying to work the new rear wing harder.
201 105 104 9 9 7

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 19:13
yes, the car has clearly more rake than in 2018. It seems that other cars have choosen a different path.
We won't know that for sure till we have seen it running on track.
201 105 104 9 9 7

jumpingfish

Mamba wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 19:46
The different angles throws this comparison off. The longer wheelbase was one of SF-71's strengths so I doubt they changed that. The perspective creates the illusion of it being different. Plus the different liveries also plays a part in tricking ones eyes to seeing lengths shorter or longer.

MAMBA
I think you're right, Giorgio Piola and Franco Nugnes wrote about increasing wheelbase for 25mm

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Zynerji

bblundell72 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:31
Cant remember if blown axles are forbbiden now.
Yup, blown axles are banned now.

They can still vent out through the face of the brake shroud, and thus out of the rim face i believe...

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 20:04
bblundell72 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:31
Cant remember if blown axles are forbbiden now.
Yup, blown axles are banned now.

They can still vent out through the face of the brake shroud, and thus out of the rim face i believe...
everyone will be trying what Merc was doing last year!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Redragon

What feels odd is after last years mirrors which were at the presentation and Redbull copying the concept this year they don't have them on this year presentation. So they might have something even more innovative on that area?

Cedo
Cedo

Why are the cooling brakes holes so big? Would they try to blow some air through?[https://images.spot.im/image/upload/q_7 ... d7ac0ca302
Is that Glock?

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 19:49
PhillipM wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 18:56
Based on what I have seen so far, my assumption is that they aren't able to seal the floor as well as last year, and have lost some floor/diffuser generated down force. Thus to make up from this they are trying to work the new rear wing harder.
Wouldn’t going such a radical way by maximizing airflow to RW because of the disability of sealing the floor and diffuser mean that they wouldn’t be able to do any upgrades at all on floor and diffuser? I think they would have even changed the concept to generate floor and diffuser downforce instead of compensating it in such a way.