2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I never understood why there was so much trash talking against Mclaren. Sure they had problems after 2012 till 2018 but every team had their bad years and good years. I am pretty sure Mclaren is much better than they think.

charliesmithhd

Hope they do high speed runs today to see if they can get into the 17s, most, if not all running today has been on the yellow tyres so far

Xero

ALO_Power wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 16:29
Wondering if the floor suffered damage during Norris' little gravel excursion at morning. The car bounced quite violently.
Quite possibly. They may have changed it over the break as they were quite late in returning after it.

Currently on another race sim sticking with the C2s throughout, mirroring what Sainz did yesterday. Don't have the stint times, but the lap times I've clocked on the official live timing are roughly the same. Just pitted and now on 3rd and final stint.

Edit: Seems to have abandoned that final stint after 2 laps, now in the pits.

charliesmithhd

Mark Hughes saying Toro Rosso and Renault behind mclaren and alfa

Xero

Would seem that way right now, still really hard to gauge it.

100 laps now for Lando, he's just been pounding round and round on the C2s all afternoon.

bauc

Xero wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:16

100 laps now for Lando, he's just been pounding round and round on the C2s all afternoon.
He is on the C1 currently

16:14 Tyre choice on track:

C1: Norris
C2: Stroll
C3: Giovinazzi, Russell, Hulkenberg, Leclerc
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

charliesmithhd

Have they tested c5 yet?

Xero

bauc wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:18
Xero wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:16

He is on the C1 currently

16:14 Tyre choice on track:

C1: Norris
C2: Stroll
C3: Giovinazzi, Russell, Hulkenberg, Leclerc
GPToday has him on C2s, but I guess it's quite hard for them to spot the difference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Guys, could anybody clarify for me? I'm sure we've all seen the rear wing McLaren is running at the tests. Would that be categorized as a conventional Barcelona (and similar tracks) rear wing, or is it a low downforce edition for like Montreal etc?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McG

Darth-Piekus wrote:
I never understood why there was so much trash talking against Mclaren. Sure they had problems after 2012 till 2018 but every team had their bad years and good years. I am pretty sure Mclaren is much better than they think.
The trash talking was all Honda fans thinking McLaren made a dog every single year since 2013. Honda fans then argued against science e.g GPS data, that showed McLaren were very fast in the corners.

Last year McLaren made a dog from hell, but still they finished higher than they would have with a Honda, but Honda fans don't accept facts, they love PR though.

Also the complaining comes from disillusioned McLaren fans who demand personal satisfaction for some instant good feels. Doesn't work like that bro.

If there is an improvement this year, even a small one, there should be less complaining. It's already starting to subside, mostly everyone complaining is being called out, even being called a troll.

Onwards and upwards McLaren.
Last edited by McG on 21 Feb 2019, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

charliesmithhd

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:24
Guys, could anybody clarify for me? I'm sure we've all seen the rear wing McLaren is running at the tests. Would that be categorized as a conventional Barcelona (and similar tracks) rear wing, or is it a low downforce edition for like Montreal etc?
High downforce rear wing

Xero

McG wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:24
Darth-Piekus wrote:
The trash talking was all Honda fans thinking McLaren made a dog every single year since 2013. Honda fans then argued against science e.g GPS data, that showed McLaren were very fast in the corners.

Last year McLaren made a dog from hell, but still they finished higher than they would have with a Honda, but Honda fans don't accept facts, they love PR though.

Also the complaining comes from disillusioned McLaren fans who demand personal satisfaction for some instant good feels. Doesn't work like that bro.

If there is an improvement this year, even a small one, there should be less complaining. It's already starting to subside, mostly everyone complaining is being called out, even being called a troll.

Onwards and upwards McLaren.
Completely agree.

munudeges
munudeges

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Are you aware of how far they actually fell and where they've been since 2015?

charliesmithhd

munudeges wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:28
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Are you aware of how far they actually fell and where they've been since 2015?
The results from Hungary and Monaco during the Honda years speak from themselves

RonDennis
RonDennis

charliesmithhd wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:02
Mark Hughes saying Toro Rosso and Renault behind mclaren and alfa
Everybody is saying something. It all doesn't make much sense to me. I really find it difficult to see any logic in all the runs so far (from all teams). The only thing I read is that the McLaren looks much more stable on track, so that will probably mean it's a good baseline. McLaren has always been great with development during the season, but last year it simply wasn't possible to add performance because of the mistake they made. I think we will see good progress during the year, especially when Seidl en Key will find their way. I'm expecting a lot from Seidl, seems like great leader with great technical knowledge.

But, realistically, the best that can be hoped for McLaren in 2019 is a return to respectability. This team has fallen a long way behind the best in most of the key areas – and this was something that was disguised by the very real shortfalls of the Honda powerplants 2015-17. But the clues were there in 2014 when McLaren ran a Mercedes power unit in the first year of the hybrid formula and was over 1sec off the pace of the works Mercedes, and significantly adrift of the identically-powered Williams.

Fast-forward into 2018 and McLaren was over 1sec off the identically-powered Red Bull, and significantly adrift of the Enstone Renault.

As the team awaits the arrival of Key, the returning Pat Fry is working hand-in-hand with Peter Prodromou and Andrea Stella in the engineering group, but without anything like the resource of the top three teams.

A good baseline car without an inherent aerodynamic flaw would be a respectable starting point for the rebuilding of a team that has proved a little like an attractive-looking classic car apparently just needing a little bit of tidying up. A deeper look reveals McLaren's recovery as a much bigger – and more expensive – project.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... ectability

I fully agree with this.
Last edited by RonDennis on 21 Feb 2019, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.