Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
muramasa
muramasa

Re: Red Bull RB15

santos wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:06
Could this be something related with the rumor of vibrations? Perhaps they are trying to make the rear more rigid.
Jeez once you learn one thing you apply it to everything, so how about those bargeboards, side wings and rear wings flying off on the other cars, are they due to vibration as well perhaps? It's just that RB15's diffuser or side connection is too fragile requiring re-design that's it.

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 20:24
What? It very much is an outlet, it's as clear as day to see from the rear.
Yeah...do some people not explore and look at other pics but only judge from one studio pic? On that studio pic it's shadow cast over it which makes it look like opening but it's not, opening is on the rear and also on some day they ran without the duct but with bulged cover.

PhillipM
PhillipM

muramasa wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 20:47
santos wrote:
Could this be something related with the rumor of vibrations? Perhaps they are trying to make the rear more rigid.
Jeez once you learn one thing you apply it to everything, so how about those bargeboards, side wings and rear wings flying off on the other cars, are they due to vibration as well perhaps?
Quite probably, yes, it's generally vibrations that cause peak loadings and fatigue :wink:

santos
santos

muramasa wrote:
santos wrote:
Jeez once you learn one thing you apply it to everything, so how about those bargeboards, side wings and rear wings flying off on the other cars, are they due to vibration as well perhaps? It's just that RB15's diffuser or side connection is too fragile requiring re-design that's it.

PhillipM wrote:
Yeah...do some people not explore and look at other pics but only judge from one studio pic? On that studio pic it's shadow cast over it which makes it look like opening but it's not, opening is on the rear and also on some day they ran without the duct but with bulged cover.
Easy... i'm just asking. If i make a question it's because i don't know.

Capharol
Capharol

santos wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 22:10
muramasa wrote:
santos wrote:

PhillipM wrote:
don't get yourself to mixed up about it santos, he reacted the same way to me
muramasa is a selfpronounced Honda-guru .... don't ask questions or don't think different..... hell don't even breath when he is online

RonDennis
RonDennis

santos wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 22:10
muramasa wrote:
santos wrote:

PhillipM wrote:
According to Motorsport Italia they tried it because of the vibrations of the Honda engine, which seems likely if you look at the places it's connected to.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... a/4341919/

bigblue

RonDennis wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 02:14
According to Motorsport Italia they tried it because of the vibrations of the Honda engine, which seems likely if you look at the places it's connected to.
Umm, it's connected to the exhaust (of the engine) ? Why would you connect the diffuser to a (supposedly) vibrating engine ?

foneFanatiq

bigblue wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 02:18
RonDennis wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 02:14
Umm, it's connected to the exhaust (of the engine) ? Why would you connect the diffuser to a (supposedly) vibrating engine ?
:lol: Very. Very good point

Manfer
Manfer

The rods connect the base of the central pillar holding the rear wing to the base mounts of the wing. This could have been done to restrict movement of the rear wing or they wanted to test something or It might have also been that these parts would have gone over the design fatigue cycles and might have been on its last legs. A quick fix solution to reinforce the wing till the end of testing.

roon
roon

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:42
I thought that but I've had a good look at all the photo's and can't spot any sensor wires, they look just like a piece of ally bar with two rose joints slapped in either end. Maybe they're having some floor flutter/vibration and looking to see if stiffening it helps.
I agree. Alternatively, perhaps there was a concern about excessive deflection.

godlameroso

Perhaps an attempt to dissipate the resonance of the exhaust into the floor. They didn't run it in the end, will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 04:33
Perhaps an attempt to dissipate the resonance of the exhaust into the floor. They didn't run it in the end, will be interesting to see what they come up with.
It ran on track. Will Buxton pointed it out during testing.

I doubt very much it is to do with PU vibrations, other than maybe a resonance in the chassis(even that seems unlikely) TR was going faster than RB and had none of these so called PU vibration issues. Are we saying the TR chassis is better than RBs because with the PU vibrating all over the place they obviously cant turn up the power?

Not to mention no team was running full power. RB ran with the supports for a bit and then removed them from what I read. Maybe they were checking wing flex with and with out it.

Note I'm not saying there aren't vibration issues, there could be. I just dont think we see them at this test.

NathanOlder

They were definitely running with those supports for a good few hours.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vanja #66

Struts are there to stiffen the diffuser, excessive deflection is known to cause (sometimes serious) performance drop. It has nothing to do with stiffening rear wing, exhaust or anything else, those kinds of struts would be placed on different locations.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

henry

The struts connect the diffuser top surface to the gearbox via the central rear wing support. The rear wing support forks around the exhaust.

So the struts connect the diffuser to the chassis at additional points compared with how it was before. It seems very likely this is for stiffening, whether against inertial loads or aerodynamic loads only Red Bull know.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus