[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

LVDH wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 10:24
Interesting rear wing mounts. Looks like you are squeezing every bit of downforce out of it. This means you are not having any trouble in front?
Yes, I will use swan neck supports.
I re-used some concepts from the 2016 and 2017 car.
Now I am trying to make the car more balanced.

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 10:13
This is a stolen picture of the in the pits during testing.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... PP_box.jpg

I hope to see stolen pictures of the other cars too :D
Nice... in every picture you post of your car it just looks “right”... if that was in Racecar Engineering you’d swear it was a design from an established builder.

I was thinking about your good point earlier about the low pressure region under the rear wing and how this helps pull air through the heat exchangers... could someone struggling for cooling extend their outlets closer to the rear wing to exploit this effect... for them it might be something worth trying...?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 19:03
CAEdevice wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 10:13
This is a stolen picture of the in the pits during testing.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... PP_box.jpg

I hope to see stolen pictures of the other cars too :D
Nice... in every picture you post of your car it just looks “right”... if that was in Racecar Engineering you’d swear it was a design from an established builder.
Yes, I think that to design a realistic car is much more funny. I happend to do a FEM simulation tu be sure a pillar was ok on my MVRC car. I am an old (42 :shock: ) mechanical engineer but when I was young I used to think about a motorsport career. Now I design hydraulic presses, sheet metal lifters, dental screws and electric drills, but the passion for cars has remained.

machin

Did you manage to progress with your plan of 3D printing your design? That would make a nice show piece...

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 23:58
Did you manage to progress with your plan of 3D printing your design? That would make a nice show piece...
The project is still incomplete: on one hand I would like to add some more details (engine with removable hood, brakes, ...) on the other I finally have three versions of the car (efficiency, high downforce, Pikes Peak) and I do not know which choose (certainly not the Pikes Peak setup because I do not like the extra wings)

CAEdevice

Some other stolen pictures.

The car has been submitted... but it is illegal! I will need to send another version later (the not legal detail is visible in the picture above)

EDIT: I re-submitted the car, the file is "CAEdevice_Race05_Submission02(3).zip".
The not legal detail was the visibility of a small part of the rear sospension from above (first picture on the left).

variante

Very nice car, CAEdevice! But i guess we'll have to wait some more time to see its wings... The front one might look very interesting, i suspect. Interesting use of the suspension cover too.

I'll reveal mine tomorrow evening or monday; I'm still running simulations. The car is not going to look as wild as, perhaps, someone is expecting. Also, the new rules look like a small chance, but they are actually a lot of work; in just two weeks, fine tuning was not possible for me.

I'll talk about such changes in an upcoming article, where i'll probably show a lot of the car... Hopefully, i won't be alone in this!

If JJR has worked even just half as intensively as I did in the last two weeks, he will still be ahead during this last race. Otherwise, I might have a chance.

machin

variante wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 03:42
If JJR has worked even just half as intensively as I did in the last two weeks, he will still be ahead during this last race.
I am wondering if we can work out your Pikes Peak aero coefficients from this comment....

At Daytona
Variante = VAR
JJR = VARx A

Therefore at Pikes Peak:
(VAR x A) + B/2 = VAR + B

The ClA of Variante at Daytona was -7.834... JJR was -8.3. Given the above I think the Cl.A of Variante at Pikes Peak might be -8.766....? 🧐

😂😂😂

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 10:21
variante wrote:
If JJR has worked even just half as intensively as I did in the last two weeks, he will still be ahead during this last race.
I am wondering if we can work out your Pikes Peak aero coefficients from this comment....

At Daytona
Variante = VAR
JJR = VARx A

Therefore at Pikes Peak:

The ClA of Variante at Daytona was -7.834... JJR was -8.3. Given the above I think the Cl.A of Variante at Pikes Peak might be -8.766....? 🧐

😂😂😂
I don't think so... the rear PikesPeak wing by itself gives a delta Cl.A bigger than 1 (1.25 if it works in the right way to help cooling and diffuser). But I don't want to reveal absolute numbers...

My car will presented in a few hours ;)

CAEdevice

Since I will be riding my bike in 10 minutes... here is placeholder for the images of the car for Pikes Peak:

Last edited by CAEdevice on 24 Feb 2019, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

machin

“Caedevice” wrote:I don't think so.
My mistake was to assume that “effort” is directly proportional to Cl.A. 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 12:05
“Caedevice” wrote:I don't think so.
My mistake was to assume that “effort” is directly proportional to Cl.A. 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂
Just translate the results up by 1 ("Pikes Peak effect") and your assumption may be correct ;)

variante

machin wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 10:21
variante wrote:

At Daytona
Variante = VAR
JJR = VARx A

Therefore at Pikes Peak:

😂😂😂
Ehmmmm nice try 😂 but the numbers are going to be a bit higher...

CAEdevice

Here she is:

variante

Bombastic car! Super aggressive front end, and wings everywhere!
You might end up with more downforce than i expected...which might be a problem for me...