2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KingHamilton01

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Bisonas wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 22:11
I dont think tyre degradation would be an issue this year for any team.
Tyres this year,except of the c3 i think, are supposed to last longer and have a wider working window than last year.
The thing is that FIA and Pirelli decided to abandon the last year philosophy of aiming for one softer than usual compound at many races.
In 2019 they will always have harder options to deal with, meaning that one stop races will be a very common thing.
The difference will be that it will be one stop races with drivers able to push the tyres much more than before.
All teams i think more or less will get on top of that and be able to push the tyres from early on.
Its a good thing that we expect to see much less Tyre saving and much less fuel saving than last year.

In general all will be about, Aero efficiency, Downforce levels, suspensions and engines.
All the above will dictate the cornering speeds, traction levels, top speeds and drivability.

I have a good feeling about the Renault engine this year, and i trust Mclaren on the Mechanical side of things.
I don't trust them so much on the Aero side, after last year, but i expect them to do much better this year.
So far it seems ok to me. Not spectacular but i haven't seen anything to make me pessimistic, yet. :)
Good Post, I would like to think that key might be able to help give them some inspiration on the aero side of things, I wonder how much influence he had over this season's TR? but no doubt heading in another direction aerodynamically will have brought forward new issues. Seem's like the consensus is McLaren have a good baseline to work from but now they need to go away and work on the weakness's in the car.
McLaren Mercedes

McG

I wonder if Key has already had an influence on this McLaren. Surely he would have been shut off at STR as soon as they knew he was jumping ship.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Macklaren
Macklaren

McG wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 23:54
I wonder if Key has already had an influence on this McLaren. Surely he would have been shut off at STR as soon as they knew he was jumping ship.
That would violate the terms of his gardening leave

McG

Yes it would ;)
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mclaren111

Pretty sure he was "consulted" in the hiring of Pat Fry...

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Anybody expecting any surprising updates from the top teams for next week? Something really meaningful and visible...

PhillipM
PhillipM

We're probably going to see a lot of front and rear wings, turning vanes, etc. I know Mclaren already looked at a solution similar to Renaults for the rear wing so we might see that popping up at a few teams, likewise many teams looked at several front wing options and given the new regs everyone is expecting refinements come Melbourne.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 22:15
We're probably going to see a lot of front and rear wings, turning vanes, etc. I know Mclaren already looked at a solution similar to Renaults for the rear wing so we might see that popping up at a few teams, likewise many teams looked at several front wing options and given the new regs everyone is expecting refinements come Melbourne.
A bit off topic, Andrew Green, TD of RP suggested that the bargeboards are the real areas they can play with in the development race. He implied the new rules really make the front wings restricted, with not much development opportunities.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Oh there's going to be new parts of the turning vanes/frontmost bargeboards, 100%
Mclaren might even diverge a bit here as they're not just turning the turbulant flow out from the front wheels but attempting to condition some of it.

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

James Key will start working at McLaren on March 25th according to Formula 1's website and Andreas Seidl will start on May 1st according to McLaren's website. It'll be interesting to see how Key influences development and updates to the car because he will have to adjust to the team very quickly.

McG

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 01:07
James Key will start working at McLaren on March 25th according to Formula 1's website and Andreas Seidl will start on May 1st according to McLaren's website. It'll be interesting to see how Key influences development and updates to the car because he will have to adjust to the team very quickly.
I've convinced myself that Key has already had an influence on this car. Or is F1 not the Piranha Club anymore.

One of the first F1 related books I read (apart from the big hardback history books) along with Beyond the Limit - Sid Watkins.

mclaren111

ESPN:

Laurence Edmondson & Nate Saunders
Quickest lap time: 1:18:431 (Day Four, C4 tyre)
Total laps: 440 (6th out of 10)

You can tell McLaren is serious about the humble approach it has adopted in relation to the coming season -- we've heard none of the bravado which accompanied previous winters and the team was perhaps one of the quietest all week. Maybe that was because there was no Fernando Alonso in the car, but the team seemed to have gone out of its way not to make a song and dance about its solid start to pre-season. McLaren is realistic about the task at hand and the forlorn expression on Carlos Sainz's face after his first day in the car suggests he is starting to appreciate the scale of it.

Although it set some times which looked impressive at face value, deeper analysis suggests McLaren is still at the lower end of the order at this point in the year. But there are reasons the team can be happy. Most notably, and likely to be of most relief, is that McLaren has enjoyed a fairly ordinary test so far in terms of reliability -- this week there was no repeat of the long, alarming delays of recent years which ate into potential track time. It had a slightly late start on Wednesday and Lando Norris beached his car in the gravel on Thursday morning, but had you offered those two examples as the team's most significant stoppages going into the week it probably would have gleefully accepted. It's clearly a work in progress, but there are glimpses of that progress and that's the best pre-season news McLaren could have hoped for at this stage.

Rated 8th a this stage by these guys... Let's hope they got it wrong...

Full article... http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/who-039- ... ing-217533

godlameroso

If that figure came from someone using pirelli's figure for theoretical best lap, toss it in the trash. That figure says nothing.

The middle of the car has been free to develop since 2017, I've made a big deal about it ever since, and still think that's the area to focus on. The bargeboards contribute to 1/4th of the total downforce of these cars.

McLaren has the right idea, they maximized the surface area, and the boomerang wing has a lot of potential. It just needs development, all teams that have developed the bargeboards have found chunks of time.

Force India, Red Bull, Ferrari, Alpha Romeo, and Mercedes all kept finding chunks of time with each bargeboard upgrade.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 12:33
If that figure came from someone using pirelli's figure for theoretical best lap, toss it in the trash. That figure says nothing.

The middle of the car has been free to develop since 2017, I've made a big deal about it ever since, and still think that's the area to focus on. The bargeboards contribute to 1/4th of the total downforce of these cars.

McLaren has the right idea, they maximized the surface area, and the boomerang wing has a lot of potential. It just needs development, all teams that have developed the bargeboards have found chunks of time.

Force India, Red Bull, Ferrari, Alpha Romeo, and Mercedes all kept finding chunks of time with each bargeboard upgrade.
Green agrees with you...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/barg ... e/4341218/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team:

etusch » 24 Feb 2019, 09:43

Redbull looks very fast at turns compared to McLaren. Of course we don't know what McLaren are doing at this short video. But good sign.

https://youtu.be/cmOdnRu96ag

Looks to me like we are on the harder White tyre as well...