2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Del Boy
Del Boy

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

bauc wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 13:23
How exactly this relates to Mclaren?
Good question. However on day 3 + 4 of testing the McLaren FW looked very similar to Ferrari and Alfa's. I thought at the time it probably means some teams are/were aware of this solution just the difference in balance and DF wasn't clear but worth exploring?

bauc

Del Boy wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 13:59
bauc wrote:
Good question. However on day 3 + 4 of testing the McLaren FW looked very similar to Ferrari and Alfa's. I thought at the time it probably means some teams are/were aware of this solution just the difference in balance and DF wasn't clear but worth exploring?
Mclaren's FW concept is more similar to Ferrari's but not as ''extreme'' so I still don't know why this is posted here. In general the FW concept determines the hole shape of the car behind it as the FW is the first part of the car that is influenced by the air-resistance, changing that is a big task, so with 2-3 months work you basically designing a B spec car
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

charliesmithhd

bauc wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 14:09
Del Boy wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 13:59
bauc wrote:

Mclaren's FW concept is more similar to Ferrari's but not as ''extreme'' so I still don't know why this is posted here. In general the FW concept determines the hole shape of the car behind it as the FW is the first part of the car that is influenced by the air-resistance, changing that is a big task, so with 2-3 months work you basically designing a B spec car
Surely you have answered your own question. Mclaren may have to have a new concept introduced later if it turn out the extreme fw approach yields more benefits

charliesmithhd

Confirmed, Alonso not taking part in test

RonDennis
RonDennis

charliesmithhd wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 14:58
Confirmed, Alonso not taking part in test
I thought that was already pretty clear.

proteus

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 01:44
proteus wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 17:14
KingHamilton01 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:19

Unfortunately to many bad decisions have been made through a number of season's now and this goes back to when Whitmarsh was here and then it has continued. Now I feel McLaren are paying for mistakes and having to restructure a team and rebuild there enthusiasm and motivation at the same time cannot be underestimated. Still a lot to be seen at McLaren with Key coming into the team and how he will settle in and how much of immediate impact he can have on car development.

You have to look at the position they are coming from and for me I believe the team has to be looking at 2021 when next major rule and design changes come in, but then the other part to that is do McLaren need to look at there engine situation? Pains me to see Honda now coming towards the front of the grid and we still need a works engine surely? I remember seeing John watson quote it could be 10 years until we see a competitive McLaren again I was adamant that he was wrong but over time realised that he was right and come 2021 that will be roughly that amount of time passed.

Nothing to suggest McLaren will return to the front in 2021 but for now we have to accept whatever progress McLaren make, now I just want them to knuckle down and give these new guys Seidl and Key etc make there mark on the team.
Until they dont get their own B-team, they wont be infront ever again. The current rules are literally killing the privateers, while manufacturers have bought out majority of the field which gives them massive technical/testing advantage and also voting rights - which enables them to shape the rules into their favour.
B team is not what they need, what they need is a works deal whit a serious company like Porsche, Audi, BMW or Toyota and significat financial injection.
In my personal opinion a Toyota deal would be perfect considering usage of their wind tunel and Alonso(who needs to come back)
You still need a B-team to be competitive. Gathering both engine and aero data. You mount experimental pieces on a B-team car, and you can evaluate its performance, without harming your main car.

Interestingly only the 3 teams which are using this tactics are able to win a race for quite a few years in a row now.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

proteus wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 18:50
GoranF1 wrote:
proteus wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 17:14

Until they dont get their own B-team, they wont be infront ever again. The current rules are literally killing the privateers, while manufacturers have bought out majority of the field which gives them massive technical/testing advantage and also voting rights - which enables them to shape the rules into their favour.
B team is not what they need, what they need is a works deal whit a serious company like Porsche, Audi, BMW or Toyota and significat financial injection.
In my personal opinion a Toyota deal would be perfect considering usage of their wind tunel and Alonso(who needs to come back)
You still need a B-team to be competitive. Gathering both engine and aero data. You mount experimental pieces on a B-team car, and you can evaluate its performance, without harming your main car.

Interestingly only the 3 teams which are using this tactics are able to win a race for quite a few years in a row now.
I thought each team was supposed to do their own aero, I agree with the engine info though...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

charliesmithhd

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 18:58
proteus wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

I thought each team was supposed to do their own aero, I agree with the engine info though...
Don’t Redbull and Toro Rosso have the same read end?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

charliesmithhd wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 18:59
Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 18:58
proteus wrote:

Don’t Redbull and Toro Rosso have the same read end?
Yes, that's included in the parts allowed, but they can't use the same front wings, bargeboards, floor etc... Actually, Toro Rosso is said to be using the rear end of the RB14 from last year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

McG

McLaren were data sharing with Force India for a while. Don't know if that's anywhere close to having a B team though.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

PhillipM
PhillipM

That was back when FI was buying Mclaren components and was looking at running the Honda in the back, that died with the switch to Renault motors. Mclaren and Renault have been in talks about it though.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 19:21
Yes, that's included in the parts allowed, but they can't use the same front wings, bargeboards, floor etc... Actually, Toro Rosso is said to be using the rear end of the RB14 from last year.
I’ve not herd that, would it be possible seeing as the teams used different engines last year? Surly the gearbox would be key due to mounting points and that would have to be made to fit the engine

_cerber1

A couple of lines of interview with Carlos, it makes no sense to lay out everything, a lot of empty chatter.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: MCL34 fits the first sector of the Barcelona route, because now the wing is set to a small downforce, and we have a fairly high maximum speed. But we hope that the power of the motor will still be somewhat greater than it is now.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: Apparently, we occupy the sixth or seventh place, but there is no certainty yet.

charliesmithhd

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:02
A couple of lines of interview with Carlos, it makes no sense to lay out everything, a lot of empty chatter.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: MCL34 fits the first sector of the Barcelona route, because now the wing is set to a small downforce, and we have a fairly high maximum speed. But we hope that the power of the motor will still be somewhat greater than it is now.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: Apparently, we occupy the sixth or seventh place, but there is no certainty yet.
6th or 7th in constructors? That’s not good

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:02
Thanks for this, is there a link for the full interview?