2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:09
Thanks for this, is there a link for the full interview?
Yes, but this source is in Russian. Throw?

restless
restless

its translation from interview for spanish channel Movistar - maybe there are more detailed sources from Spain?
Really not much else in russian text.
Sainz thinks 1st sector in Barca is best suited for MCL34
Ah, and "I can give more/better feedback than Lando" :), lacks self-confidence he does not ;)

RonDennis
RonDennis

charliesmithhd wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:04
_cerber1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:02
A couple of lines of interview with Carlos, it makes no sense to lay out everything, a lot of empty chatter.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: MCL34 fits the first sector of the Barcelona route, because now the wing is set to a small downforce, and we have a fairly high maximum speed. But we hope that the power of the motor will still be somewhat greater than it is now.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: Apparently, we occupy the sixth or seventh place, but there is no certainty yet.
6th or 7th in constructors? That’s not good
If they're 6th fastest in Melbourne they have done a good job. People are expecting way too much. You're fighting last years Red Bull, two last years Ferrari's and Renault. It will take time, which McLaren has said several times.

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 13:41
GoranF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 01:44
proteus wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 17:14

Until they dont get their own B-team, they wont be infront ever again. The current rules are literally killing the privateers, while manufacturers have bought out majority of the field which gives them massive technical/testing advantage and also voting rights - which enables them to shape the rules into their favour.
B team is not what they need, what they need is a works deal whit a serious company like Porsche, Audi, BMW or Toyota and significat financial injection.
In my personal opinion a Toyota deal would be perfect considering usage of their wind tunel and Alonso(who needs to come back)
Sounds like a repeat of Honda. Only you want to perpetuate the most painful years...
I said serious, not Honda.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

charliesmithhd wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 14:58
Confirmed, Alonso not taking part in test
Well crap!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jolle
Jolle

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 23:59
diffuser wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

B team is not what they need, what they need is a works deal whit a serious company like Porsche, Audi, BMW or Toyota and significat financial injection.
In my personal opinion a Toyota deal would be perfect considering usage of their wind tunel and Alonso(who needs to come back)
Sounds like a repeat of Honda. Only you want to perpetuate the most painful years...
looking ahead while looking back, F1 always has been about having the right engine. Even during the most restricted period of F1, when RedBull reigned with the Renault V8, they were lucky that Renault made mistakes with Enstone and teamed up with RedBull. They wouldn't have been this successful with Cosworth or even their Ferrari deal from the days before (Ferrari wouldn't have allowed it)

So, being race/championship winning with Renault/Mercedes/Ferrari is out of the question. All three teams have nothing to gain winning in the back of the McLaren.

A good new partner has to have a few trades: a very modern racing department with possibilities to craft this new way of building a racing engine (more towards endurance racing/efficiency then high revving big power). At the moment a few companies come into mind: Toyota and Volkswagen Group (Porsche, VW, Audi, Lambo, etc) and a few with the technical possibilities to set something up or buy into a company who can do that: General Motors, Kia/Hyundai and Ford.

Volkswagen is out, they have too much direct models within the McLaren range. If they would enter they would just buy a factory.
Ford and Toyota are a bit the same with their GT and LFA. Both are also large enough to do a Renault route (again) and take all the marketing instead of just the PU deal.

Leaves GM and Hyundai.Both without a history in F1.

Looking at the amount that Daimler, Fiat/Chrysler and Renault are investing into F1 compared what the extra costs are for owning the team vs just a PU deal, supplying only a PU (like Honda does) doesn't make a lot of sense, as a team you can get prize money, sponsors, use those sponsors to have extra exposure for your brand, etc etc.

So... what could be the "way out"? In my view the best way for McLaren to return to power again is to be taken over (again) by a large other brand to be their high-tech sports car division, like they were with Mercedes (and how Ferrari is part of Fiat, Lambo of VW, AMG-Daimler, etc).

McLaren at the moment is relative cheap, around 2.2 billion and got most of that already in outstanding debt. Ford and GM of course just sold most of their extra brands (Volvo, opel/vauxhaul, Jaguar) so they aren't in the market... but... Geely? Kia?

Jackles-UK

A McLaren BMW tie-up would be a dream come true but it’s likely just that, a dream. As Jolle said, Audi, Porsche & Lambo all compete with McLarens sports car division so I doubt that’ll be a realistic partnership and I suspect any potential future involvement from the VW group will be on a factory level rather than just as a PU supplier.

I think everyone is in limbo until the new engine rules come out (now scheduled for 2022 I believe?). If, as Liberty say they’d like to, they can reduce the prices a lot (to something nearing the V8 era) I can see McLaren having a go themselves.

If the MCL34 is good in S1 of Barcelona then I think that actually bodes quite well. S1 is basically a succession of long, high-speed bends with multiple direction changes which indicates good aero efficiency and stability at speed. S3 for example is all about low speed mechanical grip and this can be improved quite quickly with just set up changes (tyre pressures/spring rates/ballast positioning/anti-roll bar settings etc.).

godlameroso

The solution that McLaren and Red Bull have are the correct ones, Red Bull is just more advanced.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 23:59
diffuser wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

Rofl...Just because the name is different...doesn't mean the results will be.

The problem with Honda was that they with McLaren agreed to a, not very probable, time line for the solution.

M840TR
M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:02
A couple of lines of interview with Carlos, it makes no sense to lay out everything, a lot of empty chatter.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: MCL34 fits the first sector of the Barcelona route, because now the wing is set to a small downforce, and we have a fairly high maximum speed. But we hope that the power of the motor will still be somewhat greater than it is now.
Carlos Sainz Jr.: Apparently, we occupy the sixth or seventh place, but there is no certainty yet.
They've been matching the top cars in the first sectors but loosing several tenths in second and specially third, so it's obvious the car is set up for a low drag/DF philosophy. They'll be hoping to rectify some of the issues with aero upgrades for this week & Melbourne and maybe the upgraded Renault engine could allow them to run more wing as well. Doesn't send off any alarm bells really.

mclaren111

LuisFeF1:

# TechF1 Detail of the different flow routers that Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren have introduced in the front brake lines.

Interesting... Scope for Mclaren to develop...

_cerber1

Bad start of tests, neither time nor run. #-o #-o #-o

BrunoH
BrunoH

a disaster today..

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

We know what happened?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BrunoH wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 13:56
a disaster today..
Still did more laps than Ferrari this morning. Hopefully they can resolve the issue (whatever it is) and continue testing.

Norris? wanted issues, he got them :).