2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I don't think Mclaren are going to be near pole, unless the rain catches the top 3 out, you never know.
However, I do think the car will be a good race car, and I think it could easily be in a position to inherit a podium if some ' hot headed' drivers in red cars and blue cars have a red mist day.

They all count, and points are what pay at the end of the year not starting position.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shader

I think nobody really expects them to be near pole. People expect them to crawl back to head of the midfield for start, and data available is indicating they could be there. What media is putting up is another topic. I think it will also be important to manage the new drivers well. They must not get into conflicting situation like Force India had... plenty of times.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Big Tea wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 00:24
I don't think Mclaren are going to be near pole, unless the rain catches the top 3 out, you never know.
However, I do think the car will be a good race car, and I think it could easily be in a position to inherit a podium if some ' hot headed' drivers in red cars and blue cars have a red mist day.

They all count, and points are what pay at the end of the year not starting position.
Why are some people linking McLaren to poles? They were almost last at the end of last year. McLaren made major progress. What I also like is that I don’t hear stuff about their great chassis. It’s all aimed at improving and the team looks in much, much better state if you look at the operating site. I think they did an amazing job, much more professional, much more McLaren like.

Big Tea

RonDennis wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 01:00
Big Tea wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 00:24

Why are some people linking McLaren to poles? They were almost last at the end of last year. McLaren made major progress. What I also like is that I don’t hear stuff about their great chassis. It’s all aimed at improving and the team looks in much, much better state if you look at the operating site. I think they did an amazing job, much more professional, much more McLaren like.
That is what I am saying.

They are not going to be 'UP THERE', but, after a couple of years in cloud coco land, look to be 'respectable', which is all we can expect this year. A 'respectable' car is always in with a chance of very good points or in cases where rain strikes, or flags even, there is a chance to sneak a good result in. As I said, they all count, and and or two lucky scores will really help Mclaren, and Mclaren supporters.

The last thing Mclaren need is to go into this season expecting to be in the running for the championship. Best of the rest would be a super result, 5th on merit a very nice stepping stone.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

charliesmithhd wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 00:12
Shader wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 00:10
Autosport continues with anti-McLaren content. I guess they need to be 6s ahead for that to change. However they managed to promote Alfa and Hass up the pecking order. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuZJp5YhP6Y
Pisses me off how when mclaren do a quali sum, they call it glory running for their sponsors, yet they don’t say that for any other team
Yeah but to be fair McLaren have been chasing sponsors, talking themselves up, making PR shambles left right and centre, blaming Honda for everything for the past few years, and falling flat on their faces again and again. Then an engine change, the chance to prove themselves , run alongside red bull and... flat on their faces again making a fundamental error.

Until people see the turn around, on track and in points , they are reaping what they have sowed for the past few years. Cos it has been a mess and built up the hype. It's no surprise people have turned against them.

But hopefully this year we turn over to the next chapter and a new story gets written. But they will have to earn it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

godlameroso

With some well planned and executed updates this car can be made half a second faster by the time they come back later in the year. This car has potential, a big learning curve, to be sure, lots of parts are still very basic and the fact the performance is already where it's at is encouraging. They just need to keep chipping away, the performance will come with the refinement of the chassis.
Saishū kōnā

FW17

I think Barcelona this year will be low 1:15s

Hope the team builds on it and gets into 15s by May

While high speed setup maybe good, hoping they are good at the low speed parts with turn in, kerbs and traction.

_cerber1

I am glad that Carlos noted the change in the chassis for the better, compared with last week.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I find it promising that the aero provides enough DF with current wing levels in the high speed as they are also near the top of the speed traps. Means traction is good too.
Just low speed change of direction and mechanical down force looks a little iffy as per sector 3 lethargic times on softer compounds and continuously losing more on long runs in s3 compared to other top teams.
Hopefully low speed grip can be found relatively easy (no complete aero platform redesign necessary). All in all I’m buoyed by their performance so far. Looks positive from all angles

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Predictions for today, will anyone go faster than Sainz yesterday? I feel that someone from the top 3 might do it, Ferrari and Red Bull seem like obvious candidates as one of their drivers is having the last day of testing.

"Video: Don't take McLaren's pace too seriously " - Autosport

What will they say if other midfield teams cannot match 1:17:1 on C4?

FW17

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 09:39
I find it promising that the aero provides enough DF with current wing levels in the high speed as they are also near the top of the speed traps. Means traction is good too.
Just low speed change of direction and mechanical down force looks a little iffy as per sector 3 lethargic times on softer compounds and continuously losing more on long runs in s3 compared to other top teams.
Hopefully low speed grip can be found relatively easy (no complete aero platform redesign necessary). All in all I’m buoyed by their performance so far. Looks positive from all angles
Getting the suspension system to transfer maximum load to the front wheels on turn in and then immediately transfer the maximum to rear when accelerating out of a corner is something all teams have been to with varying levels of success so it is a design concept and cannot be changed with setup.

Additionally they also want the front suspension to act in some weird ways such as a having the nose down when the brake pedal is released and turn is completed

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

We need to keep in mind that McLaren changed front suspension geometry (copying Mercedes style), it's possible they are not on top of it and need some adjustments. In any case, it's very positive that with an issue they still manage to do respectable laptimes.

max_speed
max_speed

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 09:52
We need to keep in mind that McLaren changed front suspension geometry (copying Mercedes style), it's possible they are not on top of it and need some adjustments. In any case, it's very positive that with an issue they still manage to do respectable laptimes.
i am suspecting the same. after a dog last year , this year is looking promising.they will need some time to sort out balance issues. after last year problems, it is good great that they are testing cornering speed, chassis balance with low DF setup.

mclaren111

Agree... Pat Fry, Stella and PP doing much better this year...

Thank goodness Boullier & Morris is gone....

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

According to SoyMotor, Sainz did a 1:17.503 on C3 before his C4 stint where he did an 1:17:144. If he was on C3 for 1:17.5 that is a good time. Also may show that difference between tire compounds is smaller than Pirelli seems to think (0.3s not 0.6s).

Link for data: https://soymotor.com/articulos/analisis ... ion-960921

EDIT: Looking at their live stream from yesterday, they said it was C4 in the live stream only in the data they show that it was C3. Probably best to believe live stream as C3 is hard to mistake for C4.

So disregard 1:17:5 on C3, it probably didn't happen.