2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

C1's from what I can gather, pace seemed decent enough if it was.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Is it true that there was a bit of an oil leak and a small fire that kept the team in the garage?

Mikey05021984
Mikey05021984

Is there anyone who has the list of "total laps so far by team?
We are doing a lot better compared to last year , if i remember correctly last year we where last in the total laps ranking with only 615 laps after 8 testdays...

bauc

Mikey05021984 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 21:43
Is there anyone who has the list of "total laps so far by team?
We are doing a lot better compared to last year , if i remember correctly last year we where last in the total laps ranking with only 615 laps after 8 testdays...
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

McG

A couple of grand prix distances more than last year. I wonder if they capped the amount of running for cost saving amd rely on sim data more.

I mean what's the reason for Mercedes doing 300+ more.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Just watched Lando's interview after today. Good interview, I like him. From what he says, the team is quite happy with the car as a baseline, and they know what they need to work on. Also I'd say that it's likely he is on a one year contract, or at least that McLaren can sideline him for next year if Alonso wants to return (based on his last sentence).

Should fire a light under their ass, both Sainz and Norris will need to step up if the car looks good. Alonso is knocking.

GoranF1
GoranF1

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:39
Just watched Lando's interview after today. Good interview, I like him. From what he says, the team is quite happy with the car as a baseline, and they know what they need to work on. Also I'd say that it's likely he is on a one year contract, or at least that McLaren can sideline him for next year if Alonso wants to return (based on his last sentence).

Should fire a light under their ass, both Sainz and Norris will need to step up if the car looks good. Alonso is knocking.
I think he and Sainz are on 2 year contracts...i could be wrong.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:42
FittingMechanics wrote:

Just the way he phrased it:
"Yeah, I want to stay in F1 so I'll do the best job that I can and we'll see at the end of the year if it's good enough."

Definitely sounds as if there is an option for him to lose a spot (probably back to reserve driver).

the EDGE
the EDGE

McG wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:29
A couple of grand prix distances more than last year. I wonder if they capped the amount of running for cost saving amd rely on sim data more.

Reliability... unfortunately. Not that it’s poor, that’s what testing is for. Even Merc have been sidelined. They have also been focused on preparing Norris for his first race which has taken a chunk of running away from them I would have thought

There’s plenty to be encouraged about, the cars more competeative than last year, it’s more reliable than last year and the cars responding to set-up changes according to Sainz, so hopefully updates will work as planned this year & McLaren can crack-on with their development program and moving up the grid

They have wealthy backers, wealthy sponsors and good personnel joining in the coming months

I hope McLaren can challenge for places in Q3 this year, but what ever happens I’m still going to be a more optermostic fan than the last few years because if they can’t reach Q3 yet it will surely only be a matter of time before they can

I’m very much looking forward to seeing what Sainz can do in the car tomorrow :D

bauc

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:50
GoranF1 wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

"Yeah, I want to stay in F1 so I'll do the best job that I can and we'll see at the end of the year if it's good enough."

Definitely sounds as if there is an option for him to lose a spot (probably back to reserve driver).
Where can I see the interview?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

bauc wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:10
FittingMechanics wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... ourne.html

Mansell89
Mansell89

Have we got the comparative times for the C3 compound from today? (And C2 if available)

I was quite excited by a C3 lap that Lando did that sat very competitively in the pecking order but just a few mins later everyone started setting lap records on softer rubber so it all kinda got lost in the hype.

roon
roon

Coefficient wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 21:52
I'm a little scared to say it but, this is a decent car. They can build from here hopefully and I'm happy with that given recent years.
I agree, I think they're in for an improvement this year.

Macklaren
Macklaren

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:14
bauc wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:10
FittingMechanics wrote:

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... ourne.html
That was a fascinating interview. I obviously don't know Lando personally but even a basic understanding of body language will tell you that he was holding a lot back and not showing all his cards. In fact, he seemed most open when asked about Fernando putting pressure on him.

I think the team is very very happy internally but Gil has hammered the team about expressing that externally. You can see it in Sainz's interviews as well.

Or maybe it's just my fanboyism hoping...

McG

the EDGE wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:05
McG wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:29

Reliability... unfortunately. Not that it’s poor, that’s what testing is for. Even Merc have been sidelined. They have also been focused on preparing Norris for his first race which has taken a chunk of running away from them I would have thought

There’s plenty to be encouraged about, the cars more competeative than last year, it’s more reliable than last year and the cars responding to set-up changes according to Sainz, so hopefully updates will work as planned this year & McLaren can crack-on with their development program and moving up the grid

They have wealthy backers, wealthy sponsors and good personnel joining in the coming months

I hope McLaren can challenge for places in Q3 this year, but what ever happens I’m still going to be a more optermostic fan than the last few years because if they can’t reach Q3 yet it will surely only be a matter of time before they can

I’m very much looking forward to seeing what Sainz can do in the car tomorrow :D
That's exactly the way I feel.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.