2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

bauc wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:10
FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:50
GoranF1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:42

I think he and Sainz are on 2 year contracts...i could be wrong.
Just the way he phrased it:
"Yeah, I want to stay in F1 so I'll do the best job that I can and we'll see at the end of the year if it's good enough."

Definitely sounds as if there is an option for him to lose a spot (probably back to reserve driver).
Where can I see the interview?
Sainz on a $8m a year (base) deal, signed for 2 years with bonuses on Constructors and Drivers placings. Sainz was on a $1.5m deal at STR with each race driver for the team sharing a $10m prize pot to the percentage of the constructors points they earned that year and an extra bonus for scoring P5 or higher, on a extra $100,000 per place bonus as well. That smile at Singapore earns him a extra $200k for a P4. Thats the standard STR contract.

Norris i hear is on a $3.5m a year (base) deal, Signed for one year with a one year option with the usual bonuses for Constructors and Drivers placing. His pay last year was a lot less at around $150,000 for his F2 services and $1m for his McLaren services.

If Alonso is coming back next year, he will be going to Norris side of the garage, as i am led to believe that Norris is using most Stoffels mechanics and engineers with Fernandos race engineer, and Sainz is using most of Fernandos mechanics and engineers with Stoffels race engineer. We will hear in Australia who is where.

I did hear of a wild rumour that McLaren and Renault have been in discussion about a shared team for their young drivers programme. With young Mclaren guys leading the chassis side, using the spare Mclaren CFD, the spare Renault tunnel time, the Renault rear end and then running a team for €100m a year. In effect a team that Manor should have been, with it operating elsewhere. Bullier to the the lead for this possible project? I doubt it will go ahead, but more wild things have happened, as Honda is scoping out a team for their young drivers and engineers. It will give us the 12 team grid we desperately need if both cast true!

Xero

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:19
Have we got the comparative times for the C3 compound from today? (And C2 if available)

I was quite excited by a C3 lap that Lando did that sat very competitively in the pecking order but just a few mins later everyone started setting lap records on softer rubber so it all kinda got lost in the hype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIDTLD1p0dQ

Autosport completely glossed over that lap, and even had the nerve to put Haas at the front of the midfield for managing a slower lap time on the C4s! They just can't shake that grudge, huh? #-o

mwillems

What was this lap time and on what tyre?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

zoroastar

FittingMechanics wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:42
FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:39
Just watched Lando's interview after today. Good interview, I like him. From what he says, the team is quite happy with the car as a baseline, and they know what they need to work on. Also I'd say that it's likely he is on a one year contract, or at least that McLaren can sideline him for next year if Alonso wants to return (based on his last sentence).

Should fire a light under their ass, both Sainz and Norris will need to step up if the car looks good. Alonso is knocking.
I think he and Sainz are on 2 year contracts...i could be wrong.
"Yeah, I want to stay in F1 so I'll do the best job that I can and we'll see at the end of the year if it's good enough."

Definitely sounds as if there is an option for him to lose a spot (probably back to reserve driver).
i like lando a lot too. hes a lot more mature than i was at his age c:. i wonder why will buxton didnt question him about his glory runs though.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Xero wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 00:53
Mansell89 wrote:
Have we got the comparative times for the C3 compound from today? (And C2 if available)

I was quite excited by a C3 lap that Lando did that sat very competitively in the pecking order but just a few mins later everyone started setting lap records on softer rubber so it all kinda got lost in the hype.

Autosport completely glossed over that lap, and even had the nerve to put Haas at the front of the midfield for managing a slower lap time on the C4s! They just can't shake that grudge, huh? #-o
Yeah, I'm not even saying McLaren is faster than other midfield teams, but it makes no sense to put Haas at the front of the midfield when you're looking at times.

Macklaren wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:42
FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 23:14
bauc wrote:

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... ourne.html
That was a fascinating interview. I obviously don't know Lando personally but even a basic understanding of body language will tell you that he was holding a lot back and not showing all his cards. In fact, he seemed most open when asked about Fernando putting pressure on him.

I think the team is very very happy internally but Gil has hammered the team about expressing that externally. You can see it in Sainz's interviews as well.

Or maybe it's just my fanboyism hoping...

It's clear that McLaren has instructed everyone to downplay all results. Why they haven't done that earlier? No clue at all, because that's where most of the hate for McLaren come from. Their big mouth.

zoroastar

ESPImperium wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 00:46
bauc wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I did hear of a wild rumour that McLaren and Renault have been in discussion about a shared team for their young drivers programme. With young Mclaren guys leading the chassis side, using the spare Mclaren CFD, the spare Renault tunnel time, the Renault rear end and then running a team for €100m a year. In effect a team that Manor should have been, with it operating elsewhere. Bullier to the the lead for this possible project? I doubt it will go ahead, but more wild things have happened, as Honda is scoping out a team for their young drivers and engineers. It will give us the 12 team grid we desperately need if both cast true!
that would be pretty awesome if it actually happened. in the past year it seemed like Zak Brown seemed fairly confident that they would be able to get the "customer team parts" rules changed to benefit teams like Mclaren and Williams though. i wonder if they are having a change of heart. regardless, im sure that customer teams will remain a big benefit for whoever has them.

zoroastar

Xero wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

they are just playing it safe, knowing that haas's performance will likely mirror ferraris car from last year. i dont think that any "stats" come into play when they are talking. and they arent going to risk going out on a limb, and possibly being wrong.

zoroastar

charliesmithhd wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 18:06
zoroastar wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 17:41
Bill wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 13:25
The media is not biased they went along with Mclaren peddling the whole best chassis mantra in 2017 ,when it turned out to be a fallacy they were exposed and discredited they probably resent mclaren for it
yea, thats why by the end of 2017 mclaren were regularly beating williams and force india that had 100 hp more . with a horrible chassis. so the media resents mclaren, but they arent bias? sounds oxymoronic. go back to trolling youtube.
I think that it was closer to 50hp, not 100
i was thinking est. 80 down. but i remember that the honda was running out of battery on some straights, these hybrid PU's are really hard to get a concrete number for in terms of hp. if an engine is losing the total mgu-h on portions of the lap, thats more than 100hp. just trying to think in averages i guess

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I find this interesting from Lando:

"There's not seconds [of improvement] in it, but there's still some tenths within myself and the car," said Norris.
"We can definitely go quicker, but we can't go seconds quicker. We're not far away from our potential, and there's a lot of work to do and then we'll be able to unlock more pace."
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

No doubt, it's been an encouraging 2 weeks. I'm actually not bothered if they show up at Melbourne and 6th, 7th best, as long as they're not a far behind. From all indications, this car is the baseline they wanted and has more or less met their expectations. The development from here on will be crucial, but I think they're up to the challenge.
I also think Pat Fry, who's been out of the game for a while and Andreas Stella have done a commendable job. Hopefully Key will bring more to the table, as we all expect.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Vasconia

Best pre-season test for McLaren in years, this is enough to make me feell more optimistic. Another reason is to see that the team members are no longer giving false expectatives, this is good.

Darth-Piekus

Out of curiosity. Why is there so much hype about James Key? Is he an aerodynamist? If yes is he like the next Andrian Newey?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Xero wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

Haas impressed with 1:17:8 on C4, while Sainz did a 1:17:1 on C4 on Wednesday. Forgot about that I guess.

It's funny, they are starting to warm up to McLaren, Edd Straw said the car is decent.

bauc

Vasconia wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 09:07
Best pre-season test for McLaren in years, this is enough to make me feell more optimistic. Another reason is to see that the team members are no longer giving false expectatives, this is good.
Agreed I have the same vibe as well
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg