2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Morteza wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 19:16
For McLaren fans
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0lsujYXgAEKMos.png
From the testing thread. Morteza posted Sainz's stint today. Looks pretty good.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I did a quick average of the last stint, on C2. I used only the last stint as first and second stint had red flags/boxes in the middle so it's hard to tell if they changed the tires.

C2- 16 lap stint - Average 1:21.645.

Mercedes and Ferrari did 3rd stints on C2 as well, longer stints than McLaren (about 24 laps) and they have average of about 1:21.3s

charliesmithhd

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 21:27
I did a quick average of the last stint, on C2. I used only the last stint as first and second stint had red flags/boxes in the middle so it's hard to tell if they changed the tires.

C2- 16 lap stint - Average 1:21.645.

Mercedes and Ferrari did 3rd stints on C2 as well, longer stints than McLaren (about 24 laps) and they have average of about 1:21.3s
Not too bad, let’s hope Merc and Ferrari weren’t holding everything back in terms of engine modes

RonDennis
RonDennis

Autosport gave the McLaren car a 6 out of 10.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

RonDennis wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 21:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwLcNOOgt9c
Won't bother watching it. I guess it's one of those "CFD in my eyes" videos where they talk about what looks fast.

I'm quite confident if you gave them a car and changed the livery from a top team to a midfield team that they would radically change their comments based on the supposed livery.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 01 Mar 2019, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

dp12
dp12

RonDennis wrote:

Auto sport will be sorry for giving McLaren a 6

McL-H
McL-H

RonDennis wrote:

They are biased. But it’s McLaren’s fault. Should never have gone downhill this much to where fans are cheering for Q3 qualify and battling for 4th place in WCC. They have given too much room for critics to bash them.

Most stupid decision they have taken in recent years was splitting with Honda after so much investment. To become a top team they need factory status... they have none.

I sincerely hope that they will get back to the front. But most of all, I hope they’ll get the McLaren identity back. I feel like it has become such a different team.... it doesn’t breath McLaren anymore. It’s my opinion/feeling, not sure if many others feel that way. I care much less about the team than a year ago, or as I have done for the past 15 years. And it’s due to more than just a lack of results.

Macklaren
Macklaren

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 21:49
RonDennis wrote:

Won't bother watching it. I guess it's one of those "CFD in my eyes" videos where they talk about what looks fast.

I'm quite confident if you gave them a car and changed the livery from a top team to a midfield team that they would radically change their comments based on the supposed livery.
If you really haven't watched the video, that was a remarkably good guess. They said the MCL34 wasn't fast because McLaren and Honda pursued size zero four years ago and that wasn't smart (in their opinion).

Mansell89
Mansell89

IF ....and it’s a big IF...

The engine modes were indeed conservative, that 19 lap stint from McLaren was really competitive on the C2.

Was it part of a longer race sim (ie the final stint) where the fuel had burned down though?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Good test. From what I saw, McLaren should be sure thing in Q2, hopefully even Q3. I would be very surprised if McLaren didn't make it out of Q1.

Looking forward to the season.

EDIT:

I'm watching Kubica ( https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... e_car.html ) , the guy said the opening rounds until F1 returns to Europe will be testing for them, and someone rates them higher than McLaren? Insane. Feel bad for Williams though, this season will probably be extremely tough for them.

thestig84
thestig84

Yet more rubbish from autosport. Summary video of final day of testing put McLaren last but Williams!!?

I don't know what they do out there all day but they could learn plenty from clever guys on here with very through analysis. I have to stop wasting my time watching such rubbish!

charliesmithhd

thestig84 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 01:03
Yet more rubbish from autosport. Summary video of final day of testing put McLaren last but Williams!!?

I don't know what they do out there all day but they could learn plenty from clever guys on here with very through analysis. I have to stop wasting my time watching such rubbish!
Basically he said mclaren made a mistake with the size zero in 2015 with Honda. Wtf has that got to do with this car!

thestig84
thestig84

charliesmithhd wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 01:04
thestig84 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 01:03

Basically he said mclaren made a mistake with the size zero in 2015 with Honda. Wtf has that got to do with this car!
No it's a new video. The large chap, Ed I think. Runs down the whole grid with McLaren just ahead of Williams and just says it looks poor with understeer. Very insightful.... Not!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

thestig84 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 01:09
No it's a new video. The large chap, Ed I think. Runs down the whole grid with McLaren just ahead of Williams and just says it looks poor with understeer. Very insightful.... Not!
We are quite obsessed with the media bashing McLaren, probably we should just ignore it but it's mindboggling.

Honestly I do not understand how they can continue to rate McLaren that low. Sure, midfield is close, but if you analyse the times, McLaren is not 9th. Only reason to put McLaren at 9th is if you completely ignore the times team is putting up, and are going by past performance when McLaren struggled.

From the programme McLaren ran, I doubt very much that Racing Point can be ahead with limited mileage they did, Alfa also didn't look that impressive in race sims. For example this one:

https://twitter.com/tonisokolov1011/sta ... 8000262145
Here is a comparison of Alfa's race sim today against Sainz's race sim. Yes, Sainz did a 3 stopper (not sure why, perhaps to check for cooling/exhaust issues) but the times are fast enough to offset an additional stop. Perhaps they went with a 3 stop because they started on the dev tire so didn't feel it was useful to run a long stint on it. In any case, if you base your ranking on gut feeling and CFD eyes then you can go and say McLaren is 9th, if you base it on facts you cannot (only way you could is if everyone else is sandbagging the whole winter).

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Anyone have McLaren's quickest time on each tyre? C1-C5... or at least from C2, which is more relevant.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.