Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

I'm guessing some coolers need to be sized a little larger.
Honda!

sn809
sn809

dren wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 13:29
I'm guessing some coolers need to be sized a little larger.
Probably but will it affect the Coke bottle on the Redbull or not lol.

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

Adrian Newey will be choking on his quinoa and spitting out his kale smoothie if they start to mess with his coke bottle design.. He will probably get 'jolly upset' and go away to design Boats or Spaceships or something else deserving of his genius.. :D :D :D
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

ispano6

He mentioned shape not size so I think he means the bodywork+ packaging was more aggressive than anticipated and that certain areas of the PU need to be made smaller or tighter for him to feel less nervous about it. Its probably more to do with accomodating for the best layout.

What I found interesting from the RB driver comments was that they kept referencing Toro Rosso's pace as looking good, meaning they were using them as some sort of measuring stick. It also seemed that Honda wasn't hindered by Red Bulls lack of running during the second test so it does seem like they were more or less the same spec. What has been stated is that the PU actually evolved during testing with new parts almost every day albeit temporary parts.
Toro Rosso and their drivers did a great service to the Honda folks for keeping the car up and running as well as the stability and continuity in the data gathered.

PhillipM
PhillipM

From what I heard it's mainly just odd heatshielding issues, they're getting some hotspots they don't like - nothing with actual cooler sizes or anything like that. Just need to make a little more room for shielding or cooling air around some pockets/areas.

Very similar problem to when they first started with Mclaren tbfh #-o

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

This reminds me of the 2014 winter testing and the frantic body cutting and holing that had to be done because of the bodywork getting baked-up.

dren

PhillipM wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:44
From what I heard it's mainly just odd heatshielding issues, they're getting some hotspots they don't like - nothing with actual cooler sizes or anything like that. Just need to make a little more room for shielding or cooling air around some pockets/areas.

Very similar problem to when they first started with Mclaren tbfh #-o
Not a huge issue at all and less than what I expected. Good to hear.
Honda!

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

A formula one team being supplied with an engine will have to produce bodywork to suite and not the other way round.

Marti_EF3

I've heard that the RB15 have enough room to do this minor changes without compromising the aero... But we will see, it's not a big thing it seems. The STR ran very well during all days :)

bigblue

PhillipM wrote:
From what I heard it's mainly just odd heatshielding issues, they're getting some hotspots they don't like - nothing with actual cooler sizes or anything like that.
Marti_EF3 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 21:06
I've heard that the RB15 have enough room to do this minor changes without compromising the aero... But we will see, it's not a big thing it seems.
You guys have good hearing. Where are you "hearing" these details from ?

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

bigblue wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 22:29
PhillipM wrote:
From what I heard it's mainly just odd heatshielding issues, they're getting some hotspots they don't like - nothing with actual cooler sizes or anything like that.
Marti_EF3 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 21:06
I've heard that the RB15 have enough room to do this minor changes without compromising the aero... But we will see, it's not a big thing it seems.
You guys have good hearing. Where are you "hearing" these details from ?

“I heard that and I heard this” ninety-nine percent it means I read that which is very believable, there are some incredible FI sites that either pushes such things out or carry over such things, one such example of what is pushed out by carrying over plus adding to it popped out today “party mode gone?”.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Since when has any of my previous info come from other F1 sites or articles? :lol: :roll:

GhostF1
GhostF1

The main facts shared here:

- Tanabe san said he was "nervous with the shape of a few components in the current installation, we (Honda) went too aggressive", and they made fixes track side during testing to alleviate some of that without hindering RB and STR's programs.
- Tanabe: "There are no major issues and with the items we have have found to have problems with, we can be ready with permanent countermeasures in place for Melbourne".

To me it sounds like we are jumping the gun a bit. Tanabe has never fed any BS and he doesn't seem too concerned.

GhostF1
GhostF1

saviour stivala wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:55
This reminds me of the 2014 winter testing and the frantic body cutting and holing that had to be done because of the bodywork getting baked-up.
You mean like McLaren did with the Renault the whole year last year? Mysterious cooling holes cut open all over the place, some still present this year actually.
I haven't seen any evidence of that whatsoever...
Curiously though, Ferrari, Mercedes (and McLaren for 2019) have now painted that whole rear section black. Maybe just livery related, maybe not

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

GhostF1 wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 01:40
saviour stivala wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:55
You mean like McLaren did with the Renault the whole year last year? Mysterious cooling holes cut open all over the place, some still present this year actually.
I haven't seen any evidence of that whatsoever...
Curiously though, Ferrari, Mercedes (and McLaren for 2019) have now painted that whole rear section black. Maybe just livery related, maybe not
No I didn't meant that. Honda returned to F1 racing supplying McLaren with their RA615H in 2015 and not in 2014.